A Missionary in Paradise

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Cobraboy's last post... It makes a lot of sense...

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the feed back. One of the weakness of the mission program of my particular church is that we go to a different country every time. We don't follow through. We went to Ecuador a few years ago, and one lady, after we came back, and all on her own, established a hot lunch program for the school at the city dump. Her program feeds over 300 kids several times a week. But we've never been back to see it in person.

We are kind of stuck in the "tourist missionary" mind set where we hit and run. We met some kids, not church related interestingly enough, who were living in the Bateys and had been in the country for months.

I agree that you can't really see the big picture in a few days. But at the same time, there are some basic human connections that can be made. A smile, a hand shake, a kind word. On a human to human level, I hope the people we met saw that we cared about them.

Flame on! You guys seem to have nothing better to do!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the feed back. One of the weakness of the mission program of my particular church is that we go to a different country every time. We don't follow through. We went to Ecuador a few years ago, and one lady, after we came back, and all on her own, established a hot lunch program for the school at the city dump. Her program feeds over 300 kids several times a week. But we've never been back to see it in person.

We are kind of stuck in the "tourist missionary" mind set where we hit and run. We met some kids, not church related interestingly enough, who were living in the Bateys and had been in the country for months.

I agree that you can't really see the big picture in a few days. But at the same time, there are some basic human connections that can be made. A smile, a hand shake, a kind word. On a human to human level, I hope the people we met saw that we cared about them.

Perhaps with some research your group can find a village, or small barrio that you can adopt, returning year after year. Many Christian (tourists) come to Jarabacoa, with a family or two staying for 2-3 years and those that can't stay long term rotating through for several weeks at a time. They chose Jarabacoa because: there are people that need help, the area is safe, easier climate to adjust to, not isolated...etc.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
thanks for sticking with us!

First -I really want to thank you for sticking with us here on this board, for posting in the first place and for letting us rant, and then getting back to us with how things went.

I am sure that you know that none of this has anything to do with you personally... And I really respect that you have taken some hard hits from a lot of people, me included. I think,actually, that I threw that first stone.

We live here, you see, and this is an issue that we all have to deal with. Not the batayes, probably, but how do help? What can we do to help? Some people have found some sort of an answer that makes it ok for them to live here. Up next to the grinding poverty, to the shoeless and the homeless and the hungry.

I appreciate that you can observe that you are "tourist missionaries". I like it that you observed that after a few days together you were even sick of each other. I am sure that on reflection you will appreciate the implications of the "no thank you" because, well, you weren't doing it for that, or were you?

I wonder if you might reflect on the fact that you have perhaps contributed to the idea that we pale faced people from the North are the source of things material and that the locals have a right to expect us to just give them things without working for them?

I know that you are going to have to go back to your home congregation which sponsors these trips, I assume, and really really justify the money that they spent, in these hard times in America.

I think that the poster who observed about the money spent made a good point. Was the money spent worth it? Was it worth it to the people you reached, or perhaps, was it worth it to you?

I would ask you to question your congregation on what exactly they are doing since they do not have ongoing mission work?

Is this just a way for them to see the world, under the "cloak" of serving, because, it would seem that in terms of bang for the bucks, there is really more "fun" and "education" than "service" going and there may be a bit of "upsetting the established social order" as well.

I know that most Americans never get an opportunity to see the sort of poverty that you saw. And I know that seeing that, you will be forever changed. But I wonder what the change will be?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are a good sport and I appreciate it.

We are not "flaming" at you, understand that. This island is awash with "tourist missionaires".... as well as many of us who perhaps also each hope to do some good in his or her own way.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
First -I really want to thank you for sticking with us here on this board, for posting in the first place and for letting us rant, and then getting back to us with how things went.

I am sure that you know that none of this has anything to do with you personally... And I really respect that you have taken some hard hits from a lot of people, me included. I think,actually, that I threw that first stone.

We live here, you see, and this is an issue that we all have to deal with. Not the batayes, probably, but how do help? What can we do to help? Some people have found some sort of an answer that makes it ok for them to live here. Up next to the grinding poverty, to the shoeless and the homeless and the hungry.

I appreciate that you can observe that you are "tourist missionaries". I like it that you observed that after a few days together you were even sick of each other. I am sure that on reflection you will appreciate the implications of the "no thank you" because, well, you weren't doing it for that, or were you?

I wonder if you might reflect on the fact that you have perhaps contributed to the idea that we pale faced people from the North are the source of things material and that the locals have a right to expect us to just give them things without working for them?

I know that you are going to have to go back to your home congregation which sponsors these trips, I assume, and really really justify the money that they spent, in these hard times in America.

I think that the poster who observed about the money spent made a good point. Was the money spent worth it? Was it worth it to the people you reached, or perhaps, was it worth it to you?

I would ask you to question your congregation on what exactly they are doing since they do not have ongoing mission work?

Is this just a way for them to see the world, under the "cloak" of serving, because, it would seem that in terms of bang for the bucks, there is really more "fun" and "education" than "service" going and there may be a bit of "upsetting the established social order" as well.

I know that most Americans never get an opportunity to see the sort of poverty that you saw. And I know that seeing that, you will be forever changed. But I wonder what the change will be?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are a good sport and I appreciate it.

We are not "flaming" at you, understand that. This island is awash with "tourist missionaires".... as well as many of us who perhaps also each hope to do some good in his or her own way.

Good post Annie!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Don't take the "riots" over the hand-outs and the lack of "thank-yous" personally. I have witnessed several riots during the distribution of things, ranging from shoes from the government to food packages from non-profits during flooding. I have also interpreted for medical missions where everybody and their mama has a headache and a yeast infection.

I have spent several years here working on projects to "help" people and haven't gotten too many thanks. Those things are manifestations of the culture of poverty in everyday life. If you understand the implications of their socio-economic situation, their level of education and their profound lack of opportunities, it's a lot less surprising. So you didn't just see poverty, you witnessed it in action.

FYI: I have been to the places you went to and know people who live there. Isn't Batey 6 the one with the World Vision health clinic? The flooding did not "knock down houses" because the place filled up with water, there weren't currents washing homes away. Also, there is really only one environmentally appropriate and long-lasting type of latrine that should be built in those areas, and that's a composting latrine. It has two above-ground compartments, and when one fills up, if the owners are educated on how to take care of it and have a stake in doing so, it can be closed off and something called cal can be added. Within a year it dries out and what's inside can be used as fertilizer cuz the bacteria is dead. They can last for a LONG time if properly taken care of. The water table in that area is very high, so digging holes for latrines results in seepage into the nearby canals, which many people bathe in.

I think it's good that you recognized the "band-aid" effect of the work done and the need for a more long-term approach. You should recommend those things to your church leaders and try to establish relationships with groups or organizations who are in the country long-term to improve the experience for all and maximize the impact.

Thanks for sharing your experience and having a dialogue, hope you had an over-all good trip and know that even in paradise you can find the good, the bad and the fugly.

Anyone can PM me if you want a design and local costs for building a composting latrine or if someone wants to do a medical mission in Barahona hosted by an organized community group (religious or non). Or if you are looking for a connection in Barahona to do a service-type project. This is not for me or my gente to benefit, just to point people in the right direction if that's where they want to go.

Reactions: mountainannie

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've been reading various postings lately about missionary work and peoples views which seem to vary widely and a story I heard years ago came back to my mind.

There is a remote bay, and I forget where it is, but at a certain time of year there thousands of starfish are thrown ashore by the high tide every day for about a month and as they are unable to return to the sea most of them die. A journalist is observing this and writing an article for his magazine when he sees a young man walking along the beach throwing some of the starfish back into the water. The journalist stops the young man in what he sees as a futile effort and tells him "there are thousands, you can't possibly make a difference" with that the young man picked up a starfish, through it into the sea and said "I made a difference to that one".
I don't know if it's a true story but, just like your story, I found it quite inspiring!

Reactions: MikeFisher

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for sharing your experience and having a dialogue, hope you had an over-all good trip and know that even in paradise you can find the good, the bad and the fugly.

Anyone can PM me if you want a design and local costs for building a composting latrine or if someone wants to do a medical mission in Barahona hosted by an organized community group (religious or non). Or if you are looking for a connection in Barahona to do a service-type project. This is not for me or my gente to benefit, just to point people in the right direction if that's where they want to go.

I agree with Minerva and am pleased you are trying to 'specifically' point people who want to help in the right direction.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I once hugged someone, and didn't feel the love from them.
A good friend pointed out that I might have had "strings" attached to the love I expected back from the hug.
If it is truly a gift, there should be no expection of anything in return.
That's the lesson I learned.
No stake in the outcome.
Hugs, :)
mkohn

mccabe8006

Jul 14, 2009
Hi everyone!
After reading the posts written here I found Something Missing.
That GOD is the one that directs the Missonaries to go and do the work in the D.R.
Not there Churches, Pastors, Congregations, ect...
What they do, who they do it for, is from the Direction of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that alone is why we do it!
Not for a Thank You, or a pat on the back.
Doing what we feel led to do by our lord and savior is payment enough!
My wife and I go to the D.R. to vacation but we always include a 1 day mission trip we have adoped a Church in San Pedro De'Marcoris that we give school and church supplys to.
We have watched the pastors give out a few of the school supplys donated to the children while we were visiting their church and the look on those childrens faces were payment enough for what we did!
No Pushing or shoving or wanting to get more, Just Happiness for what they were given. These Children were some of the Happiest, Singingist Children that we have ever seen. What a JOY!
We are going back again this year and taking School & Church supplys, because we feel that is what we are led do and because GOD has supplied the Items through other Evangelists and churches.
If more people just took 1 or 2 days out of there Vacation to help were it is needed, it would make a difference in the lives of some very deserving people! We are All GOD'S Children!
GOD Bless all of you that have followed your hearts and the Commission that Jesus has given us!

Reactions: Squat

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
NO,
it is not the Lord who directs people to do that,
it is NOT the Lord who supplies the Items throu evangelists and churches.
i do not accept such blue eyed easy good feeling explanation.
it IS the good heart in a good person who does good.
and that's also good in the eyes of God.
but it is not HIM who does it.
it is the inner of everybody who DOES.
just to wait that the "Boss" will bring everything on the right way would be a typical "religious" excuse for everything bad til the Lord brings it on the right way.
i believe in the good in good people,
i disagree completely with that post.
Mike

yess

Jun 1, 2008
i believe in the good in good people,

that is a beautiful thing Mike, thank you for saying it and starting my day off with grace

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Im wondering who directs us when we do bad things ...is there a get out clause

anger, jelleousy, wanna be better/richer/prettier aso,
all those things which are not in us given by birth,
but impelemented in us by LIFE,
by the appearing circustances on our way throu life, mixed with the way we get raised.
and such is available on all social levels within all different cultures/religions.

yes,
there is a get out clause:
find good friends as your new surrounding,
fight yourself to not do bad,
try as good as you can to live with your 'hood in peace, helping each others, and by time goes by you will fit better and better in the 'not bad/non violent' way of life and keep a distance to the bad side of the same life.
it is a lifelong game to play,
try to be the better player, win the game, win a good life.
(not ment to JR, but in general).

i am a lil evil myself,
at least for the ones who hurt my good neighbours.
i love to play.
Mike

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I have to say this, put ALL and ANY religious beliefs or disbeliefs to one side for a minute and read Mike's post. Not a bad set of goals for anyone to aspire to in life!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com