Does anyone feel the same way??????

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Criss... I understand that totally! I know it's a hard life and it's different for other people going to living there, than those born there, or giving up everything to live there, like you! I understand that, but I can't help where I was born. Does that make me any less worthy to live in the D.R? I don't need a lecture on the hardships that Dominicans went through or are going through.(floods, no water, phone problems, etc) What would I do if there was no "home" to go to you ask? Well, the Dominican would be my "home" if I lived there. That's where I would go. I know you probably think that I am just naive because I don't have the worldly experience like both of you, but that also shouldn't prevent anyone from going to live there. How else does one get the experience, except by immersing themselves in the culture and you can't do that without living there.
Fred.... why do you always refer to Dominicans as "poor" dominicans. You seem to feel really sorry for the people of the R.D. What are you doing about this attitude?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don't need to become a Dominican citizen, Fred, to see the disadvantages to it - I'm not an idiot.

But the 7 YEARS I SPENT LIVING THERE sort of entitles me to respond to your original comments.

...for someone to have to live as many Dominicans do, you would not last their [sic] long.
Now, I didn't live in a gated community, or in a villa by the sea. I lived in Charamicos. For 7 years. I HAVE lived as many Dominicans do, and for every single negative point you list, I could list a positive. Life in Canada is far from perfect, so doesn't it all depend on one's priorities?

the doors are closed for you. If your father is dying or some other tradgedy, you cannot even go and visit them.

Them's the breaks, kid. Don't cast an air of hopelessness about all Dominicans, as though they should resign themselves to their fates and just give up. I can think of a dozen places in much greater need. So maybe your advice should be: Don't go live in the DR if you're a big, whiny, spoiled baby. Unless you're a big, RICH, whiny, spoiled baby, that is.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Change of Attitude

This means the people who dont have the resources like yourself, or family aboard to look for help.

I did my share while I lived there, my conscience is clear.

I only feel sorry for the elderly or sick or the ones that cannot help themselves, I do not feel sorry for freeloaders.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You rock too Meredith!!

Let's lay down some info here and get some feed back.
When Hubby and I married.....I was an "orphan"-widowed mother with teenager living on $98.Can/month....some gov't handout right!...Hubby had $300 bucks in his pocket and I had $60......Not so great a start is it?? We eloped...no big wedding with presents and money gifts.......
When we worked and saved and started to get ahead a bit.then one of our children suffered a devastating injury that ultimately lead to his death. However in the 4 1/2 yrs before that event we spent hundreds of thousands of $$$$ for his treatment and care (so much for "universal health care- have a serious illness of accident and see real quick just what ISN'T covered by it!") How did we survive....by mortgaging the next 20 yrs of our life,borrowing every dime we could from friends and family (now all paid back!), accepting "charity" when it meant putting food on the table for the rest of our children and WORKING OUR BUTTS OFF! 16-18 hrs a day!!! And I didn't have another "home" to run to.....We survived!! And learned to deal with whatever life threw at us........
Also we did start a business (with $1500. borrowed money) and it's still thriving and providing good paying jobs for those who work there.
Gee sounds kinda Dominican doesn't it?
Dominicans are very family orientated.....they have to be to survive. They also help each other out when needed.My husband "works" for free while we're here to help out a Dominican friend with his business so he can in turn help his family.
And what have YOU done lately?
The point is -anyone can learn what they need to do to survive-the question is how many are willing to make the sacrifices needed to not just survive but to thrive?

And Criss-while I appreciate at lot of the points you make I have to question you on your comment to me....you're right ...I live comfortably here....but I hasten to add that even if I had been born a "poor" Dominican I would still be living comfortably here.
I was born a "poor" Canadian and I do quite well there (with never having received a "welfare" payment or "Social assistance " cheque) Charity yes......and I now donate every year the amount of charity $$ we received so I didn't just pay it back once....I pay it back every single year so "others" who find themselves overburned might have the same opportunities we did!!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
I know Charamicos very well

Why did you leave? There is no perfect place in the world. I had my time there. By the way is the movie theater still open there?

I used to know the owners daughter Chistian Betin.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
I applaud you

Maybe this is the attitude that many Dominicans need to survive in their own country. Instead of complaining how hard things are.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Bit?n died, actually. Last year. And the cinema is now an almacen. Heh. Small world. I don't know *that* daughter, but the guy had like 30 kids...so...

It was *time* to come here. We'd been hedging on this decision for about 3 years and our eldest entered school last year, so it seemed like good timing.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Too bad

I helped her brother start to sell popcorn at the movie theater. Do you know a Dominican named Nazario, he had a sister called Alejandrina. She was the boyfriend of the Italian guy who owned a hotel, I think it was called Nicos but I dont remember

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The only sons of Bitin's that I know are To?o and Jimmy. Oh, and Migdomia and Cunita.

But Nazario...Didn't he kill himself several years ago?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Thanks

I dont know if he killed himself but he was the boyfriend of an older lady named Christine. He son died a few years back, electrocuted, he owned the bar called La Paloma on the same road as the police station, but farther down.

By the way, is your husband Dominican?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah, we're thinking of the same Nazario. I didn't know him personally, but, yes, he hanged himself because the doctors told him he couldn't drink alcohol. Awful.

And, yes, my husband is from Sosua. Luis Juma is his name.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, Fred, I know the story of your friend's death. My sister-in-law is Bitin's niece - she's told me that story many, many times.

La Paloma doesn't exist anymore but I know the place you're talking about. And the police station is no longer on that street. It's moved to El Batey.

When's the last time you were there? I think you'd freak to see how much it's changed.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jane, I'm sure you also know my dead friend Horst the german guy who
owned the Rock Cafe in Charamicos and may be his and my buddy
Herman the red head with the pony tail? When I was still drinking a
lot thats where I hung out all the time.
After seeing what it did to my friends I have given up king
alcohol altogether and have become the soda_man. X.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Congatulations x_man

Glad you came to your senses..........Brugal is nice.....but not nice enough to die for!! :D

harold

Mar 23, 2002
Meridith,
After arriving from DR last June: I have remained in a "DR state of mind." Meaning I still behave as I did during my my stay with family members. Water to me is preicous.I don't leave the water running while brushing my teeth,washing dishes. I look forward to rainy days. I now notice windy days,then turn off the A/C and enjoy!

I try to convince my parents behave with this conservitive attitude. Their answer is "thats for third world contries." They show contempt to the country where they grew up. That pisses me off!

Thank You for this subject you brought up.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Harold, thanks for your reply!!! It means so much to hear from everyones comments on this subject. So, your parents are from the D.R, but you aren't? It is so hard, when people don't understand your way of thinking! I hope you continue to post your comments on here!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
X_Man, I know who red-haired pony tail guy is but Horst, no. I wasn't very involved in the German bar scene...

You know, we've been here in Canada a year now, and sometimes when the fridge makes that noise? That motor noise? We brace ourselves for the lights to go out! Still! But it never does. And I've had a lot of Crocodile Dundee moments too. Like I tried to "get in" to the same compartment of a revolving door with someone else. Uh, that was embarrassing...Just moments when I forget how things work here. Or wishing I could get something 'fiao' or be able to buy *one* pamper, *one* cigarette, or 2 pesos of salsa. Noooo, here you have to buy the whole thing.

We're going back in May for 2 weeks and I can't wait.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
here I come

I am going back in early May for two weeks. I also convinced three of my friends to go with me so it's going to be a great time. I hope I'll have to the opportunity to meet of you there.

Can't wait!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note to meredith

I am interested in how you ended up in a poorer than poor barrio of Santo Domingo with norealization of what you were getting into? No mosquito netting?
What sort of orientation program did your group provide you with?

You know, folks, going native is for the natives.

HB, with a wee bit of tongue in cheek, but genuinely curious about this...