Chretien/Mejia Comparison

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
i certainly hope that was $6000 CDN, not US (would be what, $3800 now?). But in any case, it is a form of corruption, although no one would ever call it that. No, it is simply at worst 'an overexpenditure'. Its the same in any gov't job here though, or in an industry with a strong union. Take take take, do the bare minimum. (Not to insult hard working public servants, i know you do exist) We wonder why our productivity is so much lower than America's? Ha! Doesn't take a multi-million dollar RCMP Inquiry or Industry Canada Comission to figure this one out

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Both Pib and Mickey are right!!

It is corruption in the worst form! Talk about wolves in sheeps' clothing. And these people were duly elected to represent the taxpaying citizen and parents and their children. Sad thing about it is most parents and taxpayers don't even know it happened.
I happened to have an inside track because I am a personal friend of one of the "trustees" (HA!HA! What a joke that is!!) who was one of only three trustees who voted against the expense (he happened to have a laptop already anyway however being a simple person -he was elected by default 'cause no-one else in his area ran-who feels he pays way too much in taxes and with a child in school )he felt it was an un-necessary expense.
If these trustees had truly been "honest" they would have declined the motion and instead channeled the funds towards classroom supplies or teachers aides. Of course these same people had just approved "new" board offices to the tune of several million dollars that came out of the same budget.
So please don't blame the gov't for not funding education adequately. Blame instead the local school boards who fritter away these precious funds on other than your childrens best interests but rather pad their own pockets!
IMHO all public board meetings should be open to the public and the taxpayer should make more of an effort to attend these meetings to "regulate" the actions of their elected representatives!!

FYI Pib the dollar amounts are Canadian however either way it's way too much! I just bought a super duper laptop this year and only paid $1600. CAN for it and it's much better than the ones the board bought (of course how much were they overcharged because it was a school board buying them with gov't funds??)
How long until we ALL realize the "Gov't" money is OUR money and how long until we all expected our elected officials to show the respect for it that we do?
How long before we all insist that these same officials (either Canadian, Dominican, American et al) carry out their duties responsibly with no grafting? They are paid to perform their duties just like the average Joe Blow in the average Joe Blow job!! It's up to us to ensure they perform to the best of their abilities with our best interest (rather then their own) in mind!!

Editted to add: BTW when I sat on the English school board it was as an appointed rather than elected person with NO renumeration!! I did it because I was concerned about my children's education and spent up to 30 hours a week for several years doing what I had been asked to do and trying to ensure that the children the board "administered got the best possible with the most appropriate use of funds. Needless to say there were NO new "offices" for the board (the 80 year old building they were in was still "suitable") and no un-necessary expenditure on "window dressing".

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Both Pib and Mickey are right!!

MommC said:
They are paid to perform their duties just like the average Joe Blow in the average Joe Blow job!!
The average Joe Blow job, eh?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
before passing judgement, one would need to know whether the $6000. "privilege" had to be returned to the board at the end of the trustee's term. one also needs to know whether a portion of the internet fees, etc., were declared as a taxable benefit in addition to the board salary. without either of these rather important bits of info it is impossible for anyone to say whether the most appropriate label is corruption or mismanagement.

however, what i find morally bankrupt are the 2-faced elected officials who voted against the issue on "principle" yet accepted the perk after it was approved by the majority.

mob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Principled politicians is an oxymoron

I really don't think there is such an animal...

I watched part of Hipo's speech tonight, but I got a severe case of stomach distress so I had to watch NFL Pre Season football....

HB
BANGHEAD2.JPG

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I also listened to the speech (well, it was more like background noise). The guy is pathetic to say the least. His command of Spanish makes my French sound good, his ideas are all scrambled in his head and it shows.

I felt like HB's smilie. Someone pass the aspirine.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Well he is the hero to the majority of Dominican Voters.
and they want him to be their leader.
he speaks their language . He was speaking to them
not to you and not to us expats who did not even vote.
Me as an expat I accept the choice of the Dominican people
If I dont like it I can leave. There fore I dont protest.
You and all the Dominicans on this board who feel so
superior to him and the regular voters should go out and organise protest.
A week ago he was here on the North Coast.
in Puerto Plata and Sosua. There was nobody protesting
only cheering.
No burning tires . no jeering people. So what do you think Hipolito
thinks?? Even after raising taxes the people still love me...
I do the right thing.
All the dominicans that lost their jobs and will loose their jobs shortly because of his management love him.
or otherwise were is the outcry.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
he speaks their language

And that's the difference between Hipolito and Chretian...Chretian is the only world leader who has a choice of 2 official languages, and cannot speak either one properly!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The problem is, as I see it, is that Hipolito is not the president of the majority, just the one that got the most votes of the three parties that ran.
It must be noted that the Dominican populace is extremely peaceful. Excepting those places where the hotheads are united in gangs-Guachupita and Licey al Medio-there have been extremely few protests.
Just recently the Pharmaceutical companies announced price increased of up to 500%, due to the cost of doing business in the DR. Rayovac, a leader in batteries, used to have the most modern facility in the Caribbean and exported to Venezuela and Haiti. Closed up last month.
If the other political parties knew how to trumpet these calamnities perhaps Hippo's welcome would not be so gentle...

Time will tell....

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Chretien still puts his foot in his mouth......

but at least he's not afraid to open it. And sometimes he even makes sense!!

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Please take what Paul Thate says with a huge grain of salt. His information is sketchy and inflammatory at best. Re: crime and corruption in Canada. One cannot compare the two countries when it comes to politics.
Please note that Canada is NOT a monarchy- that ended in 1867 - when Canada created it's own system. It is a parliamentary democracy and very different than the republican government set up here.
Another big difference is in cultural thinking: Spanish/Latino attitude towards government is that government is out to get them and so one must then commit illegal actions in return. Corruption and bribery is a way of life because family and friends are uppermost in latino thinking and it is the duty of a good son or daughter to help out families and friends at all cost.
This is illegal in Canada, which is why corrcuption scandals are brought to light in the press and then investigated. Not so in this country as we all know.
This difference in values cannot be bridged and so that is why governments in latino countries are run so differently than in Canada or England. I do not include the USA because they have a different kind of government and value system than Canada.
Re: Jean Chretien. Yes, he has stayed on too long and should have retired after two terms. No government is every effective when they stay in power too long. A problem we have in Canada at the moment is that we do not have a credible strong opposition party.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
I thought this thread had died and gone to heaven.
well Nancy you started again.
My statements, take with a huge grain of salt., you say?
In stead of generalizing, attack point for point all my supposed wrong facts.Do it right and accurate if you can.
Which you cant.
I did not compare the cultures I compaired the leaders.
Both tried to surpress the press . Chretien was better at surpressing he got the editor fired .freedom of the press in canada is nonexistant sofar as Chretien is concerned.
This was widely reported in the international press to Canadas shame.
Chretiens corruption is well documented in the canadian press .
Schwanigangate (spelling?)
Then I made a specific claim about crime again well documented
in the canadian press again.
You attack my post with generalities and lies I do not understand your purpose exept for a false canadian pride.
Next time you attack my post prove were I am wrong
and we can debate the issue in the forum or in pms whatever you prefer.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The thing that the two leaders(sic) have in common is their ability to remain popular and deflect critizism like water off a duck's back. They are consumate political animals. Chretien has done little for Canada for the past 12 years except ruin it's international reputation. I'm Canadian, a student of history, and I am embarassed each time the bufoon opens his mouth( which ever side he uses). The sooner both idiots are gone , the better Canada and the DR will both be.

N

Not registered

Now don't take this as an "Anti Canadian" remark, but how in Heaven did you elect the guy so often? we have our own idiot at the helm, but he was NOT elected by the American people, he was appointed by a right wing court and helped along by his brother and cronies in Florida by cheating the people

(lets not argue the US election, that was my opinion only as to why we have an idiot for Prez., the commentary was on the Canadian PM)

Janice

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Not registered said:
how in Heaven did you elect the guy so often?

does anyone here honestly believe that preston manning ,followed by stockwell day, followed by stephen harper would be able to run the Canadian government?

jean charest followed by joe clark?

audrey mclaughlin followed by alexa mcdonough?

there may be a lot of bitching here, but there is no denying there that no other party has been or is capable of providing leadership material.

mob

N

Not registered

mobrouser said:

does anyone here honestly believe that preston manning ,followed by stockwell day, followed by stephen harper would be able to run the Canadian government?

jean charest followed by joe clark?

audrey mclaughlin followed by alexa mcdonough?

there may be a lot of bitching here, but there is no denying there that no other party has been or is capable of providing leadership material.

mob

AGAIN, not Canadian bashing (must step softly here), but are you saying there are no Statesmen/women in Canada capable of leadership?

Janice