Dealing with imported Dominican men

contasm

May 10, 2005
This site is very descriptive of dozens, if not hundreds, of American, Canadian and European women bringing/sponsoring these men to their respective countries. Many of these women tell us of their difficulties and struggles when trying to adapt their men to a different life style; job issues; domestic issues and financial responsibilities. My question pertains to the level of compromising that takes places when it comes to spending their combined income (if indeed both contribute to household expenses etc?). Does Jose insists on buying the latest and expensive ?Air Jordan? sneakers (or the gigantean gold neck chain to impress his friends once he?s back to visit DR for the first time) or does he agrees with MaryAnne on saving for a house/condo down payment?
Comments?

Contasm

This site is very descriptive of dozens, if not hundreds, of American, Canadian and European women bringing/sponsoring these men to their respective countries. Many of these women tell us of their difficulties and struggles when trying to adapt their men to a different life style; job issues; domestic issues and financial responsibilities. My question pertains to the level of compromising that takes places when it comes to spending their combined income (if indeed both contribute to household expenses etc?). Does Jose insists on buying the latest and expensive ?Air Jordan? sneakers (or the gigantean gold neck chain to impress his friends once he?s back to visit DR for the first time) or does he agrees with MaryAnne on saving for a house/condo down payment?
Comments?

Contasm

No he wants to spend Maryannes money to impress Yessenia his real wife in the DR and save Maryannes money on the side in order to someday get his true love Yessenia from the Campo up to his new country so him and Yessenia can live off of Maryannes income.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Comments?

From personal experience I can tell you that when you marry a Dominican the issue of money management is a very tricky issue. It will make or break the relationship. Dominican men do NOT like to be told how to spend their money. Having not been raised in a Western society like the people sponsoring them, they cannot and do not draw from the same experience or knowledge base when it comes to money management. Many of them did not have a lot of money when living in the Dominican Republic so they did not have a lot of money to manage. Basically, if they had enough to pay their day-to-day expenses, that was the little bit of responsibility they had with money. There were no mortgage payments, car payments, insurance, utilities, saving for vacation, etc. Therefore, when they start their "new" life abroad and start making serious money, which to them is more than they have probably ever had in their life at one time, they have a huge learning curve to get up to speed on how to manage what they earn with the bills that must be paid versus the things they want to buy or money they want to send home to family, etc. There WILL inevitably be arguments at first over how the person will contribute to the household expenses and what any extra should be spent on. All I can say is that it's a work in progress and you really have to work together and have lots of patience to really try and understand where each other are coming from in where you want the money to go. First of all, you need to sit down with each other and go over the NECESSARY expenses so that each person is well aware of what NEEDS to get paid every month. Share with each other what's really important to you in terms of where your future dreams are. Then you have to look at what your combined income is. You can either agree to share all money equally and once the expenses are paid, you will share the leftover. The only problem with this is that one person will inevitably spend more than the other and somtimes both parties are okay with that but sometimes they are not. Dominican men (my experience) do not like to be told how to spend their money. They will want the newest and latest clothes, chains, etc. because they have probably not been able to have them most of their life and now that they are making enough money and are living in a place where it's possible, they will want to shop. Once the bills are paid, try and work it out so that each of you has your own spending money to spend so that they feel they are in charge of their own money and what they can spend it on. It's hard when two people come from two totally different backgrounds and have different ideas of where the money should go. The main thing that will cause friction is if one person tries to tell the other how to spend their money with no choice... like taking total control. It will inevitably end in disagreement. Hope that helps.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
now we refer to people as "imported" like theyre commercial goods, rather than "immigrants"? lol cool beans.

oh and uh...why the interest in dominican exports? thinking of taking one out soon?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
now we refer to people as "imported" like theyre commercial goods, rather than "immigrants"? lol cool beans.

oh and uh...why the interest in dominican exports? thinking of taking one out soon?

He probably is ;) :cheeky:

contasm

May 10, 2005

Well, yes; I used ?imported? in an ambiguous manner, in some cases, it?s what I call the?Dominican Mandingo Effect? where, sometimes, Jose is brought to USA to satisfy MaryAnne ?certain? needs; who for whichever reasons cannot get any ?action? on her own ?backyard?. But this is beyond the nature of my post.
Regardless of MaryAnne?s intentions, both parties realize; @ some point; that their different outlooks on life are very conflictive once they are out of sunny Sosua. I?m interested on ladies reactions and ways of dealings with these situations/experiences.
I think FiestaMama gave us a very insightful, wise and clear look on her particular situation.

Contasm

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Comments?

Contasm

You have to pay for imported items.

contasm

May 10, 2005
Education

You have to pay for imported items.

And indeed many pay too much for these imported ?Items?. One of the many issues/questions I have wanted to know is the matter regarding the ?imported? item?s education.

In cases where the Education Level (EL) is lower than wife?s; has this caused a downgrade of/on your social circles/friends/acquaintances? Perhaps rejection from relatives?

How has his EL impacted his ability to get a good paying job?
Does he think mastering English fluently trumps Education?
Does he have a desire to upgrade his EL?

I would like to clarify that EL also includes any trade (electrician, plumber, carpenter etc..) or skill set that is not necessarily academic (HS Diploma, College Degree etc..)

Comments are appreciated.

Contasm

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Does he think mastering English fluently trumps Education?
I would like to clarify that EL also includes any trade (electrician, plumber, carpenter etc..) or skill set that is not necessarily academic (HS Diploma, College Degree etc..)

Education: Yes

Skill Level: No

If the guy is a Master chef or a Master yacht mechanic or a Master Electrician or a Master at any number of skill areas he can get by with "Hello", Goodnight" and "Hundredthousanddollars".

English might help him get a job or a promotion with his math/ science degree but he won't have to learn English to run the kitchen at a 4 Diamond restaraunt anywhere in North America, I guarrantee. None of the best chefs do.

edhizam

Sep 14, 2009
OMG.. some of these comments are pretty funny such a "badpiece33" that could indeed be very true..many of the Dominican immgrants that I have met have their girl on the side and tell of a sad story of how they didnt frow up with much, blah blah blach.. so the girl on the side give them money buys them the newest shoes,,etc and then they travel back to thr DR to be with their wife and children and most woman here US and Mexico are okay with that.

So you want insight from an American/Mexican woman who married her Dominican native... well her goes.. I met my husband in Mexico he is a Musician (he isnt) they came to Mexico to work and would travel for 6 months at a time to difference cities in Mexico.. I live in a border town of Souther California so going to Mexico to hit the clubs is usual. well we met dated and all that stuf.. he had no responsibilites such a mortgage , car, etc.. he has a child in DR and also had a child in Mexico.. so his money would go to survive day to day and send his daughters money... when we decided to get married and do all the immigration paper work we talked about how things would be different and how music was not going to put food onthe table and pay for the mortgage.... I like nice things, I want to drive the nicest car, wear nice clothes if I can afford it and have money saved Ill buy it but if the means arent there then I dont buy, I dont live beyond my means. He was aware of that.... we have been married for over 1 year and he has been living in the states ( border town) for over 1 year but still its very brand new to him............. he always makes the comment " yo no se porque la gente se muere queriendo venir a vivir a los estados unidos" he doesnt think its all that he was told about it.. I understand most Dominican are told how wondereful USA is speaking of like New York City.... well where we live its far from NYC.. he is working at a beef plant where it requires MAJOR LABOR.. he liked it at first but hates it now.. its intense labor... his checks are good and im not making as much money as I used too, so right now saldy we are barley making it...every bill gets paid but not much left over ..............we have has to discuss many times why there is no money left over .. the Mortgage is this much, I only got paid this much and etc.... at first it was BAD ,...HORRIBLE.. i said " why did i marry this man" but after talking about it he understand that he NOW has new responsibilites.. he loves the beautiful home we live,,,he loves that he drives a nice car but sometimes forgets what how much those nice things cost.

He has been better now but sometimes we have to discuss this again ......the good thing about him is that he is a plain guy, he has nice clothes but doesnt ask for new things.. sometimes he will get a crazy fluke and ask for something that is totally not needed and wayyy out of budget. We also talked about sending money to his daughters and not the entire family.. we cant , its impossible..his sister has called to ask for money and it upsets me because she can work just like I do, if we had the means to do it we would no problem and have done so in some occasions , that has created a fight once or twice...

we are compromising and trying to make it work... I can on and on about my "imported" Dominican but I'll stop here !! LOL

edhizam

Sep 14, 2009
Sorry I didnt do spell check .. I sound like a fool.. he is a musician i mean to say ( who isnt) LOL...

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
imported better than deported

I don't get it, if Dominican men / woman are so bad
why people waste their time getting married to them, getting
out of the country. after there is a problem start posting
on the web how bad the culture, behaviour, habit, and personality.
then after their arrival expecting the person to change their way their were raised and their dream.

"imported" that's cool word

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Gosh, people who married based on just vacationing hormonal upheaval or to "import" an exotic beauty- whether male or female- will get exactly what they deserve.

Lets face: most marry foreigners to seek a dream- mostly a mirage- in some alien hyped up alien place. Outcome:huge cultural issues, gender roles, adaptation, alienation, mutual unhapiness, divorce.

Lesson lthere: Stick, as much as you can, to men or women of your culture, language, social more and traditions, unless you are willing to stomach the challenges, all in the name of Love!!
It cab be done, but is double the effort..

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You miserable bugger!

If you did not choose your partner based on largely hormonal grounds then that would explain it.

And yes, double the effort maybe but love makes the world go round - didn't you hear??

Is that you AZB?

yess

Jun 1, 2008
first - my dominican partner was not "imported" by me. He has lived here many many years before we met.

When we first came together, he worked for my company and our income was combined. This resulted in major fighting as we both felt exploited by the other.
Both of us were right and both of us were wrong.

Now he has his own business and his income is his own. He contributes X dollars to the household. X being total household expenses divided by number of people in house. This was hard for me at first because I had to stop being a control freak and accept that his money is his money to spend as he will not as I will.

In many ways he is much more frugal than I. After two years he has a dream and a savings plan. Of course I do not agree with all of his purchases but as long as he does not ask me for incidental money (gas, smokes etc.) I have to treat him like the adult he is and leave him be.

And no he does not buy bling

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Gosh, people who married based on just vacationing hormonal upheaval or to "import" an exotic beauty- whether male or female- will get exactly what they deserve.

Lets face: most marry foreigners to seek a dream- mostly a mirage- in some alien hyped up alien place. Outcome:huge cultural issues, gender roles, adaptation, alienation, mutual unhapiness, divorce.

Lesson lthere: Stick, as much as you can, to men or women of your culture, language, social more and traditions, unless you are willing to stomach the challenges, all in the name of Love!!
It cab be done, but is double the effort..

I am wondering if many non Dominican men have the same problem when marrying with Dominican women. Or is this just non Dominican women who can not get a husband in their native country.

edhizam

Sep 14, 2009
I am wondering if many non Dominican men have the same problem when marrying with Dominican women. Or is this just non Dominican women who can not get a husband in their native country.

I was giving my insight on being married to my Husband.... I dont think the problem is just Dominican men who cheat, ask for money, ask for bling,,etc...I think any man or woman would take advantage of the situation if its being offered... my husband prior to us becoming serious would date serveral woman and I know they were giving him gift, cash....but he knew not to try that with me... I havent heard of non Dominicans married to Domincan have the same problem....

The challenges that my husband and I faced were just that challenges but being from different cultures we have to learn to adapt to one another and thats what we are doing ?

Another thing.. this Non Dominican did not have a problem getting a man in my own country.... knew plenty who I could choose from who wanted to be with me but somehow god placed him in my path and visa versa.... Its beautiful to be married to someone of a different culture you learn so much about one another.... you might want to kill eachother once in a while but you try to make it work.....

Reactions: XXKWISIT

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Dominican women with non Dominican men

I suspect non Dominican men who marry Dominican women don't generally have this problem due to the machismo culture. Dominican men are kings, and the women are their slaves. Dominican women are raised to be their slaves and to like it - and to raise their daughters to like it... and their sons to be future kings. Messed up, but that's how it is. Probably one of the main reasons Dominican women seek foreign men... because they're treated better.

From my personal experience, I don't have this problem with my Dominican wife. She's frugal and wants to save money and buy a house. She's a hairstylist and owned her own salon. She was also studying tourism at university. After we got married we went through some very hard times financially. My online business in Canada took a major hit and I was forced to take a crappy telemarketing job in Santo Domingo... :( The money problems just kept getting worse to the point where we were looking for 1 peso coins around the apartment trying to find enough to buy some plantains for dinner. This experience brought us closer together. I eventually had no choice but to move back to Canada (without her) to look for a job.

It took me some months to find my job, but thank God we're doing better and I've since sent the paperwork to sponsor her to come here and join me. I've since convinced her to quit school (because a tourism degree from the DR is worthless in Canada), quit hairdressing and sell her business (because it was taking up too much of her time for very little profit), and to focus on learning English because without that you can't do anything. With a lot of patience, I convinced her it was the best use of her time.

I want her to hit the ground running when she gets here. She is very independent and this is hard for her... because now she's 100% dependent on me for all her expenses. But when she gets to Canada she'll have an easier time getting a job if she speaks English. She can apply to a University or College here to do tourism or anything else... but the classes are taught in English. She can be a hairdresser but her main clients where I live will be Jamaicans and Ghanese... who speak English. We've agreed that she won't be allowed to make friends with Hispanics until after she's fluent in English. Total immersion is how I learned Spanish; she will learn English the same way. The faster she becomes fluent in English, the better off she'll be - and then she can have her independence here and THAT will make her happy.