Denny's Closed Its Doors....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I made a post on their FB page telling them basically the same thing. It would be great if everybody on here went to their FB page and gave them your comments as well.

Water under the bridge, but......

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
But they rather just take a flight to Florida to eat mediocre foreign fast food at will, what happened to that statement of yours?

Where is the monies you alleged to in the barrios I mentioned?

Not an income, standard of living issue, really?

People here make just about and in most cases less than $200.00 dollars a month and its your claim that it isn't an income issue?

Ha! :cheeky:

In Central America poor people celebrate Birthdays or special events at Pizza Hut, Burger King etc. These are minimum wage level people It seems lame but they love that stuff. Dominicans do not.

You seem to know a lot about the ghetto folks in Santo Domingo? Is that the company you prefer ?

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I went one time to Denny's in Bavaro. Just figured I would try breakfast because my cook was on vacation. Well I order a breakfast special. When it comes, no coffee. So I tell the girl I want coffee. She says that does not come with the order and is extra for 90 pesos or so. So I get it. Whole thing was the worst. Nothing was good. And the check was at least twice as much as you would pay in the US.

NEVER AGAIN FOR ME.

OMG now this is so true. At the capitol location on the conde, Id ask for water with lemon and get charged for both. Who freaking charges for water?

I dont want toast, can you replace it with pancakes? No sir, thats an extra charge. They were never going to succeed like that

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
OMG now this is so true. At the capitol location on the conde, Id ask for water with lemon and get charged for both. Who freaking charges for water?

I dont want toast, can you replace it with pancakes? No sir, thats an extra charge. They were never going to succeed like that

Where in this world can you get toast replaced with pancakes or waffles without an extra charge?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
In Central America poor people celebrate Birthdays or special events at Pizza Hut, Burger King etc. These are minimum wage level people It seems lame but they love that stuff. Dominicans do not.

You seem to know a lot about the ghetto folks in Santo Domingo? Is that the company you prefer ?

Avoiding the income portion like the plague, aren't you?

I'm not allowing you to divert this to any other place other than the folks that have no income issues to eat at will at Dennys in Santo Domingo, while at the same time -- they get to take a flight at random to eat mediocre food in FL?

That is the base of your position, prove it?

Ha! so there are guetto folks in SDQ, perhaps the same group that travels to FL to eat breakfast?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Oh yes they did. One of their misguided attempts to grab the market, at ridiculous prices.

I was a regular at Denny's when they opened. I went every Sunday morning for months.

Every Sunday I'd order grits with my eggs. "We don't have grits" they'd say. You'd think they'd catch on after a while, but they never did. I brought little envelopes of grits you mix with a cup of hot water. "We can't do that."

I'd order biscuits and gravy. "We don't have that" I'd say "You have biscuits, right?" "Yes"

I'd say "You have chicken fried steak with gravy, right" "Yes"

"So bring me biscuits with the gravy from the chicken fried steak." They did, but brought the chicken fried steak too. And charged me for it.

Then they eliminated the Chicken Fried Steak from the menu.

Some of the most popular Denny's items, and they didn't serve them.

We won't even talk about running out of hash browns every two weeks or so.

Every.Two.Weeks. Think about that.

I tried making comments and suggestions on their Facebook page. Over and over again.

I spoke to managers on a weekly basis. I even spoke to the owner a few times. Zero interest.

Instead, they decided to make it into a nightclub. A bar, disco lights, a DJ, and singers playing live music. In a Denny's.

Forgive me, but they deserved to shut down.

First they got rid of the Belgian Waffle Combo.....Then they had a Grand Slam for like $315 on the menu that was the best deal. Toward the end they got rid of that also and then you were forced to pay $415 for Lumberjack Slam with just an additional piece of ham. The dinner combo offers were expensive and small portions. Getting coffee and refills was always an ordeal as well.

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
I frequented Denny's also, and was surprised to see it closed when I went for breakfast couple of weeks ago, along with Fuddruckers, wow. About 2 years ago, the food and service at the Denny's was actually quite good compared to most of the ones in the U.S. But like absolutely everything else in DR, things start to slide and no one who works there seems to care. You could sit in that Denny's for an eternity before someone would come and wait on you. After you got your food, they would rarely return to check on you. Several times I had to hunt down the waitress to get my check. If you asked for your drink without any ice, they would put it in a smaller glass. Who does that?

Fuddruckers sometimes would have Turkey Burgers, which I like, sometimes not. Vanilla shakes sometimes, sometimes not. It's the same thing at Hooter's, sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't, then, they just don't have it anymore, ever! They almost never have Presidente Black, which I find ridiculous. Last time I was there, a roach decided to walk across the bar to have a drink with me....sigh.

I tell people who come to visit to leave their "First-World Expectations" back in the U.S. Blessed are those who expect little, for they will never be disappointed.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Could you be more specific in regards to a particular location? I have never seen toast replaced with a menu item at no additional cost.

He must mean French Toast cause no way will a restaurant say sure, two flimsy pieces of out of the toaster bread can be swapped for a stack of pancakes at no additional charge.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Could you be more specific in regards to a particular location? I have never seen toast replaced with a menu item at no additional cost.

So your argument is that because you haven't seen it means it isn't true? It's amazing what can happen if you just ask

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just for curiosity, I checked the online Denny's menu. If you click on "customize for nutritional facts" you will see the options.

¡Mira! Así es.

https://www.dennys.com/food/breakfast-melts-and-omelettes/ultimate-omelette/

This would be for Denny's locations in the US.

I saw that but that really isn't swapping, that is just picking a selection and I am sure the cost of the meal has allowed for whatever you select.

Not exactly like me saying I will take the two eggs and potatoes but swap the toast for pancakes.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
He must mean French Toast cause no way will a restaurant say sure, two flimsy pieces of out of the toaster bread can be swapped for a stack of pancakes at no additional charge.

No I meant what I said and pancakes are very cheap to make. I can't believe you all turned this into the pancake conspiracy

Apr 7, 2014
Oh yes they did. One of their misguided attempts to grab the market, at ridiculous prices.

I was a regular at Denny's when they opened. I went every Sunday morning for months.

Every Sunday I'd order grits with my eggs. "We don't have grits" they'd say. You'd think they'd catch on after a while, but they never did. I brought little envelopes of grits you mix with a cup of hot water. "We can't do that."

I'd order biscuits and gravy. "We don't have that" I'd say "You have biscuits, right?" "Yes"

I'd say "You have chicken fried steak with gravy, right" "Yes"

"So bring me biscuits with the gravy from the chicken fried steak." They did, but brought the chicken fried steak too. And charged me for it.

Then they eliminated the Chicken Fried Steak from the menu.

Some of the most popular Denny's items, and they didn't serve them.

We won't even talk about running out of hash browns every two weeks or so.

Every.Two.Weeks. Think about that.

I tried making comments and suggestions on their Facebook page. Over and over again.

I spoke to managers on a weekly basis. I even spoke to the owner a few times. Zero interest.

Instead, they decided to make it into a nightclub. A bar, disco lights, a DJ, and singers playing live music. In a Denny's.

Forgive me, but they deserved to shut down.

Yea I can believe that. But that is what I said above about Chef Pepper and Pizza Pala and other used to fine eateries in Santiago. The Dominican owners have an undeserved superiority complex. Not only do they know business better than you, they know their market better than you and they know everything better than you. I bet you right now if I talked to the owner he would say it is YOUR fault the restaurant failed. It is a culinary inferiority issue.
That is a cultural problem not a language because they have dozens of Dennys in Miami Dade County which have operations manuals in Spanish. And they probably tweak their menus also.
Might be the reason TGIFridays is a success. They stick with the US menu.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Apr 7, 2014
Or buy in large quantities with adequate refrigerated/frozen warehousing...all of which cost large $$$.

I agree: supply chain management is most likely the culprit.
Pish posh.
BAD management was the culprit. All these foods come in a box. You run out of hash browns every two weeks means you only ordered 5-10 boxes at a time. These companies have franchise reps to work with the franchisees to help them be the most successful. But if you get owners who know more than the corporation how to sell the corporation's product then it is going to be a disaster. You can tell that they didnt read the prospectus, the menu or the employee training materials.

Plus SDQ is like 300 nautical miles from MIA. Its not like you have to drop ship grits and flank steak into war torn Burma.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Reactions: JD Jones

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Oh please, I remember when the first Pizza Hut opened at plaza central on 27 lines around the block. Same thing happened when the first burger king opened, again with taco bell and kfc. and they were on churchill. who do you think keeps those places open all these years it's not expats.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pish posh.
BAD management was the culprit. All these foods come in a box. You run out of hash browns every two weeks means you only ordered 5-10 boxes at a time. These companies have franchise reps to work with the franchisees to help them be the most successful. But if you get owners who know more than the corporation how to sell the corporation's product then it is going to be a disaster. You can tell that they didnt read the prospectus, the menu or the employee training materials.

Plus SDQ is like 300 nautical miles from MIA. Its not like you have to drop ship grits and flank steak into war torn Burma.

The Thermoquad Cowboy
Like I said, supply chain managament: food comes in a box. Those boxes can't come by truck so JIT is not possible.

Subway in the DR, for example, invested in a large dry and cold/frozen storage facility to maintain consistent quality and quantity. That costs money.

Tell us about your restaurant ownership experience...