Cabarete ProCab Incident?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
At 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning after the murder in ProCab the police went into Callejon de la Loma and arrested many Haitian men, including one I know, and took them to jail. Although I don't know that this was related to the murder, it may have been a round-up of the "usual suspects." Or it could have been related to the raging street fight the same (Valentine's) night that began in Bambu on the beach in Cabarete, moved to the street and then spread/moved to Callejon with bottles thrown and shots fired, several seriously injured but no one killed. I'm told the fight was between various young local men from various surrounding towns (Gasper Hernandez, Sabaneta, La Cienega, Callejon) who met on the beach in Cabarete for the night of "Dia del Amor" and who "just wanted to fight." That Saturday night/Sunday morning was a very bad night in Cabarete. One has to wonder if there was any relationship to the round-up of the National Police that was on-going at the same time.

I think you'll find that the arrests on Sunday morning were about the Bambu fight, not the murder of the Dutch resident. The only link I know of to National Police round-up was that Cabarete police had a mob storming the police station last weekend (in an attempt to get their buddies released) so called PP police for back up. At which time PP police were being locked in the station by SD police as part of the 'investigation' into police corruption. So they couldn't help out.
Puerto Plata Digital

Returning to the deceased Dutch man, I'm hearing that his litigation over the hotel was with another foreigner. I don't know whom and if anyone does, better not to post it here for legal reasons. My guess is that despite police claims that they're rigorously investigating, there really is too much going on with the Internal Affairs investigation into the police themselves for this to be given a lot of effort. I just hope that the Dutch & German Embassies are exerting pressure because you have to feel that until arrests have been made, the widow of the deceased isn't totally safe. Particularly if this turns out to be an intentional beating-up which was never meant to be a murder. I hope she has done the sensible thing & left the area.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
I think you'll find that the arrests on Sunday morning were about the Bambu fight, not the murder of the Dutch resident. The only link I know of to National Police round-up was that Cabarete police had a mob storming the police station last weekend (in an attempt to get their buddies released) so called PP police for back up. At which time PP police were being locked in the station by SD police as part of the 'investigation' into police corruption. So they couldn't help out.
Puerto Plata Digital

Returning to the deceased Dutch man, I'm hearing that his litigation over the hotel was with another foreigner. I don't know whom and if anyone does, better not to post it here for legal reasons. My guess is that despite police claims that they're rigorously investigating, there really is too much going on with the Internal Affairs investigation into the police themselves for this to be given a lot of effort. I just hope that the Dutch & German Embassies are exerting pressure because you have to feel that until arrests have been made, the widow of the deceased isn't totally safe. Particularly if this turns out to be an intentional beating-up which was never meant to be a murder. I hope she has done the sensible thing & left the area.

I too was told by a Dominican friend that the Dutch man's dispute was with a foreigner. This friend expressed great certainty of this - something about a sale and failure to turn over papers, which jibes with the quotes from the surviving wife that the intruders sought papers.

Lambada, thank you for the link to the very interesting story in Puerto Plata Digital. Seems there is great uncertainty and apprehension in the ranks. One can imagine why.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Islander777, you're most welcome.

I saw the YouTube video last night. It showed the injuries sustained by Jan and it was a gruesome sight. I didn't think the video would show close-ups but it did.

My heart goes out to the widow and their remaining family.

Btw the video has been cleaned up and is now back on You Tube. The close-ups have been removed. I'm still not going to post the link here because of the sensitivities of family members who might happen upon this thread. But for those who want to see it, go back to my link to El Nuevo Norte and you can access it from there. It now has a different url on You Tube than the previous graphic video.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
...NEVER keep cash in your house. I was told this very firmly when I first arrived. Even if you have to pay someone as much as $2000 pesos - say "Well, I do not keep that sort of cash in the house, so I will have to go to the bank and get it."...

I would disagree with this. I always keeps 15K-20K cash in house in case of a robbery. If someone broke in looking for money my thinking is after getting 15K they would leave, rather than me telling them "i have nothing" and them not believing me and beating on me and my wife "where is the money!!!"

M

MirianAmor

I would disagree with this. I always keeps 15K-20K cash in house in case of a robbery. If someone broke in looking for money my thinking is after getting 15K they would leave, rather than me telling them "i have nothing" and them not believing me and beating on me and my wife "where is the money!!!"

I hate to think what they might have done to us had they not been given money etc. As it was, I suffered several broken ribs from the kicking they gave me before my wife gave them the money etc.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I hate to think what they might have done to us had they not been given money etc. As it was, I suffered several broken ribs from the kicking they gave me before my wife gave them the money etc.

My heart goes out to you and your wife.
I hope you are totally physically healed now....
But....I know the emotionally healing is what takes the longest...and probably never 100 %.
Your home is suppossed to be your refuge, a place you should feel safe and at peace.
Things and money can be replaced...but that feeling of security and peace cannot!

M

MirianAmor

My heart goes out to you and your wife.
I hope you are totally physically healed now....
But....I know the emotionally healing is what takes the longest...and probably never 100 %.
Your home is suppossed to be your refuge, a place you should feel safe and at peace.
Things and money can be replaced...but that feeling of security and peace cannot!

Thank you for your words. We both hate this place now and will be moving shortly. I only hope that Therese heals both mentally and physically. A fellow friend told us she was badly beaten.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thank you for your words. We both hate this place now and will be moving shortly. I only hope that Therese heals both mentally and physically. A fellow friend told us she was badly beaten.

I can totally understand and relate to that feeling.
I moved after our incident.
I hope you can regain that sense of safety, love and peace in your new home and location. Wishing you all the best.
I have never met Therese but my heart aches for her. I hope she gets the psychological counselling and family support she will need to just stand up and live after such an ordeal. I know a woman who experienced what she
has and she was never the same person, a shell of the person she was before.
Sadness.