Docs required for an infant to travel to DR

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
As I mentioned before, my wife just had a baby.

She is Dominican, with a tourist Visa. Our son, however is obviously American, being my son and being born in New York.

Because of work issues I have to be here in the DR but she has to wait at least to get the birth certificate for our son before returing with him to the DR.

We are both pretty unhappy about being apart at this exciting time in our son's life and so would like her to get back here with the baby ASAP.

So the question is:

Is it possible for her to bring the baby back with the birth certificate only? Or does she have to wait for a Passport to be issued for him as well?

(I imagine we should be able to get a passport issued here in the DR at the consulate)

Jan 5, 2006
MrMike, as Dolores pointed out, she will need to show proof that an application was filed for a passport in addition to the birth certificate.

FYI, in order to apply for a US passport, both parents have to be present or the parent not present has to provide a signed, notarized consent. I would think that in the case of a parent being out of the US, the consent has to be notarized at the US Consulate abroad.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Congrats Mike!

I hope you and the baby and wife and daughter are all together soon!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe in New York also...

Many years ago one could go to the main passport office in Miami, Florida in person and get a passport the same day if they provided proof of leaving the country prior to the time it would normally take to get the passport.

Perhaps in New York one could do the same.

Try calling or visiting a passport office and ask them if an expedited passport could be issued and what you have to do to obtain one.

Jan 5, 2006
Expedited passports are available at regional offices, which include New York (Manhattan), to people that will be traveling within the next 14 days. You have to make an appointment via telephone, and the child and both parents (or consent as stated above) have to be present. You also have to show them your travel ticket or electronic itinerary to prove your travel date. I just did this about 3 months ago for my son and will only take 3 to 4 hours of your time at the passport office.

All the info that you can want on this subject, including how to make an appointment, office locations, fees, etc., can be found at Passport Home