Adoption problems

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have problems with getting adoption finalized by my abogado in Puerto Plata. All papers have been completed and social services have visited my home. my lawyer says that everything is good. However it has been almost a year in progress and he told my wife the other day that it will not be finished until mayo. In our initial agreement I was told it would take only 90 days. I cannot understand why this is taking so long. I am a U.S. citizen receiving social security retirement benefits and my adopted children will be eligible to get "child's benefits" when the adoption is completed. Every day that this is delayed costs my children a lot of money that they need badly. Do you have any suggestions to motivate my lawyer to complete this process? What could possibly take this long????? Thank you for your help,gregorio.boyd@gmail.com

This question was asked back in Feb. of this year so just curious if you've heard anything yet? I read the link that Mr Guzman posted and there is an age rule that might be causing the hold up.

PARENT ELIGIBILITYFor international adoptions, only heterosexual couples married for a minimum of five years are eligible to adopt a Dominican child. Each parent must be at least thirty years old and no more than sixty, and at least fifteen years older than the child they wish to adopt. Singles are not allowed to adopt.

Hope you can give us an update