Average salaries in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Some people just don't get it.

What do you mean by that comment? I'm just ignorant on this issue; in the US there are plenty of sites where you can find out the average salary for any job however there aren't really any for DR. That's why I'm asking.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
A guy with no education working for the local power company makes $US10k monthly got his job networking.....lol... as CFA said, its who you know and as Tambo said, "some people just don't get it"....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What do you mean by that comment? I'm just ignorant on this issue; in the US there are plenty of sites where you can find out the average salary for any job however there aren't really any for DR. That's why I'm asking.

You're comparing a first world country of over 300 million to one with around 10

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Well that's no surprise that's anywhere. Networking can get you places. There are some jobs that aren't even avertised even if they're looking. Many people rely on their good employees to provide references.

nepotism here is spelled with a capital NEPOTISMO (and underlined, bold, and italicized)

Shawn, you state clearly in many of your posts that you're just beginning to learn about the DR. Some of these things are difficult to 'explain' to a first world mentality & frustratingly to many of us our best attempts to convey reality are misinterpreted. You really have to see it / live it to understand.

Also, understand that like most of us, myself included... you'll think you know how something is, then a few months later you'll realize that wasn't quite right, then a few months later you'll realize that was wrong, then a few months later... If you're not born Dominican, the best any of us can do is just continue our ongoing education.

All of the posters (non-Dominican) with good info were themselves neophytes at one point. Few who last for long in the country think they know it all. They wouldn't last in the country if they did.

You're on the right track, but trust me it's a lifelong process.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
nepotism here is spelled with a capital NEPOTISMO (and underlined, bold, and italicized)

Shawn, you state clearly in many of your posts that you're just beginning to learn about the DR. Some of these things are difficult to 'explain' to a first world mentality & frustratingly to many of us our best attempts to convey reality are misinterpreted. You really have to see it / live it to understand. But, you're starting right.

Thanks CFA. I am intrigued by the country and I'll be back for my 3rd visit in less than a year for Labor Day weekend. Perhaps it is something that you just have to learn but unfortunately I do think as Anna said from a US perspective. I know that everywhere is different but I'm 27 and I moved out at 18 to go to college. Just finished grad school and have started my career. I primarily work from home which is why can travel a lot. Would like to spend several months in the DR and as such would like to develop a network of friends there....

I have been accused of being elitist before but I would like friends similar to my education level. Not hotel workers, colmado workers, etc. I like nice things and would like friends that can "keep up" it would probably be embrassing for me as well as the person to invite them to adrian tropical only to have them say they can't afford it. That's why I'm curious as to what people make and where to find like minded young professionals to form lasting friendships if I am to spend more time in Santo Domingo.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm guessing Bob will tell you that an accountant at 'one of the most prestigious banks' she makes 50k per month... and I would guess she has many years of service. That would be more of the exception, than the rule.

Of course, there are higher up accountants I'm sure making US$100k per year in the same institution, and those making US$10k a year as well. Fewer of the former, more of the latter.

Your avg run of the mill accounting job probably pays in the range of US$10k. Someone in the U.S. would make $30-50k doing the same job (though probably doing it better & more efficiently).

Said accountant worked for Banco Polular in NYC and is bi-lingual with about 12 years with the bank.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Here you go Shawn all posts are in your thread

Thanks Anna. I think I've told you before but this site is EXTREMELY helpful. I want to learn more about DR and this site does exactly that. There seem to be a vast majority of people that offer valuable opinions and advice.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Anna. I think I've told you before but this site is EXTREMELY helpful. I want to learn more about DR and this site does exactly that. There seem to be a vast majority of people that offer valuable opinions and advice.

De nada

keep in mind that many members on DR1 are living,working,or retired in the DR. Some are Dominicans and some are married to Dominicans. ;)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just my 2 cents...

Thanks CFA. I am intrigued by the country and I'll be back for my 3rd visit in less than a year for Labor Day weekend.

I am no expert, but I don't think 4-days trip will give you much insight into any country (even if it is several times a year).

You are lucky that you can work from home, so, you could just visit for 6 months, you will learn a lot more than 10 trips combined. Plus, you are Miami right ? DR is next door.

You are only 27, go for it !!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I have been accused of being elitist before but I would like friends similar to my education level. Not hotel workers, colmado workers, etc. I like nice things and would like friends that can "keep up" it would probably be embrassing for me as well as the person to invite them to adrian tropical only to have them say they can't afford it. That's why I'm curious as to what people make and where to find like minded young professionals to form lasting friendships if I am to spend more time in Santo Domingo.

Focus on those that drive their own car or have their own car and driver. ;)

Just ballparking, the average 27 year old recent Dominican grad student who's found a job would be making about US$20k a year in the capital. Those that know someone probably making double that. Those really on the fasttrack or in family business, double again.

Most of those with what you'd think of as normal disposable income have a close knit group of friends/family that fulfill their social hours. The question is what do you bring to the table for them to allow you into the inner circle? Normally it takes a business relationship or beaucoup $$$'s for one to enter those circles.

You'll find it easy to make friends with those with little disposable income... and difficult to make inroads with others.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm guessing Bob will tell you that an accountant at 'one of the most prestigious banks' she makes 50k per month... and I would guess she has many years of service.

Said accountant worked for Banco Polular in NYC and is bi-lingual with about 12 years with the bank.

Bingo. She brings a lot to the table for her US$16k a year. Probably made at least two or three times that in the U.S., even 12 years ago.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I am no expert, but I don't think 4-days trip will give you much insight into any country (even if it is several times a year).

You are lucky that you can work from home, so, you could just visit for 6 months, you will learn a lot more than 10 trips combined. Plus, you are Miami right ? DR is next door.

You are only 27, go for it !!!

I know 4 days won't do it, but it sure gives me a good idea. I am looking at trying it out for a month or two. I am in miami and it's barely a two hour flight. I think you're probably in the air for an hour lol! This probably should be in another topic but I loveeeeee dominican women and would be interested in possibly marrying one. Now that I'm out of grad school looking to start a family.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I know 4 days won't do it, but it sure gives me a good idea. I am looking at trying it out for a month or two. I am in miami and it's barely a two hour flight. I think you're probably in the air for an hour lol! This probably should be in another topic but I loveeeeee dominican women and would be interested in possibly marrying one. Now that I'm out of grad school looking to start a family.

Oh, no :bored:
You are 27 (and I am not much older than you), you have time, please take your time....
Get to know the country first.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I loveeeeee dominican women and would be interested in possibly marrying one. Now that I'm out of grad school looking to start a family.

Ok, piecing your posts together, you're looking for a Dominican woman making US$5-10,000 a month. They're a rare, but not unheard of breed. Spend a few months in DR, you might catch a glimpse of one or two from afar. That's as close as you're likely to get.

More realistic you're looking for a 'middle class' girl who might be making US$15-20k a year which would be comparable career wise (not in spending power) to someone making $40-60k in the U.S. You might have a chance with her.

Yes, probably a new thread needed... but just curious what the women you've associated with to date have done for a living?

Reactions: Africaida

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Most of those with what you'd think of as normal disposable income have a close knit group of friends/family that fulfill their social hours. The question is what do you bring to the table for them to allow you into the inner circle? Normally it takes a business relationship or beaucoup $$$'s for one to enter those circles.

You'll find it easy to make friends with those with little disposable income... and difficult to make inroads with others.[/QUOTE]

But that is the same everywhere! People mostly associate with those around their level. If I lived there I would ask around where the places are that young professionals hang out and frequent those places. The two times I've been there I've noticed mainly one thing- lower class dominicans will seek out tourists wheras middle to upper class dominicans won't. Is that a fair assesement?

I guess what Ibring to the table is that I'm full of ideas, sophisticated and eager to learn about other cultures. I hope that's enough.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Ok, piecing your posts together, you're looking for a Dominican woman making US$5-10,000 a month. They're a rare, but not unheard of breed. Spend a few months in DR, you might catch a glimpse of one or two from afar. That's as close as you're likely to get.

More realistic you're looking for a 'middle class' girl who might be making US$15-20k a year which would be comparable career wise (not in spending power) to someone making $40-60k in the U.S. You might have a chance with her.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. It's not my main focus but I'm certainly open to the idea. I think 27 is a good age to start wanting to settle down.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Yes, probably a new thread needed... but just curious what the women you've associated with to date have done for a living?[/QUOTE]

Well... To be honest lets just say the girls I've met on my 4 day trips have been more of a casual brief romance lol! I'm no angel... but I wouldn't want to marry those types of girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.