120-140 flights daily, 1400+ waiting for slots....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That's a lot of planes landing at Port-au-Prince.

The ramp was designed to accomodate 15 larges planes, apparently they are handling up to 40 right now or put another way, gridlock.

I know people have been complaining about the priority of certain flights, but hat's off to the people handling this, it's no easy task.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
About the only way they could speed this up is with open tail C130s doing touch and go's with drag lines to pull the cargo out the tail. Then you still got to get it off the runway,

dont even know if its possible, the only relief effort I can think of that was bigger and lasted longer was the Berlin Air Lift, and they had 2 entry and 2 exit corridors.

They are doing a hell of a job!!!!

May 5, 2007
C 17's would be even more efficient in LAPES extractions, but two serious problems : One is the danger involved, TV makes it look simple and routine but it takes an experienced pilot to keep from flying the plane into the ground If the proper nose up isn't made at critical juncture, the plane does a quick nose down when load is released and 10' AGL doesn't leave much time for correction

This method was designed for "hot" LZ's and or unimproved fields, not speed at a perfectly good strip

Two: it's not safe at a heavily populated and crowded airfield

Beside, people hate like hell when they re pulled out the tail end of a plane

The arrival of goods via ship will alleviate these issues

About the only way they could speed this up is with open tail C130s doing touch and go's with drag lines to pull the cargo out the tail. Then you still got to get it off the runway,

dont even know if its possible, the only relief effort I can think of that was bigger and lasted longer was the Berlin Air Lift, and they had 2 entry and 2 exit corridors.

They are doing a hell of a job!!!!