*** Cars, Jeeps, New & Used Pricing ***

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
does anyone have lambos or other exotics in the dr ?
There is Maserati Ferrari dealer in Santiago too.

cars like this cannnot run well on the DR gas.... quality is too poor.
The check engine light comes on in my Jeep Wrangler if I don't use premium and additivo.

The exotics must run badly on this low octane fuel.... nothing but problems.
Then you have the potholes with the low profile tires.... blowouts.

However, I would love to go back and forth all day on the new autopista in something like that!!!

WW

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I was wondering the same thing is there any room for negotiating on the price do thy want to move these cars or sit on them. I have been looking at one for 6 months and it is still there.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I was wondering the same thing is there any room for negotiating on the price do thy want to move these cars or sit on them. I have been looking at one for 6 months and it is still there.

Bro, this aint Miami.
They will sit on that car for years. I was at a car lot near PUcMM yesterday, in santiago, and they have an ambulance there for what I say amounts to 2 years. Same price. The only thing it ever does is move from one side of the lot to the other, front to back, left to right...but never OFF the lot. They re convinced they re going to sell it...one day. This is also a problem for me because I want an American car but with the importation fee it looks like it be better to buy some South Korean slab of copycat crap.:eek:gre: or some really run down Expedition.
The new Ford Explorer comes out in August. Maybe it s better for you to buy it in Dade and send it here? Me, I bought a 2000 Escalade in NY when I went back last month. Its at my mothers house until I can get in touch with that importer in New Jersey to send it here, and the taxes and duties. Now, I am also wondering what 84 octane will do a GM 6.0L V8.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks Racer I want a wrangler In my opinion when thy build roads over there then I well look at cars until then F that. + I like to move around and go any and every It is a jeep thing + being up in a jeep helps me see the road better that is a little man thing. I liked your land of milk & honey quote. An Ambulance would be a pantie dropper tho dose it come with the beds and nitrous tank.

KikoPresidente

Mar 20, 2009
Me, I bought a 2000 Escalade in NY when I went back last month. Its at my mothers house until I can get in touch with that importer in New Jersey to send it here, and the taxes and duties. Now, I am also wondering what 84 octane will do a GM 6.0L V8.

Racer:

Just an FYI, not sure if your going to be able to import your 2000 Escalade, I know I have seen/read that you can not import a auto more than 5 years old, maybe that number is 6, but I would definately check it out before you get stuck spinning your wheels.

Suerte.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Racer:

Just an FYI, not sure if your going to be able to import your 2000 Escalade, I know I have seen/read that you can not import a auto more than 5 years old, maybe that number is 6, but I would definately check it out before you get stuck spinning your wheels.

Suerte.

Correct, the rules say that an imported car must be no more than 5 years old.

But all rules seem to flexible....... I would take the advice and verify before shipping

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I am looking for a backhoe.Anybody?
Vlokje

I have a friend who father leases Caterpillar equipment here in Santiago. Let me know. I ll get his number for you.

I know there is an age thing but I have seen older cars arrive at the lot with seaboard stickers on the window. Seen a 1998 Expedition and a few first generation Honda CR-Vs also just Saturday and some old ass Maximas too. This is a 1st generation Escalade, actually the same as a GMC Yukon, just with Cadillac badges everywhere.

20 year old Wrangler aint worth more than $1000US, here who knows? Some bone head will buy it.

The Jeep Wrangler Unltd is a hot ass car, $40K in the US.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am sure an older car can be brought in IF you know the right people.

I think thats what people are saying to you, just make your arrangements BEFORE you ship the car so you are confident it will get in.

Good luck/buena suerta

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I m not even sure about that. I just saw a 2001 Honda Civic this morning with a Seaboard sticker on it from last month(dated 03-05-10), so the car just arrived. There is a way to get in it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
This has been discussed many times before. (whew, deja vu just set in)

Folks can still bring in a vehicle over 5 years old. If it is over 5 years old, the import taxes will be the same as a vehicle 5 yrs old.

So, if you bring in a 1995 Nissan, the taxes on it will be the same as a 2005 Nissan.

Once a car is 30 years old, it pays a flat rate, but there are certain requirements that must be made to get the flat rate.

So if you want to pay the value of taxes on a 5 yr old vehicle, on a vehicle that's 15 years old, it's your money. The gov't will be more than happy to accept it.

Older autos make out better not because of lower retail value but more because of the lower reliance on computer controls than are in younger cars. Bringing a car from the US with pollution control devices requires that either the items be removed from the car or the fuel be the equivalent or better than what you d get in that market for maximum performance. Which is why I havent seen one car here that didnt come from there that consistently didnt have a check engine light on.

grsher

Jan 16, 2008
anyone seen electric bikes for sale here I like to cycle but need help on hills
mantra_electric_bike_motorcycle.jpg

There are many kits to be found on Ebay that can be mounted on any bike. Most are from China and most ship worldwide although I'm not sure of the cost to ship to the DR.
I bought a kit here in Vancouver , where I live, in March and brought it with me to Cabarete where I assembled it quite easily. It made riding a lot more fun especially, when it's hot.
Here's the link in Vancouver. They ship worldwide as well.
www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution

WILLIAN60

Jul 23, 2010
Newbie. Looking to finance a 2005 Ford Escape. 245,000 down, finance 250,000. Dealer wanted 15,435 per month for 48 months (appx 750,000). Is this right? Hard to believe auto loan rate is this high!

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Has anyone ever traded in a car in another country and used that money to buy a vehicle in the DR?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Newbie. Looking to finance a 2005 Ford Escape. 245,000 down, finance 250,000. Dealer wanted 15,435 per month for 48 months (appx 750,000). Is this right? Hard to believe auto loan rate is this high!

They are not ashamed to charge you rates of up to 36% per year. Taken a 10% inflation rate per year, it still is very high, but apparently that is where they make their money...

Try asking for a better deal if you will say you pay the car cash... they will laugh at you...

Sorry for the bad news...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some interesting numbers...

Friend of mine 2 months ago brought a new Range Rover Sport (550 hp) from the Range Rover dealer here in Santo Domingo.

Price: RD$5 million (US$135,000)
Insurance: RD$225,000 (US$6,160)

A few weeks ago he had a small 10 mph accident in a car park.
He needed a new hood (aluminium) and a cooling pipe replaced.

RD$410,000 (US$11,230)

He's insurance price isn't looking so bad :)

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
How much tax will you pay importing a new car from the USA to the DR under the 6 month residency exemption?