AntiHatianismo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sure. But that's not in the psyche of the average Dominican.
What kind of "average" Dominican do you hang around?

The same ones where "almost every female I know" has been sexually abused?

When I chat history with Dominicans, massacres and genocide ALWAYS come up, pg. Always.

I guess the ones I hang around with living here aren't "average", huh?

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
You miss the point. It's the one-sided nature of modern attacks which is the issue.

I didn't miss any point. First paragraph, I stated what leaders do...it's called politics. The second paragraph I acknowledged the animosity experienced by Dominicans and I asked the OP if this was shared also by Haitians.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
If you want to remove all doubt about it being "Racial", all you have to do is see any "Political Cartoon" depicting Haitians in Dominican newspapers.
Black as coal, huge lips, "Bad Hair", stupid, dressed in rags,they use it ALL!
The "They Invaded Us", bull$hit is just a pretext.
Americans LOVE the English, and look how THAT all started!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Everything in that cartoon except for the bolded part is what everyday Hatians in the streets look like, at least the ones I see. Maybe the Haitians in your neck of the woods are light skin, with thin features and wear suits. Am I a racist for describing how the average Haitian looks like?

Ohh please if it was racial like you state, then the black cocolos who arrived here in the late 1800's would been sent back to their islands, and Dominicans would've treated them like ****, and there would be tons of negative stereotype about them. On the contrary these people were quickly assimilated into Dominican culture, and I've only heard positive things about them. I know the race has contributed to the whole antiHatianismo, but unlike what many of you want to present, race is far from being the main caused, and the problems between the two groups is much deeper than that.

And please don't even compare the history between America & Britain to that of DR & Haiti. That's like comparing aples and oranges, actually I doubt any two nations in the new world have had the violent history DR & Haiti have.

Some of you are just full of crap, and know little to no Dominican history. I guess you are right when you said in another coment that we need "el jefe" back, because I assure you that if he were to be alive you and others would not be spitting so much BS about Dominicans.

Dec 26, 2011
Unlike you I live in the DR, my fren.

Dominicans don't walk around talking about being invaded by Haiti in the distant past any more than Americans cry about being invaded by Mexico in 1842. Yet, in both places, there is strong animosity towards the more recent "invasions" of undocumented workers. It's a way to dehumanize the exploited.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Everything in that cartoon except for the bolded part is what everyday Hatians in the streets look like, at least the ones I see. Maybe the Haitians in your neck of the woods are light skin, with thin features and wear suits. Am I a racist for describing how the average Haitian looks like?

Ohh please if it was racial like you state, then the black cocolos who arrived here in the late 1800's would been sent back to their islands, and Dominicans would've treated them like ****, and there would be tons of negative stereotype about them. On the contrary these people were quickly assimilated into Dominican culture, and I've only heard positive things about them. I know the race has contributed to the whole antiHatianismo, but unlike what many of you want to present, race is far from being the main caused, and the problems between the two groups is much deeper than that.

And please don't even compare the history between America & Britain to that of DR & Haiti. That's like comparing aples and oranges, actually I doubt any two nations in the new world have had the violent history DR & Haiti have.

Some of you are just full of crap, and know little to no Dominican history. I guess you are right when you said in another coment that we need "el jefe" back, because I assure you that if he were to be alive you and others would not be spitting so much BS about Dominicans.
Anyone ever notice how many black Americans, including MANY on DR1, enjoy the DR because they feel very comfortable here?

If Dominicans were such racists, why would American blacks feel so comfortable?

Makes no sense.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans don't walk around talking about being invaded by Haiti in the distant past any more than Americans cry about being invaded by Mexico in 1842. Yet, in both places, there is strong animosity towards the more recent "invasions" of undocumented workers. It's a way to dehumanize the exploited.

Second, your opinions about various topics shows only shows your lack of understanding of the language or culture or both. While no doubt you know Dominicans who do not know their own history that reflects more on you than them that you know very little persons here nor much less read the paper.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
pg said:
Dominicans don't walk around talking about being invaded by Haiti in the distant past any more than Americans cry about being invaded by Mexico in 1842.
While it's not a daily discussion, I assure you that Dominicns DO bring up their history and DO discuss the "invasion."

pg said:
It's a way to dehumanize the exploited.
Oh, puh leeeeeze.

This is a poor country.

Dominicans don't want haitians sucking up their limited resources. For just one example, medical care for poor Dominicans is limited because a HUGE % is sucked up by illegal Haitians.

You do NOT "live" here. You are a tourist in the DR. You "live" in the states and your time in the DR is very limited.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Who is a "true" leader?
vince_lombardi.jpg

de3f97d4cda33cab74fba4bd68f9e8e8937604258.jpg

Martin-Luther-King-Jr-9365086-2-402.jpg

singletary.jpg

nba-g-russell-400.jpg

Ronald-Reagan-9453198-1-402.jpg

01_Steve-Jobs_full.jpg

peyton-manning-13th-annual-espy-awards-01.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unlike some posters, like K-mel, that would propose the Haitians were welcomed with open arms in all parts of the country the facts according to Dominican historians of the time show their was discontent from the very beginning. In fact, the entrance into La Espa?ola by the Haitians in 1822 is referred to "occupation" and "invasion" by Dominican historians.

The 18th century historian Jos? Gabriel Garc?a writes regarding the La Conspiraci?n de Los Alcarrizos to revolt against the Haitians in 1824:

"En febrero de 1824 estuvo a punto de estallar otro movimiento formidable que, fraguado por hombres adictos a Espa?a, ten?a por objeto vitorear al Rey don Fernando VII, y sustituir el pabell?n azul y rojo con el estandarte de Castilla, .."

"El n?mero de comprometidos lleg? a ser tan grande, que de haberse declarado la revoluci?n, habr?a sido dif?cil sofocarla."

Another factor that influenced Boyers occupation/invasion was the very real fact that the Haitians had a very large professional army that were capable of defeating European armies while the Dominicans had none and therefore had little choice in the matter.

Furthermore, the Haitians closed the University of Santo Domingo and robbed the Catholic Church of all it's properties in an attempt to suppress Dominican culture. Worse still is that the very racist Haitian government implemented the same laws they had in their country that forbade while people from having property:

“Ning?n blanco, cual quiera que sea su nacio na lidad podr? poner pie en este terri torio a t?tulo de amo o propie tario”.

With policies like these and worse from the very beginning, including massacres and robbing people of their property and harvests, it is no wonder Dominicans started their independence movement from the beginning.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Samuel Hazard's testimony is one thing, however he is not the only one who gave his testimony about the DR population of that time.

It would be more fair to present different views of the Dominican population of that time from different witnesses. Torres Saillant ( I know that you guys don't like him) has this approach in his article " Tribulation of Blackness" and it is more in line with what a intellectual debate should be.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jag/POL596A/torres-sailblackdom.pdf

Now from the dawn of the colonization of la Hispaniola in 1492 to her independence from Spain in 1865, the bulk of the population has never been a Spanish looking country, saying different is definitely a myth.

Dr Juan Bosch in "De Cristobal Colon Castro a Fidel Castro " Vol 2, refutes also this allegation ( I am abroad so I can't quote him, I'll do it when back home) when he describes the DR population before 1822.

The testimonies of all the Spanish (and others) historians of the colonial time ( some of them being conquistadores) are just not in line with this version of history :

- Herrera
- Oviedo
- Lopez de Gamara
- Charlevoix
- Benzoni

etc, etc

A Spanish officer who fought the restauration war in la Hispaniola, also strongly refutes this allegation of a European looking country in those years:

- General Jos? de La Gandara " Anexion y guerra de Santo Domingo" Vol 1, see pages (pdf numerotation) 59/60 ( where he gives his view about Haitians and Dominicans populations) , 73, and 237/238

Anexion y guerra de Santo Domingo (Open Library)

- Teniente General Ramon Gonzalez Tablas "Historia de la dominacion y ultima guera de Espa?a en Santo Domingo ", see p25 " Los Dominicanos"

Historia de la dominacion y ultima guera de Espan

Moreau de Saint Mery described also the spanish side of la Hispaniola (2 volumes), which doesn't fit with Hazard's allegation :

A topographical and political description of the Spanish part of Saint-Domingo (Open Library)

A topographical and political description of the Spanish part of Saint-Domingo (Open Library)

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Unlike some posters, like K-mel, that would propose the Haitians were welcomed with open arms in all parts of the country the facts according to Dominican historians of the time show their was discontent from the very beginning. In fact, the entrance into La Espa?ola by the Haitians in 1822 is referred to "occupation" and "invasion" by Dominican historians.

The 18th century historian Jos? Gabriel Garc?a writes regarding the La Conspiraci?n de Los Alcarrizos to revolt against the Haitians in 1824:

"En febrero de 1824 estuvo a punto de estallar otro movimiento formidable que, fraguado por hombres adictos a Espa?a, ten?a por objeto vitorear al Rey don Fernando VII, y sustituir el pabell?n azul y rojo con el estandarte de Castilla, .."

"El n?mero de comprometidos lleg? a ser tan grande, que de haberse declarado la revoluci?n, habr?a sido dif?cil sofocarla."

Another factor that influenced Boyers occupation/invasion was the very real fact that the Haitians had a very large professional army that were capable of defeating European armies while the Dominicans had none and therefore had little choice in the matter.

Furthermore, the Haitians closed the University of Santo Domingo and robbed the Catholic Church of all it's properties in an attempt to suppress Dominican culture. Worse still is that the very racist Haitian government implemented the same laws they had in their country that forbade while people from having property:

“Ning?n blanco, cual quiera que sea su nacio na lidad podr? poner pie en este terri torio a t?tulo de amo o propie tario”.

With policies like these and worse from the very beginning, including massacres and robbing people of their property and harvests, it is no wonder Dominicans started their independence movement from the beginning.

Excuse me Senior Chip but the archives and the documents said so => I gave the references in another thread, plse check by yourself

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.