3 yr old with Cancer needs your help!!

I saw Diosa Andrea and her mom in front of Merengue Bar last night. I approached her after reading the thread on here yesterday. The mom told me nothing was scheduled or being done to help out the little girl. The little girl is so cute and active and her condition looks bad. So not sure what is going on? Does anyone have any updates? I have her number if anyone wants it they can PM me.

The mother is extremely suspicious of people taking her child away bc of what certain gringos have been saying and past experiences.
So yes things are happening but not much can be said at this time bc of patient privacy.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Everybody understands patient privacy concerns. But this is a little girl with cancer in her face. What's the deal with privacy?
I have not heard the Mother be concerned about privacy. How are people supposed to feel comfortable donating? Chemo has already been mentioned at the GoFundMe listing, so are the 8
treatments the Chemo?

Like Web, I have also gotten conflicting reports. The mother knows nothing about a Dr in Santiago. Is there a Dr in Santiago that is going to
help? I understand information can get scrambled in a case like this, but we need some clarifications. We're being asked to donate.

Yes I understand that people want to know what is going on if they are wanted to donate.
The mom is being difficult with things and I guess is still telling a lot of stories...

My good friend has been going every 3 days to their house and getting food for the whole family and of course for Andrea as well as vitamins in hopes of getting her stronger.

My good friend is going with Andrea and her mom on the Bus to Santiago kids Hosp May 25th, then the following Thursday and 7 Thursdays after that.

Andrea has only been able to eat baby food, so hopefully this treatment she will be able to eat chewable food.

My friend will try and get all the information she can when in Santiago with the Dr and update pictures with Andrea and the Dr's etc...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I just spoke with the mom. She says no one is helping her at appointments with money and that there are no regular Thursday appointments happening. She does have a couple appointments that are coming up soon, but she says there is no one going with her to help.

Could your friends come on dr1 and explain what's going on?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Certainly can't hurt - if we all share it on Facebook we might make a difference.

Did the 8 weeks of treatment (chemo?) actually get started? The mother is saying no. Can somebody explain that one away? Is there someone on the ground helping her get the funds she needs? What funds have been disbursed thus far? If somebody can provide some answers, than great - I'm all in.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
The last GoFundMe update was May 19. It does not give a progress report on the treatment plan, nor does it explain what is actually being done. My foundation has a donation targeted for this cause, but we are unable to contribute until we receive information about what is actually taking place and how the contributions will be dispersed. If someone has updated information, if you don't care to post on this thread, please PM me the information. Otherwise, we are unable to be a part of this cause.

Lindsey

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
The last GoFundMe update was May 19. It does not give a progress report on the treatment plan, nor does it explain what is actually being done. My foundation has a donation targeted for this cause, but we are unable to contribute until we receive information about what is actually taking place and how the contributions will be dispersed. If someone has updated information, if you don't care to post on this thread, please PM me the information. Otherwise, we are unable to be a part of this cause.

Lindsey

I'm not sure if this will help, but I sent an email directly to the organizer of the 'Go Fund Me' page. Hopefully I'll get a response and get things moving again. I'll PM any information I receive to you.

Ok so the mom has been resistant to help and I had not been sharing info from my friend bc she was so upset about the resistance she wasn't telling me anything but last week little Andrea had to go to the emerg for something not sure what but my friend took them and the Dom dr looked at the mom and said "your daughter is dying, let these people help you this is the only chance you will get!"
The mom finally got it, she really had no idea that her daughter was dying till then. She knew she had cancer but really didn't know what that meant.
I am so relieved!! So hopefully this will
make things easier. I know Andrea went to Santiago, not really sure of the result of that. I have been trying to get answers to questions but it is a bit like pulling teeth!!!

I just spoke with the mom. She says no one is helping her at appointments with money and that there are no regular Thursday appointments happening. She does have a couple appointments that are coming up soon, but she says there is no one going with her to help.

Could your friends come on dr1 and explain what's going on?

Just so you know there are people helping her and a few times the mom does not show up to the hospital for the appointments. For instance the mom did not make it to the appointment in Santiago but others went with Andrea.
The mom has problems of her own but is trying her best.

Aug 21, 2007
The problem is bigger than anything you or I have the ability to help. This little girl and her (cooperating) mother need a social worker acquainted with the the systems in the DR AND a team of people willing to help with basic needs at home, health, nuitrition, transportation, medication, food, and information explaining medical procedures. All these individuals should be both Dominicans and Gringos, people well informed and knowledgeable. This is something that takes months and years in first world countries. It takes so much more in developing countries....and that is assuming the doctors involved are also decent and dedicated.

It takes not only money, but commitment from the family and all others involved. And in my limited experience working with individuals such as this, more often than not, the ultimate heartbreak happens. The patient dies of something else.

Sorry.

Lindsey

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The swelling for her tongue has gone down but is now pushing on her brain causing horrible headaches. She is getting healthy food and vitamins. I am sorry I don't know more I am really trying to pull info out of people!!!

Why is it difficult to get info? That should not be the case. No update on the fundme page for 20 days - but still collecting money. Is there something else going on?

And I'm skeptical re the stories of the mother being difficult. I've talked to her and I don't see that at all. And again, what happened to the 8 weeks of treatment? Why didn't that happen? Did some money disappear? I've heard rumors of something happening. How much has been spent?

But if they are having so much trouble with the mother as your friends are saying, I have two friends in Sosua that can help. One is a Dom businessman and the other an expat female - both are friends of the mom. Why doesn't everybody get together and come up with a game plan? I can put your friends in touch with them.

Last edited:
They have a Dominican interpreter now and that is helping a lot. If your friends are interested contact Dominican Aid, they are helping with this as well or contact the go fund me people to get more info.

You can be skeptical all you want but nothing shifty is going on. I will introduce you to the family and the volunteers if you want.|

I am only trying to convey info about Andrea on here, I am really not involved with what is going on.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You can be skeptical all you want but nothing shifty is going on.
I am only trying to convey info about Andrea on here, I am really not involved with what is going on.

You're trying to help the little girl and that's very commendable. But no update for the last 21 days. And no transparency as to how the money is being spent. And conflicting stories. That makes people skeptical, no way around that.

$3,960 was sent to Sosua a month ago. People who have contributed would like to hear all the good things that cash has accomplished. And you would think the organizers would be overjoyed to report those good works - right? But there's silence.

I am friends with people helping the little girl, I am not directly helping. She asked me to put info on dr1 so I did. when I get more I will put it on dr1.
Rememebr this is the DR not the U.S., things work slowly here, be patient and I am sure more info will come.

Just bc there is silence does not mean nothing is going on for Andrea.

It will be clear anyways when you see he pics of her now that things are being done.

Last edited: