21 Things You Should Know - New DR1 Article!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
19) Don?t ever, ever, ever shower after you eat!!!!!!!
Whatever you do, don't ever, ever, ever let a Dominican catch you taking a shower after you eat a large meal. Once again there is no logical explanation for this one, but Dominicans think it taboo to shower after you eat, as if you?ll open up the shower head get a cramp and drown while showering. My guess is that somewhere along the line, some unfortunate Dominican got a cramp in the shower after eating too much mangu and thought that the shower water, and not the mangu, was to blame. Or maybe some poor soul confused a pool with a shower and a stomach full of food with cramps. Either way if you do decide to shower after you eat, take a life preserver and a whistle with you and hope to god you don?t drown.

This was one of the things in the article, however, this only applies to going into the beach after eating a large meal, not a regular shower!!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
yeah, but see thats the point, there is no logical explanation for being scared of showering after you eat. in the ocean, yeah, in the shower, not so much. or did you miss the point completely?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Medically, they're the same.

But the article talked about the way Dominicans feel about it. I know the medical reasons for it, but when talking about it in DR, it is not referred to about showers. It is solely spoken about for sumerging in water (beach, rivers, or pools)

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Guess you havent been here long enough because it is specifically refering to showers. The funny part about it is that it should only be a concern when you go into beach waters (right?), but it is a concern for dominicans to shower after you eat. we know about getting cramps after you eat in the water etc. but in the shower?

tommy3102

Sep 14, 2007
#16 - the Vicks Vapor Rub is so true - my mother-in-law, rest her soul, used vapor rub on my young son every chance she could. We had to ban it from the house! Too funny.

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Brilliant article - and much of it is also applicable to inland parts of Spain - particularly during the Franco era. I remember a woman telling me that I absolutely must not wash my hair or have a shower when I had my period, as I could get sick and maybe die.....I've also had sweets given to me in Andalucia as part of change.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Brilliant article - and much of it is also applicable to inland parts of Spain - particularly during the Franco era. I remember a woman telling me that I absolutely must not wash my hair or have a shower when I had my period, as I could get sick and maybe die.....I've also had sweets given to me in Andalucia as part of change.

Euterpe - unfortunately this is as much as an old-wives tale as it is true. If you dont get your body used to doing certain things during your period, you can shock your body by suddenly doing it one day.

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Can I use that at work :cheeky:?
"I cant work during my period because I feel too awful, ergo I cant work the rest of the year either, Boss !":bunny:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Those two are also reflected in traditional Chinese medicine. Not necessarily about the fridge, but in regard to drinking cold water if you're hot. Very interesting.

This may possibly come from African Culture. I'm not black and neither was my grandmother, but she used to tell me DO NOT drink ICE WATER if you're hot and sweaty. Never could figure it out cause it tasted SOOOOOO good. But then, in South Texas in the30's it was a given that it was bad for you to do so. Ole slaves tale???? Who knows, but it is still in circulation down there.

Texas Bill

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
agreed in Kansas, no AZB nothing to do with Dorthy

This may possibly come from African Culture. I'm not black and neither was my grandmother, but she used to tell me DO NOT drink ICE WATER if you're hot and sweaty. Never could figure it out cause it tasted SOOOOOO good. But then, in South Texas in the30's it was a given that it was bad for you to do so. Ole slaves tale???? Who knows, but it is still in circulation down there.

Texas Bill

Was thought to give you stomach cramps. I guess. thats what I was told,

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007

Texas Bill

I thought this only applied to horses ?
( but perchance Texas Bill is idem ???)

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
LOL! good one! in a matter a fact, my parents and grandmother always warns me not to open the fridge when i'm hot and sweaty, however it is to prevent me from getting pneumonia!.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005

Texas Bill

Drinking cold drinks will mean that blood is used to warm up the stomage. ergo less blood that can go to the skinsurface for cooling with possible heatstroke as a consequence