Condition of mountain roads

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Thanks to AE and CB for some very good advise but thought i'd post to see if anyone else has traveled these roads lately and has an opinion. I will be in the country soon (Dec 1-20) and will be spending the first few days in Barahona and the last few in Samana. We plan to rent a suzuki gran vitara for the trip. I would like to tour the central mountains on the way to Samana and would really like to take the road from San Jose de Ocoa through Valle Nueva (possibly staying at Villa Pajon for the night) and then to Constanza. From there it would be nice to take the road over the mountain to Jarabacoa, drive from there through Mocha and to the north coast to visit Cabarete overnight and then on to Samana along the north coast. Any thoughts on this route? Will be a sightseeing and picture taking drive and will not be rushed :) Thanks for any suggestions, Ben

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have traveled the road from Moca north to Sabaneta de Yasica which is the way to Cabarete and found the road to have some potholes opening up over the past year. I am guessing as each month passes they will get bigger since I have not seen any recent signs of maintenance on that road. Can't help you with the other parts of your planned trip.

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,
Sounds great! I did this trip the other way round (from Cabarete to Barahona) last year in December on my Suzuki AX100... The road from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza was very bad. I don't know how the road looks like now, but last year it was a dirt road and sometimes worse, often you have to go very slowly. But the ride is very beautiful!
The road from Constanza to Jarabacoa isn't very good neither. Well, they are working on it I think, but when I went to Jarabacoa in June the part of the road I saw (until the Jimenoa Waterfall) was still in the same condition as in December.
From Jarabacoa to Cabarete the road is in normal condition.
Have a safe trip!

TheExpert

Sep 13, 2011
www.dreamridelimousines.com.au
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Several receptive tour companies are standing by at any time to start making arrangements for large groups. What is one sure way to get the family together?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I drove the Sanchez road over the mountain to LT yesterday.
It is in remarkable shape - very good, and very scenic.
And free!!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
I think the thread has digressed :) My OP was concerning the roads from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza, Constanza to Jarabacoa and the one through Moca to Cabarete. I will give an update as soon as I return from this trip with many pictures I hope. Wish me luck! ..... Ben Jammin'

canadandy

Apr 17, 2008
I drove the road from Constanza to Jarabacoa a few years ago, very long and bumpy. Recently the main road from Constanza was washed out, so there is probably a lot more traffic on this other road. We have been getting rain almost every day for the last couple weeks, causes possible landsides that will block roads. This is what happened on the main road out of Constanza.

From Moca to Coast, mostly paved and decent condition, many great views of mountains.

Don't drive these roads in heavy rain or at night, very dangerous. Be prepared to be delayed a day or two if this happens.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks to AE and CB for some very good advise but thought i'd post to see if anyone else has traveled these roads lately and has an opinion. I will be in the country soon (Dec 1-20) and will be spending the first few days in Barahona and the last few in Samana. We plan to rent a suzuki gran vitara for the trip. I would like to tour the central mountains on the way to Samana and would really like to take the road from San Jose de Ocoa through Valle Nueva (possibly staying at Villa Pajon for the night) and then to Constanza. From there it would be nice to take the road over the mountain to Jarabacoa, drive from there through Mocha and to the north coast to visit Cabarete overnight and then on to Samana along the north coast. Any thoughts on this route? Will be a sightseeing and picture taking drive and will not be rushed :) Thanks for any suggestions, Ben

Sorry, I was responding to the Samana reference

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
My appologies William, I should have been more clear. The road from Sanchez I am familiar with and look forward to. I also plan to check out the new road from LT to Catay but probably avoid the toll :)