American Airlines vs. US Airways

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mark Porter

Do you in fact work for Pan Am, and if you do in what capacity.

I have asked you before without getting an answer but I would like to know how much stock to put in your answers to questions and if possibly you can give additional information regarding the company here. I believe this is the biggest website and message board on the internet regarding the Dominican Republic so I think it would be in Pan Ams interest for you to respond or to have someone log on that can.

Thanks,
Escott

Apr 26, 2002
Libelous

Jazzcom,

An element of "libelous" is that the message be untrue. I wrote nothing untrue and, in fact, have corrected a number of other untrue statements in this forum. Making fun of the rich kid that owns Pan Am may be cruel, but, again, it is not libelous.

Satire (such as "Pan Am Begins Santo Domingo-Moon Service") is also not libelous provided the message be recognizable by a sane person as patently absurd. I hope you too understood the Moon story to be absurd.

My posts were in reaction to posts that I thought were overly exhuberant by Mark Porter and others. But I did not realize that Mark Porter worked for Pan Am. Obviously, that raises the stakes for him, and I can't spite him for it. I would not want to confront a poster in this group with something so personally important.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Porfirio

My dad worked during the week for Alcoa as a mining and civil engineer at Cabo Rojo. My mother, sisters and I lived in the capitol. Every other weekend we would fly out to CR and the other weekends my dad would fly in to Sto. Domingo. Never flew Quisqueya, CDA had the charter for the company. We moved out to CR during the 65 revolution and lived there until 1967 when we moved to Jamaica.

At the time there was the Alcoa airstrip which was also used by the Dominican Air Force. A lot of the Dominican copilots for CDA were also AF pilots. most pilots were Americans.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Libelous

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Jazzcom,

An element of "libelous" is that the message be untrue. I wrote nothing untrue and, in fact, have corrected a number of other untrue statements in this forum. Making fun of the rich kid that owns Pan Am may be cruel, but, again, it is not libelous.

Satire (such as "Pan Am Begins Santo Domingo-Moon Service") is also not libelous provided the message be recognizable by a sane person as patently absurd. I hope you too understood the Moon story to be absurd.

My posts were in reaction to posts that I thought were overly exhuberant by Mark Porter and others. But I did not realize that Mark Porter worked for Pan Am. Obviously, that raises the stakes for him, and I can't spite him for it. I would not want to confront a poster in this group with something so personally important.

I never claimed to be sane nor insane and I resemble that remark.

Well first of all saying that they are going to go out of business in a short time knowing that it is owned by the rich kid is "libelous" under any definition of the word. It is bad for their business and has no truth to it whatsoever that you can back up with fact.

I don't remember any over exhuberant posts by Mark or others. Some people like myself applauded more carriers to the DR for competitive purposes which shouldnt be conscrewed as "exhuberant".

You also slammed them in one post after another after another. That whether your intent is satire or to do the company and their reputation harm is just unfair and wrong in my opinion.

As I have stated before, I have no interest whatsoever in the company just in the possibility of less expensive fares to DR from the US. I came back from London on Sept. 10th on AA and went to the DR on the 20th of Sept. and paid more for the 3 hour and 20 minute flight than I did to London. My only care is pricing because I find it offensive to the mind and the pocketbook and don't quite understand the sense in it.

Just to see an open mind on your part is a good turn of events for you. Go with it.

Apr 26, 2002
Re: Re: Libelous

jazzcom said:

"...saying that they are going to go out of business in a short time knowing that it is owned by the rich kid is "libelous" under any definition of the word. It is bad for their business and has no truth to it whatsoever that you can back up with fact.

...I don't remember any over exhuberant posts by Mark or others."

Jazzy,

Please read my posts for the facts. They speak for themselves, are based on the past practices of this same airline (Pan Am III), clearly represent my opinion, do not claim to state factual information regarding any date when Pan Am might stop serving the DR, and are not libelous under any definition. Cruel yes, libelous no.

Mark Porter's posts also speak for themselves. If he seemed like the mouthpiece for Pan Am, it was only because he actually is the mouthpiece for Pan Am.

As mentioned above, my posts were more cruel than anticipated because of Mark Porter's personal interest in Pan Am. Anyone who posts here deserves some deference.

Maybe Pan Am should advertise here?

Mark, do you have any pull with the marketing department?

Also, tell them to increase frequency, and I'll fly them. I promise.

Last edited: