A Typical Accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
The last seven years of my career in policing were as a traffic collision reconstruction analyst and a Police Motorcycle Driver Instructor with the RCMP. The video shows the moped approaching at a good clip, at 50KPH (30mph) you are travelling at 13 meters a second ( a meter is 39 inches) your average person sober and alert has a reaction time of 1.5 seconds, do the math the kid never stood a chance. This excessive speed often negates two amazing attributes of a motorcycle, braking power and maneuverability. Having observed hundreds of mopeds and small motorcycles in the DR over the past five years I am amazed and the condition may of them are in, worn tires, faulty or missing brakes etc which all combine to create a loss of friction and traction in emergency braking procedures. The moped driver had all kinds of reaction time based on time and distance as shown in the video to engage in emergency braking, and hazard avoidance. Sadly his machine probably was not capable of the actions and he most likely did not have the basic skill set needed to perform the actions. When on a two wheeled conveyance you must use SIPDE, Scan Identify Predict Decide Execute. The poor lad looks like he locked his throttle, no brake action and no avoidance action. When you are on a motorcycle, you may have the right of way, but driving like you have the right of way will end in tears when you meet that car or truck who does not yield it to you. My heart goes out to all parties in this collision, I picked up way to many body parts and delivered far to many death notifications to wish injury or death on anyone.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I disagree. You are guessing at the motto speed and it is irrelevant too. It is 100% the jeepetas fault because he/she pulled out when they shouldn't have. Even if the traffic has to apply their brakes, the dumbass pulled in too early. The motto could have been putting along at 10 KPH and it would be no different as far as blame goes. Just less damage.
The person in the SUV is either semi blind, aged, having a heart attack, getting sexually serviced, off their meds, on too many meds, first time behind the wheel, having a seizure, or a combo of the aforementioned.
Caso cerrado!

Lol :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican Driver?

... it appears that both people in this scenario were Dominican.

In the article it said the SUV driver was a tourist.
Someone here said it was NOT a tourist.

But why does it 'appear' he/she was Dominican?

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I disagree. You are guessing at the motto speed and it is irrelevant too. It is 100% the jeepetas fault because he/she pulled out when they shouldn't have. Even if the traffic has to apply their brakes, the dumbass pulled in too early. The motto could have been putting along at 10 KPH and it would be no different as far as blame goes. Just less damage.
The person in the SUV is either semi blind, aged, having a heart attack, getting sexually serviced, off their meds, on too many meds, first time behind the wheel, having a seizure, or a combo of the aforementioned.
Caso cerrado!

Caso Cerrado!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The last seven years of my career in policing were as a traffic collision reconstruction analyst and a Police Motorcycle Driver Instructor with the RCMP. The video shows the moped approaching at a good clip, at 50KPH (30mph) you are travelling at 13 meters a second ( a meter is 39 inches) your average person sober and alert has a reaction time of 1.5 seconds, do the math the kid never stood a chance. This excessive speed often negates two amazing attributes of a motorcycle, braking power and maneuverability. Having observed hundreds of mopeds and small motorcycles in the DR over the past five years I am amazed and the condition may of them are in, worn tires, faulty or missing brakes etc which all combine to create a loss of friction and traction in emergency braking procedures. The moped driver had all kinds of reaction time based on time and distance as shown in the video to engage in emergency braking, and hazard avoidance. Sadly his machine probably was not capable of the actions and he most likely did not have the basic skill set needed to perform the actions. When on a two wheeled conveyance you must use SIPDE, Scan Identify Predict Decide Execute. The poor lad looks like he locked his throttle, no brake action and no avoidance action. When you are on a motorcycle, you may have the right of way, but driving like you have the right of way will end in tears when you meet that car or truck who does not yield it to you. My heart goes out to all parties in this collision, I picked up way to many body parts and delivered far to many death notifications to wish injury or death on anyone.

one ingredient in this debacle is the reality that rank and file Dominicans do not process two vital questions that are necessary for use of the road

1) what if? they cannot seem to understand that sudden eventualities can arise, and that while using the road , that is one of the most important considerations. i have seen guys ride at bird speed through a group of schoolkids trying to cross a street. they do not seem to have the powers of cogitation to consider what if one of the kids decides to run across the street. they ride past a group of dogs without thinking about the possibility that one of the pack might do something unpredictable.

2)what then? they do not factor into the equation what they will be able do if called to respond in an emergency fashion. if you are driving too fast for the conditions, what then?

the standard of road education in this land is subterranean, and there is no fix for it.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
one ingredient in this debacle is the reality that rank and file Dominicans do not process two vital questions that are necessary for use of the road

1) what if? they cannot seem to understand that sudden eventualities can arise, and that while using the road , that is one of the most important considerations. i have seen guys ride at bird speed through a group of schoolkids trying to cross a street. they do not seem to have the powers of cogitation to consider what if one of the kids decides to run across the street. they ride past a group of dogs without thinking about the possibility that one of the pack might do something unpredictable.

2)what then? they do not factor into the equation what they will be able do if called to respond in an emergency fashion. if you are driving too fast for the conditions, what then?

the standard of road education in this land is subterranean, and there is no fix for it.

So its very hard to have any sympathy for the any of individuals driving amongst us.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
actually, i do. i feel the same way as i feel when i see a dog hit by a car. it is not his fault. he does what he knows.
What if your in an accident with a moto and its clearly their fault.Do you stick around? Or do you feel the same way if its the dog? Or take off?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i only think about being in the hospital...and i realize no matter what....my fault...bikes lost bills are mounting ribs collar bone broken scabs all over...maybe a knee ,,, was i looking at that young girl in the two piece???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What if your in an accident with a moto and its clearly their fault.Do you stick around? Or do you feel the same way if its the dog? Or take off?

i had a guy on a scooter rear-end my car once. he wanted me to pay for his bike. my buddy showed up , came out his SUV brandishing a Bushmaster. that was the end of that.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Chinese moto manufacturers do not offer anti lock brakes. In a panic you will lock em up and just start skidding instead of stopping. How on earth do you tell he is going 30? Looks like 50 to me which is near the usual top speed of a moto. Plus most Doms drive at the motos top speed on the highway. No way he is only doing 30mph. At any rate it does not matter much as fault does not count in the DR.

Feb 7, 2007
[video=youtube_share;DJL_YorvfhI]http://youtu.be/DJL_YorvfhI[/video]

Old video but it shows how dangerous it is driving there.
Extremely sad but oh so realistic!
No education of anything whatsoever.

Anybody can explain to me what I have just seen? It looks to me like the truck got flat tire or the wheel disengaged or something. I had a lower control arm break on me, but it was just regular speed down on city street so no big deal... cannot imagine that at high speed.

Feb 7, 2007
Honestly, I wish that all motorcycle drivers here will crash into the tree or lamp post. And I don?t feel sad if they die, because they ALL drive like crazy. I have never seen ANY Dominican driving his motorcycle or moped normally. Even if they are good basketball players, I will not cry for them.

MANY DR1s ride motorcycles or mopeds here... so basically you wish us all to crash into the tree or lamp post ... thank you for THAT!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rubio,

You are probably looking at a typical Dominican driver, without driver training and undoubtedly with no license, after having a liquid lunch, in control of a vehicle with a box loaded with junk and people, on tires that are more bald than Kojak, encounter an unexpected situation that he has no idea how to correctly respond to. The driver may have been distracted talking on his cell, or turning up the music or attempting to pick up the open beer he just dropped between the brake and gas pedals.

You are looking at everything that is scary about driving on the same roads as the majority of people here. You are looking at a cautionary tale that clearly demonstrates that any other vehicle within 100 feet of you is a potential risk and at any moment they and it could be sitting on your lap without first asking permission.

Feb 7, 2007
From what I see in that video, the SUV should not have turned before the moto passed. Simply from that limited view the SUV driver appears to have been at fault. If the SUV had a clear view of the moto, it does not matter that the moto was speeding and on the wrong side of the road.

I was in numerous situations, especially in the DR, where I as a car driver did not have a good view to enter the roadway (like a huge truck parked on the side in front of colmado obstructing the view). You just don't barge into the traffic like that. When I do not have the view, I enter inch by inch, literally.

However, we cannot see if there was a double parked vehicle further up the road to the left, or even another slower moving moto that this moto in the accident may have zipped around and then appeared "out of nowhere" to the SUV driver because of a limited sight distance. That kind of lunatic driving happens all of the time here.

I had one "out of nowhere" situations happen to me. I was driving down the city street on a scooter, and was passing a small bus (25 pax) parked on the right side against the traffic. It was in front of a colmado. Just as I was approaching the back of the bus, a pickup truck appeared in front of me. He was parked behind the bus in front of colmado, and he just suddenly entered the roadway (my lane) without looking if anybody was coming. This was a head-on collision. To this day I still cannot believe that all it caused was couple of scratches on me and two or three broken plastics on the scooter and slightly misaligned scooter's steering wheel which was later taken care of at a repair shop. But then, my speed is always safe "for the fall", but yet head-on collision, that's a different story. Big luck, that in this case, the pickup just started accelerating, and I was not driving fast and actually had time to somehow slow down on a notice of impeding head-on collision.

And no, he did not pay for damages, even though he was declared at fault by AMET... I did not pursue it for 6,000 pesos repair & painting bill.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Anybody can explain to me what I have just seen? It looks to me like the truck got flat tire or the wheel disengaged or something. I had a lower control arm break on me, but it was just regular speed down on city street so no big deal... cannot imagine that at high speed.

what you have just seen is an ape driving an old piece of sh*t pickup loaded with live bodies, down an incline, at speeds that he should not have been doing. if this primate had half a brain, he would have known that it is harder to control a vehicle going downhill than under any other condition. what you have seen is the absence of basic intelligence and common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.