A Dominican posted this perspective on FB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
True, but the difference is the gringo will be the first one to complain to the neighbors or drag someone into court over noise etc, while the Dominicans stay quiet and tight-lipped on the issue over fear of retribution.
One of my neighbors, who happens to live on the third floor on a rise on the street pays loud music every Sunday night until around 10 pm more or less. He has an awesome sound system and pays great music, but it is so loud if you are watching TV or having a conversation you need to have your windows closed and even then, it is difficult to hear anything but his music. I don't think anyone complains because it is usually only for a couple of hours one day a week then off in time for people sleep. I find Sunday evening the noisy part of the week anyways.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I do agree that foreigners should be cautious of their complaints. It's ignorant to constantly complain and continue to subject yourself to things you dislike.
It's very obvious we all have our issues and hold certain distaste for things, but in reality it's much better than our home countries.

Also, I know eventually the gentrification talk will become a thing here. I know I've read the prices going up in Samana and in some places on the north coast. But for the capital, foreigners aren't really out-earning and displacing Dominicans on a level high enough to be called gentrification.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I do agree that foreigners should be cautious of their complaints. It's ignorant to constantly complain and continue to subject yourself to things you dislike.
It's very obvious we all have our issues and hold certain distaste for things, but in reality it's much better than our home countries.

Also, I know eventually the gentrification talk will become a thing here. I know I've read the prices going up in Samana and in some places on the north coast. But for the capital, foreigners aren't really out-earning and displacing Dominicans on a level high enough to be called gentrification.
Over here in the capi the gentrification is being done by Dom Yorks and narco money, making all these high rises to turn into Airbnbs.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have great Neighbors mostly Dominican all respectful all friendly really nice people and trust me if someone played their music past 10:00 they would be on them like white on rice...

Reactions: Lucifer

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
There are a few members of this forum board (all expats_) that post just about everyday and 99% of the time it is negative and most times without back-up information or a link to support their BS. I truly feel sorry for their sorry axe that they decided to live in the negative cacoon of life. They so believe what they are writing that they will write all about their viewpoints everyday. Over and over again. Never positive. Never happy.Never. Never in-put of any kind that would bring a smile to the readers.
Want proof of what I say?? It's written with-in the four corners of their posts. You can't missed it.
I agree 99%. The only place we don't see eye to eye is..... I don't feel sorry for them!

Reactions: CristoRey

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have great Neighbors mostly Dominican all respectful all friendly really nice people and trust me if someone played their music past 10:00 they would be on them like white on rice...
that is for sure not true in the campo where i live.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The thing that makes me think the post is written by a non-Dominican just posing is that it says ".. we also dislike the noise...".

Bullshyte - Every Dominican loves noise at maximum volume until the fillings in your mouth rattle loose.

No Dominican ever said such a blasphemous thing as 'we dislike noise'. Even the frail grandmothers sit in front of mega speakers listening to the tink-a-tink of bachada at 140 decibels while up-ending a Presidente at the corner colmado and tearing off bites of greasy chicken.
I´m Dominican and I don´t like noise either. In my family, some like it, others don´t. My grandma, who was a campo lady, didn´t like the noise either.
I used to live in Santo Domingo with my cousin in a very quiet building. Some noisy neighbors came in, they stood out as they had parties and played loud music, there were lots of complaints about them. They eventually moved out. You can´t generalize. LIke in every country, there's all sorts of people.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I´m Dominican and I don´t like noise either. In my family, some like it, others don´t. My grandma, who was a campo lady, didn´t like the noise either.
I used to live in Santo Domingo with my cousin in a very quiet building. Some noisy neighbors came in, they stood out as they had parties and played loud music, there were lots of complaints about them. They eventually moved out. You can´t generalize. LIke in every country, there's all sorts of people.
Sure there are a few Dominicans who aren't loud or don't like blasting music. But they are very few

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When it gets too loud after 11pm where I live my Dominican neighbors deal with it.
No need to be an obnoxious gringo.

Make a list of things you enjoy about your neighborhood and things you dislike about
your neighborhood. If the cons out way the pros than pick another neighborhood. It's
that simple.

Reactions: colmcb

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Here is one of my experiences.
A little over 6 years ago I stayed with a friend in an upstairs apartment in a Dominican neighborhood.
The Dominican landlord lived downstairs. Grandma, Grandfather, mother Father and grown children with kids.
The late 20s son frequently (every holiday, birthday and weekend) took the speakers out of his Toyota Camry's trunk, broke out the rum and blasted music all night until 4-5 in the morning with no respect to neighbors or nearby church services and all kinds of drunks were drawn to the loud speakers.
It only finally stopped one morning after one of his all night noise fests when the grandmother had a heart attack the following morning and barely survived.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One of my neighbors, who happens to live on the third floor on a rise on the street pays loud music every Sunday night until around 10 pm more or less. He has an awesome sound system and pays great music, but it is so loud if you are watching TV or having a conversation you need to have your windows closed and even then, it is difficult to hear anything but his music. I don't think anyone complains because it is usually only for a couple of hours one day a week then off in time for people sleep. I find Sunday evening the noisy part of the week anyways.
We have a fellow with a colmado on the street behind our building who plays music on weekends, but never loud; it's almost the level of elevator music and usually not past 7-8pm.
Even better, the guy has an excellent sound system and a very eclectic taste for music.
That's about as good as it gets.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
When it gets too loud after 11pm where I live my Dominican neighbors deal with it.
No need to be an obnoxious gringo.

Make a list of things you enjoy about your neighborhood and things you dislike about
your neighborhood. If the cons out way the pros than pick another neighborhood. It's
that simple.
oh, a moral compass! Thanks for setting the bar. Now I’m off to do my daily gratitude list.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
When I move back home this summer, I hope my future neighbors don't mind the weak sound emanating from my tiny JBL speaker (3" x 2.5").
I do wish them to like - or at least be intrigued - by my super-duper eclectic taste, though.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
oh, a moral compass! Thanks for setting the bar. Now I’m off to do my daily gratitude list.
You ever notice I stopped commenting/ responding to your trolling several weeks ago?
I've no doubt some of the brighter members on this forum noticed.
You ever stopped to think why?
Perhaps it's time you did.

#whatsamanolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
When I move back home this summer, I hope my future neighbors don't mind the weak sound emanating from my tiny JBL speaker (3" x 2.5").
I do wish them to like - or at least be intrigued - by my super-duper eclectic taste, though.
I guess you’ll be vibing the Taylor Swift, John Denver, Drake and Marco Antonio Solís

I never got complaints from my Dominican neighbors until I started playing The Three Tenors and Andre Rieu pieces from his Johann Strauss Orchestra!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

Regardless of the size of your speaker or the volume you play your music at, the mere fact that you assume I am at all interested in being compelled to listen to your noise pollution is indicative of the larger problem in this country.

Earplugs for sleeping and noise cancelling headphones at other times are my best friends here.