Cedula Renewal Punta Cana

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Last August I had my permanent residency renewed. All went great. I neglected to drive to the west side of the city to stand in that hellhole of a JCE building to renew my cedula. I figured it has little value anyway.

Well today, I happened to be in the area of the JCE in Veron (Punta Cana). With time to kill, I went in to ask if like in the past, I would be required to renew in Santo Domingo. The pleasant young lady directed me upstairs to a modern office and within 8 minutes of entering, I had my new cedula. Unlike the grumpy people in Santo Domingo, both attendants were pleasant and professional. As it had expired for almost 8 months, I was expecting the run-around. No extra fees...nada. Just what was posted on the sheet near the office door.
I did get a bit of sticker shock, as the prices have increased since my last renewal. I took a photo for anyone who has this process coming up.

If you are in Punta Cana...yes...you can renew right here. No need for the long day in Santo Domingo. They are located right next to the City Hall.
PXL_20240321_153242923.MP.jpg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The one in Santo Domingo is always very quick, I agree it's an ugly building, but I've never waited more than a few minutes there.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We did ours in January (they expired in 2022). In and out in a half hour then went to Higuey for drivers license. No hassle at either.
Renewing the residency card was a pain but it all worked out.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
The one in Santo Domingo is always very quick, I agree it's an ugly building, but I've never waited more than a few minutes there.
What I hated most was the drive and the traffic to get there...then no place to park within 3/4 of a mile. I never made it through the process in less than an hour. Everyone I met had a totally bored look on their faces. Another thing, unlike in Santo Domingo, I did not have to dress like I was going to a funeral. Shorts and flip flops were fine.

Reactions: colmcb

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What I hated most was the drive and the traffic to get there...then no place to park within 3/4 of a mile. I never made it through the process in less than an hour. Everyone I met had a totally bored look on their faces. Another thing, unlike in Santo Domingo, I did not have to dress like I was going to a funeral. Shorts and flip flops were fine.
Never took me more than 10 minute from DGM to JCE(?) . Usually in and out in about 15 minutes. Only twice had to park at the gas station/mini-market one block away. Opposite direction of where you're wanting to go though(PC).

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yes you're right us capital people have a bit more wardrobe savvy than you beach folks. I like these restaurants in Santo Domingo who don't let men in who are in shorts.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes you're right us capital people have a bit more wardrobe savvy than you beach folks. I like these restaurants in Santo Domingo who don't let men in who are in shorts.
I did not come to a tropical island to wear long pants. I hope I can renew my cedula in Sosua later this year when the time comes for the new high tech one. Having to go to Santo Domingo would be even more ludicrous than having to make multiple trips, 4 as I understand it at this time, to Santo Domingo to renew my DR passport.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I did not come to a tropical island to wear long pants. I hope I can renew my cedula in Sosua later this year when the time comes for the new high tech one. Having to go to Santo Domingo would be even more ludicrous than having to make multiple trips, 4 as I understand it at this time, to Santo Domingo to renew my DR passport.
The Magic 8 Ball says: "Not Likely"

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Last August I had my permanent residency renewed. All went great. I neglected to drive to the west side of the city to stand in that hellhole of a JCE building to renew my cedula. I figured it has little value anyway.

Well today, I happened to be in the area of the JCE in Veron (Punta Cana). With time to kill, I went in to ask if like in the past, I would be required to renew in Santo Domingo. The pleasant young lady directed me upstairs to a modern office and within 8 minutes of entering, I had my new cedula. Unlike the grumpy people in Santo Domingo, both attendants were pleasant and professional. As it had expired for almost 8 months, I was expecting the run-around. No extra fees...nada. Just what was posted on the sheet near the office door.
I did get a bit of sticker shock, as the prices have increased since my last renewal. I took a photo for anyone who has this process coming up.

If you are in Punta Cana...yes...you can renew right here. No need for the long day in Santo Domingo. They are located right next to the City Hall.View attachment 8795
This is great news and information. Always disliked the haul into and out of Santo Domingo because of the inconvenience of traffic congestion and limited parking.

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can assure you that you CAN renew your Cedula at any office in the DR. You are a citizen, not a resident...........I was in the Punta Cana one a few months ago and was told to come back there in late October..........

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can assure you that you CAN renew your Cedula at any office in the DR. You are a citizen, not a resident...........
Great, thank you. I wonder why it would not also apply to passports. Oh well, not the right thread for that and the lame excuses have already been made in that regard.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Great, thank you. I wonder why it would not also apply to passports. Oh well, not the right thread for that and the lame excuses have already been made in that regard.
It has been a problem for years renewing DR passports for us. But never any problem with Cedulas.....

Reactions: windeguy