2 Gay men in Jarabacoa..will there be any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No, I'd say that listening to a few gringos living in tourist would only paint part of a realistic picture... so read what I wrote above and consider it's from someone who first travelled here over 20 years ago and has now lived here close to 10 years. 17 of those years working alongside Dominicans and a portion of that time in Santiago as a key member in a very large Dominican employer. My exposure to the Dominican population by far is not limited to tourist areas or lower socio-economic class individuals who may be opportunists.

Attitudes have certainly changed. Also, Dominicans also believe foreigners are generally very tolerant of homosexuality and no doubt that can influence what one hears. But to say that homosexuality or bisexuality are openly accepted here or widely practiced is misleading to say the least. Just listen to a bunch of guys drinking or at the gym or whereever there is a tv on when a program like duenos de circo comes on and you will get a good idea of still traditional attitudes.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
oh, and chip... si piensas que posiblemente una falta de habilidad para hablar en espa?ol y que no estoy involucrado en las vidas de los dominicanos es la razon que no comprender la realidad como tu, piensalo otra vez.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes because a few gringos living in tourists areas would know better. :)

What on earth are you talking about CHIP? who lives around tourists? What are you talking about?

Jesus chip you are such a frinkin Homophobe it is embarrassing. Why are you so worried about the plight of sexual orientation in DR, I think you are so far removed from the idea of people being openly gay and closet Bi-sexual that you hear what you want to hear. Any bunch of guys in a Colmado will make fun of a dancing nancy boy, that is the point of being a dancing nancy boy, they love the attention. Men in groups being men will be macho, it is normal internationally. But I have never seen it to the face of a gay guy, never seen a guy offended because he is gay, never seen a guy punch a guy just because he is gay, people get along with it, infact as it goes, everyone but you, but I did say I've only ever witnessed Homophobia from American men, you prove my point to a T, thankyou.
Get with the plan Chip, you're obvious phobia stinks, and in itself is less tolerated than the homo's themselves these days, you make yourself the offending party by giving a toss what others do to make themselves happy. I only see you with this opinion here Chip, you and jesus, the guy conceived through a virgin, go figure who is more realist!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
oh, and chip... si piensas que posiblemente una falta de habilidad para hablar en espa?ol y que no estoy involucrado en las vidas de los dominicanos es la razon que no comprender la realidad como tu, piensalo otra vez.

The guy is beginnig to disappear up his own ass!

I apologise Chip but your sanctimonious tone on all things Dominican can be tiring. I live as far removed from anything tourist as you can imagine, the Capital and Jarabacoa alike. I just don't get this point you constantly make, as if you are the only person who has integrated into the country entirely.

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't think Chip is wrong about what he reports seeing in his daily life. However, from his posts he may not associate with an extremely diverse group, and also certain topics aren't always discussed freely when someone wears their contrary beliefs as a badge of honor.

I'll grant that Chip is reporting it as he sees it. However, I'm confident in what I've posted as well. Same country, different realities. I think we're both trying to simply report based on our life experiences, even though they're obviously not similar.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I agree, as I said originally, I don't think him a jesus hang out with a diverse group. But the 'I don't associate with tourists' card gets played constantly whenever there is a difference of opinion. I accept he does not see this, he does not recognize what he is seeing, but I don't see why there has to be an issue about the reality that some of us others live in, have experienced and are confident is the reality.
It is difficult to have a discussion with someone who only sees life from a one dimensional perspective.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Just listen to a bunch of guys drinking or at the gym or whereever there is a tv on when a program like duenos de circo comes on and you will get a good idea of still traditional attitudes.

As already noted, you must not get out much. Not only are there gay tourists that are NOT looking to get "serviced" by locals, there is a growing gay culture in larger cities. But really you don't have to go to a tourist area or big city to recognize what CFA123 has been trying to get across. Dominicans might not be "PC" about it (along with many other things, as some will also straight-up call you fat, black, ugly, etc. if those labels apply), but as the OP asked, there WON'T "be any problems". You are mistaken in thinking that the macho humor that people put up always represents their true sentiments...sometimes it is even a major front. Try your local cabanyas and bars late on a weekend night and you'll see those SAME sh*t talking guys leaving with some ladies that might make you take a second glance. Also many campos have well-known queens that are beloved local icons. You probably won't bump into them at mass, though.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
never mind.....lol

I didnt think they existed either chip until I met my first one , I thought I was the only one, now I recognise them much better and they are everywhere

May 29, 2006
This is a country where this guy was on the local news with more credibility than the weathermen:

images

He makes Liberace look like Bruce Willis.

Horoscopo - YouTube

Guys in gyms being homophobic? Get out of town..

May 29, 2006
This is a country where this guy was on the local news with more credibility than the weathermen:

images

He makes Liberace look like Bruce Willis.

Horoscopo - YouTube

Guys in gyms being homophobic? Get out of town..

If you hear someone use the term "pato" or "paloma" behind your back(duck or dove), they are making a gay reference. There are other more offensive terms, but not that I would mention here.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My spouses cousin has a diverse group of friends, most of them are gay males. Some are rather well known and I have never seen them treated any different. In fact each time I have gone out with her and her friends they are the toast of the town so to speak. I have seen some of the most macho of macho dominican men come over to the table and converse and join in the fun. The majority of her " gay friends " come from very well to do families. Traditional attitudes?? Are these the same traditional attitudes that say that cheating on your spouse is expected, beating a woman is the norm?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As already noted, you must not get out much. Not only are there gay tourists that are NOT looking to get "serviced" by locals, there is a growing gay culture in larger cities. But really you don't have to go to a tourist area or big city to recognize what CFA123 has been trying to get across. Dominicans might not be "PC" about it (along with many other things, as some will also straight-up call you fat, black, ugly, etc. if those labels apply), but as the OP asked, there WON'T "be any problems". You are mistaken in thinking that the macho humor that people put up always represents their true sentiments...sometimes it is even a major front. Try your local cabanyas and bars late on a weekend night and you'll see those SAME sh*t talking guys leaving with some ladies that might make you take a second glance. Also many campos have well-known queens that are beloved local icons. You probably won't bump into them at mass, though.

Maybe it's the circles one runs in, who knows.

More than likely it's you making stuff up along the way to make your point.

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009

WOW...you are one hard headed old man..lol...look...this country is full of gay males everywhere u go..Ive met gay dudes when my wife took me to el campo, Ive met/seen gay guys just about everywhere u go in santiago including some of the roughest barrios...so really CHIP, I have no idea where you've been hanging out..

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I see gay people... (read like the little kid in the move 'The Sixth Sense')

Wrong, Chip. I am certainly not "making stuff up", absolutely no need to do so. No, I don't feel the need to make myself credible to anyone by virtually outing locals that I know, on an expat forum, to prove a point. I know some gladly start naming examples about their Dominican wife's brothers' dentist Juan, this one guy in their class, the dudes at the gym, but that's just not so classy, objective, and just not some folks' style. I suppose I could resort to posting photos, PICHARDO style, of me and my friend "Roberta" and her gay and lesbian entourage at the local bar. But people might say she's hotter than me and make me feel bad. :bunny:

There are no tourist, expat, or elite Dominican enclaves in Barahona, so don't bother trying to one-up me there. People have different perspectives, experiences, and relationships based on what they live. Just acknowledge they are different than yours and move on, no need to try to invalidate them.

Keep your day job (motoconcho, right?) and leave the gay analysis and gaydar to people that aren't homophobic and don't have a religious agenda.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When you marry a Dominican that does not make you Dominican. It does not come with a honorary " I am now Dominican " certificate. Chip...Dominicans are much more evolved than you give them credit for. They are much more accepting than you think. Maybe those you have associated with are more closed minded, campo type of people who don't get out of the campo much but Dominicans are much more " worldly " (sp?) than you think. Please give the Dominican people more credit than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.