Bad accidents!!

web

Nov 5, 2005
The single greatest factor in contributing to accidents is the poor driving ability and poor technique of the Dominican drivers. Putting bad drivers in jail would have more drivers in jail than on the road.

Speed kills......There is no reason why they have to drive so fast

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sure a lot of Dominicans are poor drivers. We know and accept that. What gets me are the gringos who have adopted many of the same bad driving habits. Yeah, one must adjust your driving habits to the flow of traffic and the expectations of other drivers in this country but there is no excuse for running red lights, vehicle lights that don't work, passing on blind corners, passing too close to cyclists and motos, yacking away on the cell phone, the stupid things that we all know you shouldn't do
All 100% true!

But if you know that's what they do, at least you can be better prepared and plan for an "out." This is what motorcyclists do, and one reason that motorcyclists tend to be the safest drivers: the risk management skills necessary to survive on two wheels---generally threat analysis and planning---are easily transferred to a 4-wheeled vehicle.

Red lights: I wait at least a full second and then do a deep scan in all 4 directions at intersections, signaled, stop signed or not. You know a vehicle may blow through the intersection, so look for it.

Vehicle lights: never assume they work, period. If they work, bonus. Expect the unexpected.

Passing blind corners: always look for an "out." Keep on mind that what *you* see as a two-lane road, is ~actually~ a three lane road with the middle lane first come-first serve" in Dominican driving culture. And recognize that you may not have a good out, accept that risk, and get to a better situation quickly as possible.

Passing too close: yep, happens. You have 6" of "personal space" between you & other traffic in the Dominican driving culture. YOU can always offer more space. I certainly do.

Yacking on cell phones (texting is worse): yep, happens. So *assume* all are yakking, understand their attention may not be acute, and plan for the unexpected.

Defensive driving in the DR takes on a different definition than in the states or Canuckia.

And accept that some risks cannot be properly mitigated, like 3 drunken Organ Donor Wannabe's with a nearly empty liter bottle of ron on a crappy black passola, sans lights, at night, in the rain, going 30kph under the limit.

S#!t can happen on DR roads. Either understand the risks and employ strategies that mitigate it, or stay at home. Simple solutions.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ever see a mad rush in the supermarket when a new check-out line opens? Or the crush at a pharmacy, or any place where folks need to queue? Or some guy risking all to pass two cars on a long line stuck behind a heavy truck trundling up a hill?

It's the Dominican culture. It ain't going to change. See, to *them*, you're a dim-witted "extranjero pendejo" for going so slow and have no place on their roads. One knife: two edges.

If you can't deal with the culture perhaps other places would make one more sane. The DR way is not for everyone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

A Dominican will do everything possible to pass you even when he is 100 yards from where he has to stop or make a turn. He might even attempt to pass you on the right while you are making a right turn.

The "normal" Dominican driving lane has the left tire at least one foot over the center line of the road. This is to reduce the time needed to pass vehicles ahead of them.

We are not the tail that is going to wag that dog.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
As CB says the DR is not for everyone.

But I like driving here. I've just read the odo on my car and I've done 70,000kms since I bought my car two years ago. That's a lot of mileage (or kilometrage - but doesn't sound right)

I don't drive as slow as most of the locals. I have places to go and stuff to do, so I like to get a move on. But I think I'm a safe driver. In ten years of living here I have learned how to anticipate most drivers and what they are about to do.

One thing that I have noticed though is a new demographic emerging on Dominican roads and that's Dominican women drivers. They are growing in numbers and one can recognize their driving style. They are nowhere near as aggressive on the roads as most male drivers are. However their over cautious defensive style does put them in precarious positions sometimes. Usually with the combination of their speed, road position and whatsapp.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The insurence is a joke I wanted to get a lot more coverage and I can't.
I said I am a gringo and I want to be covered if something happens but I got no where.
I did find something that if I pay I can go to a private holding house instead of jail.
As for dui how can thy tell? All this is just more reason to not stop or run on foot.
First have veachual inspecthions get lights on the fing motrecycles so thy can be seen.
Then start with lot having the bars overserv people. That is only the very first start.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One thing that I have noticed though is a new demographic emerging on Dominican roads and that's Dominican women drivers. They are growing in numbers and one can recognize their driving style. They are nowhere near as aggressive on the roads as most male drivers are. However their over cautious defensive style does put them in precarious positions sometimes. Usually with the combination of their speed, road position and whatsapp.
The same is true for woman moto riders. Their style is very different and I can pick it out far away: they hold their lines well, but further from the edge of the road even when going slower (usually, the slower you are, the further right you are.) They are slower, and more deliberate---subtle body language---with speed and direction changes. They can be harder to pass because of their lane position and may put themselves in jeopardy with some of the less sane or safety-conscious Dominican drivers.

And I've yet to see a female moto rider act the fool on a bike. Oh, and their riding posture is impeccable, straight up, head forward, no MotoGP wannabe clones...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have stated loudly several times that I ain't seen no bad accidents in this country, but last night I didn't actually see it, but was awakened at right at midnight with a loud crash, my sleep sodden brain decided it was a tin roof falling, don't know why, so I tried to go back to sleep, but soon heard voices in the street and looked out the window and there was a car sitting in the street and a motorcycle on its side. Milady got dressed and went down to the street. The police came in about 20 minutes and took the motorcycle kid to the hospital. It is reported to us that the car that hit the bike kept on going, and the one I saw sitting there was someone who stopped to call the police. The news this AM from the neighbors is that it was a 22 year old daddy with a 3 year year old daughter. So Der Fish won't be saying no more that he hain't seen no bad accidents in this country. Today there is a puddle of dried blood in the mud beside the street where the bike was last night

Who cares!!!!!

"Dog BItes Man"!!!!!

Cccccccc