What does your country status mean in case of danger?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The second way is to have US residency first and turn it in for a 10 year US visitor's visa. A secret our family learned.

I'm smarter than that, I'm going to turn my green card yes but for a citizenchip.
Si Dios quiere...
Una cosa piensa el burro y otra el que lo monta.:surprised

JJ

Reactions: ExtremeR

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
yes I do, but I don't have enough time living here so I will have to wait a little bit, I think one more year to send the application.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The good about the citizenship is that if you are living in DR and something happens for ex. look the situation that is living our neighbor Haiti right now. I think that in evacuation to the US maybe your wife won't be aloud to come with you with a tourist visa.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Since she has a valid visa that has not been "abused", there would be no reason to deny her entry in such a situation. If it were necessary for whatever reason that we live in the US, I would have to apply for her residency again so she could be there legally longer than 3 months at a time.

Sorry, I mean to fly with you in one of those emergency governmental flights to take American citizens out of danger .
like in 1965 in the DR when the civil war..

JJ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry, I mean to fly with you in one of those emergency governmental flights to take American citizens out of danger .
like in 1965 in the DR when the civil war..

JJ

We are getting away from the topic. If you wish to continue this discussion I can move your posts to DR debates or actually the earthquake forum.

We can call it "what does your status mean in the DR in case of danger" or something like that.;)

Your call

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Sure if you think it would be interesting, I will appreciate any decision you take as you are more experienced in these immigration topics.

JJ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sure if you think it would be interesting, I will appreciate any decision you take as you are more experienced in these immigration topics.

JJ

I don't know a thing. I'm just here to direct traffic :cheeky:

I do think it will make a good discussion though. I'll send you a pm and let you know where it landed ;)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This discussion happened in another forum but thought it would be useful info for everyone.

I know for Canadians that were visiting or living in Haiti at the time of the earthquake their status in Canada and how fast they were airlifted went like this.

First to be airlifted out of Haiti;

1.Canadian Citizens that found their way into the Canadian Embassy
2. Anyone in Haiti with a Canadian Residency Card

3. Anyone with a visitor visa in hand?
Not sure as nothing has been announced yet. They have said that visitor visas would be issued to Haitians that have relatives in Canada but nothing has been done so far.

Does anyone know how the US has handled this?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
For us, there was no way possible to get my wife a visitor's visa to the US while we lived in the DR except for getting residency first and then turning it in for a visitor's visa. As a US citizen, that really pi$$ed me off.

It wasn't planned to happen that way, but that is what we discovered was the reality of the situation and our best and only option to allow for some travel off the island.

You played that deck of cards really, really bad. I know you want to do everything the right way and by the books, but there's so many ways to bypass that options is really mindblowing you took that route.