child visitation / support

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The grandson of a longtime neighbor has a child with an ex girlfriend. He has no job except motoconcho at the beach, and has to pay 1000 pesos a month. Chicken feed to us, but a fortune to him. 

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Some of the children in our school have fathers that are mandated by the courts to pay child support...etc, and many of them can only see their children at the school and not take them anywhere. We have a girl at the school whose mother is married to a Dominican York and he is willing to sponsor the girl to come to the states but the girls father, who is also in the USA will not give permission, so she lives with her grandmother and both parents are in the USA , married to different people. Her brother pays for the school.

He will never give permission cause his support will increase ten fold

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
well simple answer for you ...if your looking for LEGAL advice consult a Dominican Lawyer ........if your connecting a light ..do not call a plumber...its best to get an electrician

yes, i am in that process, but i might get coherent advice in the interim 

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Hi, i do not have any intentions to insult you but; first of all make sure that the child is really yours !!!! I read a very interesting and also shocking article in a DR Newspaper. A study published by ADNLAB Santo Domingo (that's a Company for DNA Paternity Testing) showed that according to there 10yr. Statistics, 94% (NINETYFOUR) of the Paternity Tests that includes a foreigner as "alleged Father"
are Negative. This is really scary !!! So before you get to much involved, make sure it's really yours.[/QUOTE

thanks for that advice 

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
If you have the result of a chain of costudy paternity test that is negative, you can remove your responsibility. Mostly done through lawyers and costs are betweem 600-800 $ (not incl. the DNA Test). This is the procedure in the DR, I did it less than a year ago. I do not know the procedure in the US.

Thankfully I've never been in this position, but I have come across cases in the US where once you put your name on the BC you have agreed to take responsibility and they don't care about any paternity test from a legal standpoint. Sounds like it is different in the DR, but maybe you can elaborate on your story of getting your name off a Birth Certificate.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
unfortunately we are ignoring the original question, paternity aside please... what are my custodial rights and can i deny her ability to leave the country with the child without my permission.  if there is no specific answer please close or delete this thread

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps someone can tell you about the parents' letter/signatures (of both) needed for a minor to be taken out of the country.

There is such a rule and we have discussed it here before
plus
I went thru it with my gardener.... his child returning w/ the mother to NYC

Apr 7, 2014
My brother asked the court in Broward County Florida for a DNA test to prove paternity when the son was 11 years old and the judge said it makes no difference. If you accepted him so far, he is your responsibility. No matter what watching Judge Judy would make one believe.
Der Fish
They got all.kinds of weird laws in the US, Derf. You dont even want to know the ways they have to STEAL money from men.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2014
Is $40 relly the most a domican court can make you pay no matter what your income is? I have herd that there is a max chiled sapport payment but do not know what it is .
Come on man, the average Dominican earns $250/mo, IF he is working ON the books. $40 is roughly 17% of his income(like the US).
Besides all the Generalissimos, Diputados, and other high ranking public officials and the Upper class and business segment with their 6 girlfriends in each pueblo would be put in the poorhouse if they assessed in US dollars or more than that percentage of monthly income.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
unfortunately we are ignoring the original question, paternity aside please... what are my custodial rights and can i deny her ability to leave the country with the child without my permission.  if there is no specific answer please close or delete this thread
In order for her to leave alone with your child she must apply for a Permiso para menores with Migracion where you must sign some documents. Not sure how foolproof this process is though. Would also assume you would need to authorize the issuance of a passport and visa.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Do not waste your time any longer with an internet forum. Seek proper, sound, legal advice from professionals.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As KateP stated she needs permission from you to take the child out of the country, however speaking from experience I was never asked for the "poder" except once in about 15-20 times traveling with my son when he was younger. I do not know if you could put in place a "impedimento salida" but I would ask a good reputable attorney about this. I do remember that for my son's Dominican passport both me and my spouse had to sign.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. This page answers your question (in Spanish) about travelling abroad https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/31

2. Re child support, it depends on the wage of the father. The average is around RD$2,000 a month, due to the low average wage. However, it is set at a higher rate if it is thought the father earns more or has access to more.

Example: My stepson earned RD$12,000 a month and paid RD$2,000 in child support. His ex took him to court saying as his step mother was a foreigner (hence obviously rich haha) he should pay RD$12,000 a month - ie his total salary. He managed to persuade the court that his stepmother was of the evil kind and carried on at RD$2,000 a month.

Matilda

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
1. This page answers your question (in Spanish) about travelling abroad https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/31

2. Re child support, it depends on the wage of the father. The average is around RD$2,000 a month, due to the low average wage. However, it is set at a higher rate if it is thought the father earns more or has access to more.

Example: My stepson earned RD$12,000 a month and paid RD$2,000 in child support. His ex took him to court saying as his step mother was a foreigner (hence obviously rich haha) he should pay RD$12,000 a month - ie his total salary. He managed to persuade the court that his stepmother was of the evil kind and carried on at RD$2,000 a month.

Matilda

I have to tell you this one. In Luperon a teenager got pregnant. She claimed it to be my Nephews baby.
My nephew is a Dominican Born Canadian Citizen...thus her child would be the same...quite the prize in the long term,
So before the local Fiscale ordered the Boy (his Father actually) to pay $5000.00 DOP a month...Fiscale was family member of the Girl.
I suggested to get a Lawyer and dampen the Fiscale order until Paternity test can be done.
Then after talking with the Nephew Who actually made note of hid dalliance which he called an opportunity. The Girl was looking full term and from calculations was two months pre-mature.
In the end the child paternity test was negative... Oh OH Oh! An opportunity lost.
But thats the way the cookie crumbles here in the RD
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

Matilda

Evil? Really? Hard to believe.... have a cup of Earl Gray and relax. LOL

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Unless I missed it, if you are from the USA is not the child also a US citizen... if so maybe the US Immigration may ask for Paternity test... being a US citizen should not be determined by a roll in the hay... or should it?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He will never give permission cause his support will increase ten fold

He doesn't pay other than to send her gifts and the other guy (that is married to the mother) is willing to assume financial responsibility, he just doesn't want to cooperate with his ex.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Thankfully I've never been in this position, but I have come across cases in the US where once you put your name on the BC you have agreed to take responsibility and they don't care about any paternity test from a legal standpoint. Sounds like it is different in the DR, but maybe you can elaborate on your story of getting your name off a Birth Certificate.

Sure; it's called "Negacion de Apellido" Goes like this; Chain of Custody Paternity Test (Negative of course) > Lawyer > Family Court (No trial or something only Formality) > Court sentence to remove your declaration of Fatherhood > Junta Central Electoral ! Takes around 6-8 Month if you don't push and it costs less than 1000$ for everything incl. Lawyer. The Test you can do at ADNLAB, Referencia o Patria Rivas. According to my experience, the First i mentioned is the cheapest, and fastest i but that's up to you.

Last edited:

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Intersting read. Still not shour how it is figured out how much my girl would get from her domican men for his kid or how much i would have to pay if i gave her one. Yes i know more then the dom but would like to know both numbers.