Some kind of map or sat view of where this quake was felt

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I am now hearing about people all over the country having felt this quake. I personally felt absolutely zero, nor do I know anyone else in Santo Domingo who felt this. My pondering is this, if we didn't feel it here then how did people on a direct ling through us feel it. I don't understand how these things are felt but U understand it is 2 plates sliding along each other or bumping heads whatever and so I find that strange that this is possible/probable.
Has anyone found an enhanced diagram of what exactly moved where and why.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
The owner of google has posted new sat. imagery of the quake zone in google earth.
Amazing.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I beleive you only felt it if you were in a building at the time, is this correct or did people feel it outside in other areas(obviously not at the epicenter)

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
my neighbour felt it , there are 2 aptments on the ground floor side by side she felt it we never she was sitting , we think we were coming back from duarte and thats why , our landlord lives up stairs she never felt it , 2 streets over a man from montreal felt it he was sitting down, none of us felt the 6.1 aftershock but was 5 a,m i believe lets hope no more

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband's family who work in SD office buildings - 4-5th floors - felt the whole building move, and my sister-in-law who works for Codetel in SD said the entire building swayed and when she looked outside she could see a signpost swaying. The building supposedly has alarms but none went off so no one left to go outside, but she said nearby several buildings vacated. My brother-in-law was in his house in SD and felt the earth move and he got dizzy. My husband and I were about 15 miles west of SD and we both felt it strongly. My mother-in-law was with us, but she was laying down in bed so she didn't feel it. So, I think it depends on your location in SD at the time of the quake - the higher up in buildings the more you felt it.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
I felt it in Imbert althought it was not strong. I was sitting on the bed and I felt the bed start to move back and forth.(No Jokes LOL) To me it only lasted about 5 seconds but everyone started running into the streets.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
cabarete

We felt it. I was sitting on my terrace 2nd floor. First thought, that my bloodpression again was crazy. Then I saw the door of our room moving, a basket hanging in the kitchen was swinging, I felt like little drunken.
interesting : first our three dogs didn't react while the first quake. but some minutes later our big one became crazy, running around and around and.....
sabra

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
POP:
I was sitting in my bed (1st level ABOVE the ground floor) playing with my laptop. The bed started swaying. I looked up, surprised and realized EVERYTHING was swaying (NOT shaking). I hollered "Earthquake" to my cousin in the bedroom next door, who came over, swaying himself too like on a boat. I was already up, laptop closed under my arm, keys to the balcony steel gate in my hands fumbling trying to unlock it to gain access to the outside (we could fairly safely jump from there). Then we noticed it was not seeming to get worse. Jokingly observed the rocking chair on our neighbor's balcony rocking all alone like there was a ghost sitting in it... the trees swaying too. We decided to exit thru the main door on the ground floor (something that, after observing the damages in Haiti on TV I would NOT do anymore!) and rushed to the open and met a good bunch of somewhat excited neighbors. It was all over.
Got back in, surprised to find electricity and internet still on, and about 3 minutes later the news about PAP started to come in.
We immediately mass e-mailed family and friends abroad to reassure everybody WE were OK.
Cell phones were over flowed until late that evening.

We prepared an emergency suit case and also developed a key location discipline we now still follow... just in case.

We were in La Vega 3 days ago, when in the morning, around 6AM there was a strong after shock felt West of PAP. My cousin felt it... I slept rite thru it.

I think like so many, I have researched the subject and the physics behind it quite a bit since what to do and what NOT to do, should I ever face such a situation or worse on again.
I plan to go to the school where "my" girls are at and do a lesson on it too.

... J-D.