Blackhawk Down 2?

Respectfully, these are two absolutely different situations. I am not a proponent of legalizing drugs, but if I wanted to argue the point, I wouldn't use a completely abstract and disconnected set of circumstances to justify the criminalization of drugs. These are two separate and distinct issues.

Car jacking, or however one chooses to describe the event at POP, is something totally different and apart from the issues involved with the drug trade. It makes no sense to compare the two crimes, and only serves to personalize a debate that should remain objective.

How are these issues so far apart???? He wants to legalize drugs and make it easier to be an addict, so there will be more addicts on the streets robbing and stealing to fuel their now legal habit.

Mar 2, 2008
So all crime stems from illegal drugs?

If that is what you are saying then you just made a pretty good argument for legalizing them.

However, I don't think you actually believe that, nor do I, and there is absolutely no evidence that the perpetrators of the attempted crime at POP had any connection to drugs whatsoever.

Additionally, accusing Windeguy of being high on drugs is something I never would have expected from you. I hope you are not taking any of this debate personally.

I'm not taking it personal nor am I accusing Windguy of being on drugs, I was being a little sarcastic but I see people take things too seriously in written formats. If I were speaking in person with you guys you would have known I was being a little sarcastic. No insults were intended so I hope i offended noone.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
So all crime stems from illegal drugs?

If that is what you are saying then you just made a pretty good argument for legalizing them.

However, I don't think you actually believe that, nor do I, and there is absolutely no evidence that the perpetrators of the attempted crime at POP had any connection to drugs whatsoever.

Additionally, accusing Windeguy of being high on drugs is something I never would have expected from you. I hope you are not taking any of this debate personally.

I can't understand the fascination of all these proponents of legalizing drugs, I guess they are all banking on the effectiveness of an scenario that's never been proven to work.

I wonder; how all these weirdos would feel if their 21 yo son/daughter go to the corner store to buy enough crack so he won't have to go out again for an entire month?, you know, with the 3 for 1 special sale.

Mar 2, 2008
Vacara,

Did you actually read my posts regarding this issue?

You couldn't have, because if you did you would realize I was not advocating the legalization of drugs. Apparently you are still making assumptions, when you should be focused on what is really being said.

I was quite clear in what I wrote, and I am sure Badpiece understood my post.

Now here the part where you accuse me of making personal attacks, after you have characterized anyone you assume has a different opinion from yours as being a "weirdo". Cute trick.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Vacara,

Did you actually read my posts regarding this issue?

You couldn't have, because if you did you would realize I was not advocating the legalization of drugs. Apparently you are still making assumptions, when you should be focused on what is really being said.

I was quite clear in what I wrote, and I am sure Badpiece understood my post.

Now here the part where you accuse me of making personal attacks, after you have characterized anyone you assume has a different opinion from yours as being a "weirdo". Cute trick.

Sorry, then that go for the real "weirdos".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can't understand the fascination of all these proponents of legalizing drugs, I guess they are all banking on the effectiveness of an scenario that's never been proven to work.

I wonder; how all these weirdos would feel if their 21 yo son/daughter go to the corner store to buy enough crack so he won't have to go out again for an entire month?, you know, with the 3 for 1 special sale.
Amigo, addiction is not a problem. There are many high-functioning addicts all over: folks who drink every day, folks doing pot at home, the cocaine partier, the opium dreamweaver, etc. Drugs have been a part of most cultures forever. Man has always sought a means of a "high."

The problem is the crime surrounding the economics necessary to get the drugs. Because the risk of being in the drug business is so "high" (pardon the pun), the corresponding rewards must be high...and that is why there are enormous profits in cultivation, processing, transportation and distribution. It's a very common, easily understood business model.

Because of the enormous mark-up in drugs, they are expensive. Because they are expensive, they deplete an addicts piggy bank quickly. And here is the rub: when some folks are broke, they stop using until the next paycheck. But when others are broke, they resort to crime to obtain the funds to buy them. It's the latter group that causes the problems, and it's the dealers waging competitive turf wars to supply that latter group that causes a lot of the upstream crime and violence. The vast amount of crime against property is fueled by the high cost of drugs.

IMO, there are only two options to effectively deal with the problem on a large scale, since rehab is largely ineffective judged on the high rate of recitivism: 1) ZERO TOLERANCE of ANY drug connected activity. Execute even first time offenders. The Singapore model (my friend in there claims they televise drug ecxecutions.), or 2) legalize them. Nowhere has the middle ground worked.

In CBland, where I am Omnipotent Exalted Grand PooBah for Life, I give them away at cost. I'll deliver them to an addicts door. I encourage anyone with a drug problem to partake heartily. They want 1 rocks? I give them 3. But the caveat is that they are for home use ONLY. There is zero tolerance for use outside the home, driving with one molecule still in the system, giving/sharing them with minors, etc. Mandatory jail for first-time offenders, public execution for second time offenders. I want addicts dead, I do not want those with such weak characters polluting the rest of society. Crime would drop like a rock, and society would be the better for their demise.

Of course I exagerate. But the point is with all the talk and laws about illegal drugs, none of them work. I'm a results guy. I just don't think society is really serious about actually addressing the problem with solutions that work. All talk. No results.

CB's Law of Rhetorical Economics: The reason "talk is cheap" is because the supply exceeds the demand.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Included in the dvd of the film "City of God" there is a documentary called "News from a Personal War" that highlights the inefficiencies and overall futility in how the war on drugs is conducted.

The police chief of Rio de Janiero at the time was interviewed, and it was a candid and frank discussion that anyone interested in this topic should view.

We will continue on this pathetic merry-go-round because politicians in the US, like with every other pressing issue, are incapable of coming up with solutions to a problem that is beyond their intellectual capabilities.

They are knee-jerk, reactionary and tend to think of this issue with an outdated Puritan ethic that prefers to combat what are poverty and substance abuse problems with more law enforcement and more jails. How's that working out, by the way?

To me the crux of the matter is dealing with the gun violence. But because the Second Amendment yahoos think their guns are going to be snatched from their hands their lobby fights tooth and nail to maintain the status quo. Take a wild guess where most if not all of the automatic assault guns used in drug violence across the border come from. That's right, the good ol' US of A.

But if you are a regular citizen in let's say NYC you cannot carry a firearm for protection while crackheads and other assorted villains can arm themselves to the teeth. Does that make any sense?

You cannot legislate morality however much you try. So let's keep spending more money on a lost cause while the Mexican and Colombian cartels keep getting rich. :ermm::ermm::ermm:

As for the video posted by the OP it is tame in comparison to what goes on in the slums of of Brazil. That level of violence will thankfully not be tolerated in the DR, and to compare the video to "Black Hawk Down" is a gross exaggeration.

It looked more like a staged event for the sake of the cameras, and the people who were arrested seemed to have been picked up indiscriminately.

I still don't understand why the dealers left money on the ground when they scattered. That to me seems ridiculous.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Included in the dvd of the film "City of God" there is a documentary called "News from a Personal War" that highlights the inefficiencies and overall futility in how the war on drugs is conducted.

The police chief of Rio de Janiero at the time was interviewed, and it was a candid and frank discussion that anyone interested in this topic should view.

City Of God bonus disc | LOVEFiLM