Wander Franco searched for at homes by Dominican authorities amid disturbing allegations

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Strange, if he knew he had these issues in DR, why even go back to the DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sex with minors has been part of Dominican culture for decades. It's going to take more than a few new laws and social media posts to change it. One need look no further than their local colmado the weekend following the 1st and 15th of every month if they have any doubts about these arrangements.
As the world turns...

Reactions: Fulano2

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
having a 100+ million-dollar contract makes him a target for every accusation there is.
While I agree...I doubt the MLB would have suspended him if there was not some truth to the accusations. And the MLBPA agreeing with the suspension. Unfortunately, we will probably never know the whole story.

Last edited:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Agree that money probably had a lot to do with this. But when you are/were in the position that Franco is/was in (MLB), you need to be careful what you do, who you associate with. The baseball academies that the MLB have in the DR drills this into these players from day one. Tells them what to watch out for, etc... Over the years there have been baseball players that have gotten in trouble for being with underaged girls. One that comes to mind is a Dominican player, Julio Valdez who was with the Red Sox and went to jail over this in the US (I think this was back in the 80's, saw an article a while back about it). Maybe Franco should have stayed in the US and let this all play out in the DR.

Reactions: Aguaita29

Big

Apr 24, 2019
A
Agree that money probably had a lot to do with this. But when you are/were in the position that Franco is/was in (MLB), you need to be careful what you do, who you associate with. The baseball academies that the MLB have in the DR drills this into these players from day one. Tells them what to watch out for, etc... Over the years there have been baseball players that have gotten in trouble for being with underaged girls. One that comes to mind is a Dominican player, Julio Valdez who was with the Red Sox and went to jail over this in the US (I think this was back in the 80's, saw an article a while back about it). Maybe Franco should have stayed in the US and let this all play out in the DR.
For a Dominican player to be called up to the Bigs is tantamount to winning the lottery twice in the same day. It is extremely rare. The young players are making more money than anyone can get there mind around. This makes them a target for every woman or girl that wants a slice of his fortune. Of course, the MLB will suspend him pronto. They do not want their product sullied. It appears they are sensitive to the issue when they suspend the player. Most of the time it is a money grab and the person who makes the accusation goes away for what amounts to pocket change for a MLB player. This young man did not assault anyone, if anything he is the victim.

Reactions: jd426
Jan 9, 2004
As to Julio Valdez, the charges were subsequently dismissed...............but it ended his career in MLB. He coached in the DR until his death last year.

As to Wander, he may not have been able to stay in the US as his P1 visa needs annual renewal by his employer............and the Rays may have felt some pressure from MLB to not renew yet until the matter plays out in the DR. Adding, this is the time of year when all those foreign born baseball athletes are under pressure to get those visas renewed to attend spring training in February.

FYI: Until he eventually became a citizen, the great Manny Ramirez was notorious for not getting his annual visa application processed on time

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
A
For a Dominican player to be called up to the Bigs is tantamount to winning the lottery twice in the same day. It is extremely rare. The young players are making more money than anyone can get there mind around. This makes them a target for every woman or girl that wants a slice of his fortune. Of course, the MLB will suspend him pronto. They do not want their product sullied. It appears they are sensitive to the issue when they suspend the player. Most of the time it is a money grab and the person who makes the accusation goes away for what amounts to pocket change for a MLB player. This young man did not assault anyone, if anything he is the victim.
Again, I doubt we know the entire story. The MLB suspended him and the MLBPA agreed to the suspension. Money grab, that I agree with you on, but not knowing the entire situation makes it hard to place blame/responsibility.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I guarantee you that this idiot confirmed his relationship with this minor via whatsapp a hundred times. He might swing and run pretty good but don't expect to much brain from this guy.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I doubt that this would be a story if Wander was an ordinary Dominican.
absolutely. If he was a moto driver the girls would not admit to being in the same block as him. Every actor, music star and wealthy person is a money tree.

Reactions: jd426

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
absolutely. If he was a moto driver the girls would not admit to being in the same block as him. Every actor, music star and wealthy person is a money tree.
Agree about money but my question is does it make it right? Is it ok what he "allegedly" did? I know it happens here in the DR all the time, but does it make it right?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
And she is 17 too ? this is a BS, NON Story ..
if anything he is being Extorted.
I do not think so...if the MLBPA thought for one minute that it was false they would have never agreed to the suspension. Or the length of the suspension.

Reactions: Juan Bosch