Jan 16, 2009
short answer Alex.........

depends on where you live
ask your friends and neighbors.........

can vary quite a bit region by region, city by city

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Guess I like dreariness. Almost never eat out, wife doesn't drink and I only drink about once a week or less. Gas for the Santa Fe is a big expense, around 8000 pesos per month or more depending on how many trips to Santiago, car insurance with full coverage around 40,000 pesos a year, excellent medical insurance 8400 pesos per month for two people, Cellphone bill less than 2000 pesos, Cable/internet/home phone around 3000 pesos, electrical and yes we have a/c but only on for sleeping- 2400 pesos per month. Food varies as we give my MIL whatever she asks for to buy food, sometimes it's more than other months. Usually about 20,000 per month. Maid/cook - 7500 per month plus medical = 9000 pesos. Pricesmart once a month - 10-12,000 pesos. We take one or two trips abroad every year- Europe or South America.

I'm with you Bob, I can't imagine spending 5K a month.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Please try to imagine. Just imagine living nicely and not in a hum drum way . Forget about all those dreadful chores, changing sheets, washing dishes , preparing food after shopping . Think about your chauffeur driving through the hurly burly and not yourself becoming frustrated and look forward to someone giving you a dry cocktail before you start eating your specially cooked dinner at 9.30 . I can not imagine living in the DR on less than $5000 a month when so many things are available here. It would cost me about $250,000 to live in London,Paris , the Riviera or,perish the thought,Palm Springs in the way that I can live in the RD for less than $70,000. I suppose I could do as Ian Fleming or Noel Coward and live just as well in Jamaica but I would miss all the good golf courses here .

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
How much are you people paying your "servants?" I clean my own apartment or my friends do it for free. The same goes for food. My friends don't mind cooking at all. The few times ive had a maid clean my apartment she only wanted $15 usd and my place was spotless.
I agree with you alex 100%

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I note that you have no domestic servants and no insurance and no security, do not go the theatre or picture theatres , do not play sport and do not go to the beach and do not give any aid to Dominicans . ,, a very nice little cocoon
yo kip he is paying rent and buy food .. what are you talking about ....

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Kip are you english? I've met a few here that are pompous blowhards. Are you trying to impress people that probably don't give a rats ass about your lifestyle? My point being that that the OP was asking about living on 5k well.
At the end of the day there are people here that generate an income far, far exceeding 5k a month, so what?
You're special? HA...HA... not by a long shot.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Kip are you english? I've met a few here that are pompous blowhards. Are you trying to impress people that probably don't give a rats ass about your lifestyle? My point being that that the OP was asking about living on 5k well.
At the end of the day there are people here that generate an income far, far exceeding 5k a month, so what?
You're special? HA...HA... not by a long shot.

Well Joe ...you jump to conclusions by putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 .. But finally you got to your point and I do NOT think it is easy to live well on $5000 but you can live comfortably ..I do not see the need to write nasty things so I resist from replying in kind

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
So you had to inflict upon everyone your self absorbing diatribes to finally say yes you can live comfortably on 5k/month?

BRAVO!!

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Well Joe ...you jump to conclusions by putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 .. But finally you got to your point and I do NOT think it is easy to live well on $5000 but you can live comfortably ..I do not see the need to write nasty things so I resist from replying in kind

This bloke does seem angry Sir Kipling. Different strokes. I see people on this site that report they live on half of that. I am in my 50s, if I had to live on 5 gees a month I certainly would not consider retiring.Living on a tight budget in retirement is existing and depressing.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This bloke does seem angry Sir Kipling. Different strokes. I see people on this site that report they live on half of that. I am in my 50s, if I had to live on 5 gees a month I certainly would not consider retiring.Living on a tight budget in retirement is existing and depressing.

I live on far less but don't have to, we just don't have an expensive lifestyle.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I live on far less but don't have to, we just don't have an expensive lifestyle.

I hear ya Sir Bob. The o/p is under the fantasy that 5 Gees will enable one to live like a King. It is not the case. One would have to live by and adhere to a strict budget. If he owned his apt/house/condo that would certainly make a difference, that was not indicated. Of course you can live on less than 5 gees here, but you will certainly have to be cognizant of your life style choices. Actually (not knowing the guys age) why not work a few more years and come here with 8 gees a month and visit until you are sure. Most middle aged men are in there prime earning years and if they "retire" and decide to get back in the game later they usually find they are less marketable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I hear ya Sir Bob. The o/p is under the fantasy that 5 Gees will enable one to live like a King. It is not the case. One would have to live by and adhere to a strict budget. If he owned his apt/house/condo that would certainly make a difference, that was not indicated. Of course you can live on less than 5 gees here, but you will certainly have to be cognizant of your life style choices. Actually (not knowing the guys age) why not work a few more years and come here with 8 gees a month and visit until you are sure. Most middle aged men are in there prime earning years and if they "retire" and decide to get back in the game later they usually find they are less marketable.

If the OP is of Dominican heritage he can live pretty close to king-like on 5000 dollars a month. As I've said it depends on whether you are a heavy drinker/party animal pendajo that has to pay to have friends.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
If the OP is of Dominican heritage he can live pretty close to king-like on 5000 dollars a month. As I've said it depends on whether you are a heavy drinker/party animal pendajo that has to pay to have friends.

Good lord Bob are you suggesting Southern is that type?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I live like a drunkin sailor while here and can live comfortably on 3 grand a month. Need to take up golf to hit the magic 5 grand.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I live like a drunken sailor, eat whatever whenever, golf and take the occasional trip for 5k, give or take. Out of country trips and expenses are above and beyond.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Why the heck would you work for a few more years when you can ditch it and live perfectly well on 5k.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Actually my friend is not Dominican. he is a gym rat and does not waste his life drinking his life away.he does like the ladies but he is in shape not an over weight man with a pot belly who needs to pay the to be in the company of ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.