A good friend just got back

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And I am not getting into a flame war over this.
Just saying that many of the Marines in Haiti have a BAD ATTITUDE TO THEIR SAFE, PAID WORK.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of military presense in Haiti. I can tell you the Chile?os I saw in June had a pretty sour look on their face too. They made it clear to anyone that they didn't want to be bothered.

The other thing to remember is these soldiers are dealing with a lot of Haitans that have no respect for lines and whatnot and will willingly steal from others who just received their goods. This is what one might expect in an alltogether lawless situation wherever it might be.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i was treated extremely well by the 6-10 US military people i interacted with while we were over there.

siegs

May 9, 2006
If you doubt the story -fine - but that does not mean id did not happen.

Guilty until proven innocent?
That sounds fun.

They should learn some manners and a little respect.

And so should you. In ANY large group there are ALWAYS
going to be a few bad apples. That doesn't make the whole barrel sour does it.
I'll go get the fire extinguisher now while you attempt to get a life.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have several good friends on the ground with the UN right now and they have reported back that the people are remarkably well behaved considering, and the main disruption is infact gun waving a$$holes treating people like corralled dogs rather than human beings.
Now stick a bunch of Americans in a similar situation and see how far you might get with getting them to conform to being tret like a dog and spoken to equally. I would imagine the average American would break down, cry an then talk about suing someone about something.

Haitians are always peaceful, that's why the UN troops went around in armoured cars loaded for bear, and that's before the earthquake. As usual you have nothing to say, and what you do say, you do it with a chip on your shoulder.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And so should you. In ANY large group there are ALWAYS
going to be a few bad apples. That doesn't make the whole barrel sour does it.
I'll go get the fire extinguisher now while you attempt to get a life.

Siegs as in Heil??

If you are going to quote me then do not insert stuff I did not say.
Have a little respect.
If you do not like what I say, fine.
But are you calling me a liar??

siegs

May 9, 2006
My answers are in RED sport.

Siegs as in Heil??
Cute but shallow.
Norwegian by birth but I appreciate your curiosity.

If you are going to quote me then do not insert stuff I did not say.I didn't insert anything yet. And if I did you would know it.

Have a little respect.Share a little get a little. Lot of young men and women (of ALL nationalities by the way) helping alot people right across the border.THAT'S what I respect.

If you do not like what I say, fine.Fine.

But are you calling me a liar??Absolutely not. How 'bout dinner?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Dinner sounds fine....thanks..

We could discuss your theory of a few bad apples.
They have an entire industry of police and a legal system to deal with the bad apples because it was decided by those who created our society that it was important to do sometihng about it.
The Marines answer to nobody but the Marines in a situation like this.
It is only when the bad apples do something newsworthy that everybody jumps on board and they get stuck in jail.
That will not happen here.
There is no redress.
That sucks.

siegs

May 9, 2006
I have several good friends on the ground with the UN right now and they have reported back that the people are remarkably well behaved considering, and the main disruption is infact gun waving a$$holes treating people like corralled dogs rather than human beings.
Now stick a bunch of Americans in a similar situation and see how far you might get with getting them to conform to being tret like a dog and spoken to equally. I would imagine the average American would break down, cry an then talk about suing someone about something.

Another breath of fresh air.
There are, I'm sure, plenty of cliffs and mountain vistas to enjoy in Haiti.
Have a look. And while you're there perhaps you yourself could lend a hand to those suffering. Can't be a fun job but there are plenty of Americans, Dominicans and others certainly trying their best in horrible situation.

I'm going to get my "a$$hole" checked now - after I talk to my lawyer.
Oh yeah - then I'll sue someone.

You want to come over for dinner too???

siegs

May 9, 2006
Dinner sounds fine....thanks..

We could discuss your theory of a few bad apples. Ready.

They have an entire industry of police and a legal system to deal with the bad apples because it was decided by those who created our society that it was important to do sometihng about it. Industry of police? We hardly have any industry left in this country (US). Or you may be speaking of a different nation? Or planet ???

The Marines answer to nobody but the Marines in a situation like this. I'm quite sure there are veterans reading this that would disagree with this. It's called democracy.

It is only when the bad apples do something newsworthy that everybody jumps on board and they get stuck in jail. You said it and are a PRIME example. Thank you.

That will not happen here.Nor should it to those undeserving.

There is no redress.No there isn't. I (personally) would like to think this country as well as others offer their help unconditionally.

That sucks.

Yup you're sucking the air right out of the room.
Meat loaf tonite by the way.
If you're still interested.

siegs

May 9, 2006
You misunderstood me slightly, I wasn't having a bash at the US as a whole or only the US, only using them as an example, just you guys seem to enjoy suing each other more than any other nation and have a bit of a rep in certain areas and issues regarding the military, so used you as an example.
No, there are many many gun waving a$$holes out there apparently, fortunately not all are equal with equal opinions and dumba$$ attitudes.

Slightly? Whatever.
Cliffs come to mind... Again.
Go blow out your own flames elsewhere.
Good gravy.
Did I mention meatloaf tonite (with gravy)?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As for you..........well you are an exception, you seem to slip quite comfortably into the dumba$$ skip with the rest of the $hit. Carry on.

DRNED:

My apologies for slipping here, as I have had you on ignore. You seem to be a real miserable individual with a major chip on their shoulder. People have even reached out to you here, yet all you do is spew negative vibes in every direction.

Can you please tell the membership WHY ARE YOU HERE if you hate everybody on this site?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
So as far as you are concerned, these paid workers can do what they like 'unconditionally'.
Well if you have sunk that far into your American dream then there is little hope.

The point remains - there are Marines behaving as though they are at war in Haiti. They are being rude and aggressive to the very folks they are allegedly helping - and they should not do this.

By the way - have you ever been to Haiti?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And please respond to the bad apple thing.
There are a few bad apples who rob banks, rape and murder - but we should accept that because after all, there are only a few bad apples.
That is what you imply - I disagree.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So as far as you are concerned, these paid workers can do what they like 'unconditionally'.
Well if you have sunk that far into your American dream then there is little hope.

The point remains - there are Marines behaving as though they are at war in Haiti. They are being rude and aggressive to the very folks they are allegedly helping - and they should not do this.

By the way - have you ever been to Haiti?

Well the problem is that the Marines are trained for WAR.. they are Warriors.

They are not humanitarian aid workers... even though the US Military tries to portray itself as the "greatest humanitarian aid organization in the world" (no fooling, I have niece working at Walter Reed who takes advanced classes and that is REALLY how they bill themselves.... Orwell is pleased!)

They are not trained to be polite. They are not trained to be courteous. They are trained to kill.

And when a Marine who is armed and on duty tells you to do something... well.. just DO IT or suffer the consequences.-

So I think it a bit unfair to criticize them for not being able to do something that they are not trained to do.

The US does not contribute peacekeepers to the UN armies since the military has said that once you train a soldier to be a peacekeeper, you cannot train him back into a soldier.

Two different animals.

The US Coast Guard, on the other hand, are trained to be much more humanitarian ... because aside from the drug runners, the main people that they encounter are refugees.

National Guard, as well. were typically just "peacekeepers" until this last war when they were sent off to Iraq --- something that they NEVER signed up for.

I think that there are Army groups on the ground as well.. but the Marines were the first ones in.

United States Marine Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
That is all well and good.
But why would a Marine point blank refuse to use a radio at the Petionville Country Club to try and organise help for a little child that was run over by a water truck?
Just use the radio??
If you ever meet the Royal Marines you would find them courteous at all times. They are trained to represent their country with dignity. Even when they are blowing you bits.

Again, there is no excuse for what happened.

And for any marines out there NEVER point a gun at me unless you intend to use it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You will find that no matter where the UN are they use armoured vehicles, they are standard in a distaster and peace keeping situations, or were you not aware of that? I am I have worked in Sudan with the UN for 4 years (it might get a little expensive if they have to custom each vehicle to each specific situation) I expect not as you have little to say of importance or relevance in this post. Your main objective seems to be to try to put others down to cheer yourself up, sad sad sad.
My input is from those working on the ground in close contact, so how is it of little importance, seems relevant to the discussion, no?

Please don't reply, just keep that bar propped up and posting the usual drunken drivel.

I have been on several peacekeeping missons with the Canadian Military and have numerous friends that can say the same. I have friends right now in Jacmel, and I can tell you I've spent lots of time in jeeps and Duce and halfs but never an armoured vehicle. I'm not sure what your nationality is but I'm sure it isn't anything human.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
That is all well and good.
But why would a Marine point blank refuse to use a radio at the Petionville Country Club to try and organise help for a little child that was run over by a water truck?
Just use the radio??
If you ever meet the Royal Marines you would find them courteous at all times. They are trained to represent their country with dignity. Even when they are blowing you bits.

Again, there is no excuse for what happened.

And for any marines out there NEVER point a gun at me unless you intend to use it!

Because it was not his job? Because he was following orders? Because it was a military radio not designated for that use? I do not know. Was not there. But stretch a bit and I am sure that you can see lots of reasons for it.

We all know that the Brits have better manners than us Yanks.

I am sure that many regret the Fall of the Empire and mourn the day that savage Yanks had to take over the Fight for Empire. I know I certainly do.Wish it were still a burden on your tax dollars --- not ours...

But alas... that is just the best that is available...

Also perhaps your armed forces have not been stretched quite so thin for quite so long as ours have....., There are over 13,000 of them now serving under Stop Loss orders...
Stop-loss policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And perhaps... although I do not know this ... your Royal Marines are not recruited from the poorest sections of the economy, as the US military is.

Anyway.. they are.. sadly... most of them... just kids.

Would that there were no need for them!

OJALA!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I pity the society into which they reintegrate after they have finished being warriors.

That kind of behaviour might work in the middle east - I do not know - I have not been there for years, but it will not wash in Haiti where people are normal human beings.

They are out of order and they need telling.