Future earthquake in POP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007
I was debating either I should post this or not as people might start worrying but I think it has to be said right?
Anyways, someone just told me htey met a man on the plane (Geologist or seismologist) and he said that they were watching for a big earthquake (maybe even bigger than 7!) in the Puerto-Plata area sometime soon, like next week or so! Just wanted to know if anyone else heard about this? Or is this not true?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I was debating either I should post this or not as people might start worrying but I think it has to be said right?
Anyways, someone just told me htey met a man on the plane (Geologist or seismologist) and he said that they were watching for a big earthquake (maybe even bigger than 7!) in the Puerto-Plata area sometime soon, like next week or so! Just wanted to know if anyone else heard about this? Or is this not true?

Chicken Litter mentally :cheeky:

The last time I checked, scientists can NOT predict or forecast when an earthquake is going to strike.

So what you heard is WRONG. Now you can go and hide under your bed!

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Listen to the BBC report I posted on here, it will explain everything to you. Santiago is 10 miles from the centre of one of the main lines, might be hit tomorrow, might be hit in 800 years. As far as predicting a time, the professionals clearly state this is completely impossible to do.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
100% sure its not true. ignore it.

could a quake happen next week? sure. but the timing cannot be predicted

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't think anyone is able to predict any quakes with that sort of specificity.

Here's a January 15th article which states geologists are running models to see what effect the Haiti quake 'might' have on the same & nearby faults.
After Haiti, Worries About Other Big Quakes | Current Affairs - ISNS

From the article:
REGARDING EFFECT ON SEPTENTRIONAL FAULT
The ... Haitian quake on the Enriquillo fault ... could affect the nearby Septentrional fault in the north, which runs through Haiti and the Dominican Republic and has been quiet for more than 800 years, according to USGS scientist Prentice

TIME FRAMES
It will be weeks before scientists know whether these models give us a better idea of new risks in the Caribbean. But Stein said that even when models do identify areas of risk -- whether in the Caribbean, Turkey or California -- they cannot predict when the next earthquake will come.

To predict when earthquakes will occur, some scientists try to examine the historical record of when and how often quakes have occurred in the past. This too poses challenges, said Stein, because only the very tiniest temblors -- of magnitude 1 or 2 -- tend to occur in regular, repeating intervals.

"There has been some progress in long-term earthquake forecasting where we estimate the likelihood in a period of years to decades of an earthquake occurring," said Michael Hamburger of Indiana University in Bloomington. "But that is not the same as short-term earthquake prediction -- to say that an earthquake is happening in the next few weeks, and we can evacuate a town."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Check back with us at the end of next week.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

The info is true, what is wrong is the timing, nobody can narrow down an earthquake in a year, let alone a week. But the fact that the DR is due to a big earthquake is true. I hope DR buildings are built strong enough to withstand such shaking.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The 800 yr built up stress on the fault line running through the central/northern DR will rupture at one point, this could be tomorrow, or it could be in 500 years. If you are in a solid building, you will be fine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just checked in, thought that might be what you'd post. Good article. ome of those guys have worked with Orlando Franco and Osiris de Le?n....PUCMM folks...

Build well...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.