Dolarlization of DR !?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Narcosis said:
So as you see it is all a Hipocracy game, while we are now asked to drop all subsidies by the IMF the European Union subsidized agriculture with 104 Billion Euros last year! US and Japan over $40 Billion each as well, to protect whom? farmers that basically do not want to leave their way of life or "tradition" at the cost of millions in poor and developing nations, the same nations that are not allowed to sell their products to rich nations making these food producing endevours un-profitable and at the end we get dumped by cheap subsidized surplus..

Instead of adopting the dollar or joining the EU, what we should really strive for is a unification of Latin America, we have more natural resources than most regions of the world. Venezuela should break from Opec and market their oil freely, We could adopt Brazilian tecnology and make it more cost-effective within our own group of nations and copy the EU in having a central regulating body that would monitor elections and bring forth common laws and a continent-wide judicial system and stop being so foolish and dragged into negotiating free-trade deals individually with the US and do it as one big group.

First Paragraph: You just hit the nail straight on!! I always wondered why poor countries are not allowed to exploit the one thing all poor countries know how to do well, Agriculture. Always wondered that. Of course, I knew it all along. I keep myself well informed with a friend of mine (he's the oldest friend I got so far). This guy used to work for the World Bank, he was fired after making public documents that showed IMF involvements that agravated the Argentinian crisis. Ever wondered why the IMF kept lending money to debt ridden Argentina? But really, Narcosis just hit the nail. Much of the first world talks about FREE TRADE, FREE TRADE, FREE TRADE. People love to talk about competition, market forces, blah blah blah. Look at that, I knew those farms in Iowa and Nebraska and Indiana were cheating along the way. I just knew it!

Second Paragraph: I really like that idea about a unified Latin America. I really do. By the way, I'm not for uniting with the U.S. or Europe. My previous posts were based on the assumption that we just had to chose between the two, I'll choose Europe. People please, don't quote me on this. If you want to know why I think such way just read all my other posts thank you. Back to Narcosis now, I really like that idea. It should be called Union Latina. We have the resources all over the place, we have the brain power, we have the army power (if all latin armies united), we have it all right under our noses. Why are we giving it to the first world? Latin America should unite, end of story!

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Viva Latin American Armies

Rattus_Rattus said:
Yes i agree, you have my vote... :smoke:

I agree also, let the "Latin American Armies" unite and become the "Policeman of the world," (France is offering Military lessons and production of materials) the US and England are tired of taking care of everyone elses problems, be it misguided or not

Personally I think it would be great if we recalled all our soldiers and let them stand hand in hand around US borders while we built a wall to keep the rest of the World Out/

I wonder how many think that way these days, the Ungrateful US Citizens that is

On this day, 59 yeast and 364 days after unknown thousand sof Americans, Brits, Canadians, Aussies and others died in Normandy, let the "Latin American Armies" unite and solve world crisis

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
I'm not questioning American Democracy, I know it's alive. I just don't know if it will be down the line. And maybe Iraq slipt your mind. More than half the population still dissaprove this war. In addition to the largest anti-war demonstrations on earth prior to the war and the largest anti-war demonstrations in the U.S. since Vietnam. We still bombed the heck out of Saddam though. Again, not questioning American democracy, just pin pointing what's currently happening to have an answer to difficult questions in the future. (You know, when people start to say " what happened to Democracy? I say, you know I saw this coming when etc")

Check the polls prior and immediately after the Iraqui war started. You'll find that a VAST majority supported the action. So, your inferrence is misstated for your convenience and not correct.
Yes, a large number of people marched in objection to the war, but the numbers were not significant when compared to those supporting the action.
It does prove, however that the US is NOT the war-mongering, power hungry nation many of you would have the world to believe.
"Pinpointing current happenings to having an answer to difficult questions in the future" means what??? Sorry, but I don't get the significance. But then, evidently I'm not getting the significance of many of your posts, either.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Narcosis said:
No Bill we don't "IGNORE" this, as a matter of fact it is those same US Unions that lobby and employ local union leaders, help subsidize strikes here and bring to the international attention any and all violations possible.

Along with assorted highly paid NGO and UN employees (some are regular posters here) that continually report so-called health violations, as well as human rights violations that we have no way to overcome and be competative at the same time.

So as you see it is all a Hipocracy game, while we are now asked to drop all subsidies by the IMF the European Union subsidized agriculture with 104 Billion Euros last year! US and Japan over $40 Billion each as well, to protect whom? farmers that basically do not want to leave their way of life or "tradition" at the cost of millions in poor and developing nations, the same nations that are not allowed to sell their products to rich nations making these food producing endevours un-profitable and at the end we get dumped by cheap subsidized surplus..

Instead of adopting the dollar or joining the EU, what we should really strive for is a unification of Latin America, we have more natural resources than most regions of the world. Venezuela should break from Opec and market their oil freely, We could adopt Brazilian tecnology and make it more cost-effective within our own group of nations and copy the EU in having a central regulating body that would monitor elections and bring forth common laws and a continent-wide judicial system and stop being so foolish and dragged into negotiating free-trade deals individually with the US and do it as one big group.

I submit that a majority of the hypocracy sits in the laps of Latin America!
If, as you say, these countries posess such VAST resources (which you say above) then why don't the monied people of Latin America develop these resources themselves?? Huh? Are not THEY the ones who are hipocritical by avoiding their patriotic duty to develop their OWN COUNTRIES and SOLVE THEIR OWN economic, political and social problems?? Huh? Yet, like the whiner that you are, you continue to abrogate your inherent responsibilities and try to place the blame at someone else's door. Why, oh why, don't you GROW UP into manhood and quit being the child. Don't you realize that the problems are the result of a continuous failure to properly regulate and govern by previous incumbents who had absolutely no compunction about the wellbeing of their country or it's people. And that applies to the whole of Latin America. It is endemic to the entire region. READ YOUR HISTORY!!!
Additionally, where are your deposits of Iron, Tungsten, Tin, etc., etc. that you allude to? Huh? Also where are your manufacturing centers of heavy equipment that don't depend on imported raw materials for their products? Huh?
I believe you have a beautiful pipe dream, but you're smoking the wrong product!
The main reason I don't think such a dream will succeed is that you don't have the necessary driving ambition to make it a reality. You like to dream your schemes, but haven't the ability to bring them to fruition. Now, if you think you do, then PROVE ME WRONG by actions, not by empty words!!!

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Texas Bill said:
er you are, you continue to place the

I submit that a majority of the hypocracy sits in the laps of Latin America!
If, as you say, these chy doesn't the moniedountries posess such VAST resources (which you say above) then why don't the monied people of Latin America develop these resources themselves?? Huh? Are not THEY the ones who are hipocritical by avoiding their patriotic duty to develop their OWN COUNTRIES and SOLVE THEIR OWN economic, political and social problems?? Huh? Yet, like the whiner that you are, you continue to abrogate your inherent responsibilities and try to place the blame at someone else's door. Why, oh why, don't you GROW UP into manhood and quit being the child. Don't you realize that the problems are the result of a continuous failure to properly regulate and govern by previous incumbents who had absolutely no compunction about the wellbeing of their country or it's people. And that applies to the whole of Latin America. It is endemic to the endemic to the entire region. READ YOUR HISTORY!!!
Additionally, where are your deposits of Iron, Tungsten, Tin, etc., etc. that you allude to? Huh? Also where are your manufacturing centers of heavy equipment that don't depend on imported raw materials for their products? Huh?
I believe you have a beautiful pipe dream, but you're smoking the wrong product!
The main reason I don't think such a dream will succeed is that you don't have the necessary driving ambition to make it a reality. You like to dream your schemes, but haven't the ability to bring them to fruition. Now, if you think you do, then PROVE ME WRONG by actions, not by empty words!!!

Texas Bill

Oh Bill you again step over yourself..

Brazil has one of the largest Iron mines on Earth, exporting abroad, Brazil also possess heavy industries, auto/bus/airplane manufacture. Planes are also exported, Brazil has a space program and develops their own drugs.

Venezuela has one the top 5 largest oil reserves on earth as well as about every other natural resourse. Bolivia has vast reserves of natural gas, Colombia has coal and precious minerals and ore.

Their are millions of square miles of grazeland in Venezuela, Brazil, Uruguay and especially Argentina with cattle. Chile, Peru and Ecuador have some of the best fishing waters on earth.

Central America and the caribbean have some of the best coffee, cacao, and fruit production.

I could go on and on but would do no good as what I have said seems to hurt you somehow. Time will tell If I am right but don't worry If there is one front us Latin Americans are very bad on is on agreeing with one another on a united front and making our combined power be felt and used to our own benifit.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Narcosis said:
Oh Bill you again step over yourself..

Brazil has one of the largest Iron mines on Earth, exporting abroad, Brazil also possess heavy industries, auto/bus/airplane manufacture. Planes are also exported, Brazil has a space program and develops their own drugs.

Venezuela has one the top 5 largest oil reserves on earth as well as about every other natural resourse. Bolivia has vast reserves of natural gas, Colombia has coal and precious minerals and ore.

Their are millions of square miles of grazeland in Venezuela, Brazil, Uruguay and especially Argentina with cattle. Chile, Peru and Ecuador have some of the best fishing waters on earth.

Central America and the caribbean have some of the best coffee, cacao, and fruit production.

I could go on and on but would do no good as what I have said seems to hurt you somehow. Time will tell If I am right but don't worry If there is one front us Latin Americans are very bad on is on agreeing with one another on a united front and making our combined power be felt and used to our own benifit.

Thank you for the update on South American Geography. It was very informative.
Now, How about the rest of my post that you so conveniently ignored??
What about those who hold the countries in economic and political thrall?
You made no mention of them? Why not? Are they not part and parcel to the problems? I believe so!
BTW, what you say really doesn't hurt me as much as it does you. You continue to evade specific questions and launch evasive and incomplete answers to the questions posed.
Your right, you could go on and on and that's exactly what you do while NOT responding to direct challanges to your suppositions.
You DENY that products are marketed based on the dollar and state that they are instead marketed on the peso. That's a lot of hogwash. You know it and I know it, so why not admit it. Just another case of 'head in the sand".

All of you, get this loud and clear!!

I am NOT attacking the people of the Dominican Republic, per se!! What I am attacking is THE SYSTEM (and THOSE WHO SUPPORT IT ) that is responsible for the political/economic dilemma facing this nation today. And I will add, IF THE SHOE FITS, THEN WEAR IT because YOU(plural) are the problem. Not the USA; Not Europe; Not the IMF; Not the World Bank; NONE of these are truly responsible for current conditions. It is, and has been, the uses to which these entites been put that are at fault. They have merely responded to a request, and like a good business should, have place restrictions on the uses of their offices.

Texas Bill

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Thank you for the update on South American Geography. It was very informative.
Now, How about the rest of my post that you so conveniently ignored??
What about those who hold the countries in economic and political thrall?
You made no mention of them? Why not? Are they not part and parcel to the problems? I believe so!
BTW, what you say really doesn't hurt me as much as it does you. You continue to evade specific questions and launch evasive and incomplete answers to the questions posed.
Your right, you could go on and on and that's exactly what you do while NOT responding to direct challanges to your suppositions.
You DENY that products are marketed based on the dollar and state that they are instead marketed on the peso. That's a lot of hogwash. You know it and I know it, so why not admit it. Just another case of 'head in the sand".

All of you, get this loud and clear!!

I am NOT attacking the people of the Dominican Republic, per se!! What I am attacking is THE SYSTEM (and THOSE WHO SUPPORT IT ) that is responsible for the political/economic dilemma facing this nation today. And I will add, IF THE SHOE FITS, THEN WEAR IT because YOU(plural) are the problem. Not the USA; Not Europe; Not the IMF; Not the World Bank; NONE of these are truly responsible for current conditions. It is, and has been, the uses to which these entites been put that are at fault. They have merely responded to a request, and like a good business should, have place restrictions on the uses of their offices.

Texas Bill

First of all a suggestion to you Bill. Please make sure you know which post you are responding to, this is not the first time you mix posts up.

Second you seem to have a problem with putting blame? No one has put the blame on anyone. I was simply stating facts not placing blame. The fact hypocracy exisits is very evident and is not an excuse or a form to place blame, your favorite and only response when faced with reality.

Just a thought for you, as your stubborn train of thought will eventually catch-up with you and swallow you up, but even then you will stand stubbornly in denial. Funny how people can still defend what most hurts them as well as others. I'm sure Americans are now questioning if it is worth paying current fuel prices just to appeal to Large US corporations, or to keep losing more jobs to outsourcing to make the bottom line more profitable to these same corporations.

No hypocracy you say? Big US oil companies have no problem and neither does Washington doing business with Saudi Arabia a country that has some of the worst human rights violations that are par for the course over their not just a passing cycle, a country that is as far from democracy as you can get, is the homeland to most of Al Queada members and basically is responsible for current fuel prices.

When Venezuela went on strike last year and fuel exports were slowed down Saudi Arabia did nothing to avoid an eventual rise in price by increasing production, of course the Big US oil companies would end-up making more money and the American people losing.

No hypocracy? When the US is eager to have trade with China, sweeping under the table human rights issues, the fact they have sweat-shop standards is not important as long as US corps get a crack at such a huge domestic market. Other countries that actually make an effort to comply to these commerce rules are submitted to ridiculous quotas and manipulated un-fairly. If we are to play by equal rules, let us do it fairly but of course you say I am looking for blame.

No hypocracy when the US and other industrialized nations have built their weath and power by raping the enviroment and now after they have done so much damage turn and impose the new standards to developing nations, some of which even they don't obey! Real easy to do now right, but of course I am only blaming.

No hypocracy when you mention the history of Latin America yeah just about every single dictator was supported by the US and then hypocritically condem the same government when politically necessary. This is seen all around the world as well, maybe that is why history is not taught in the US so people will not realize this major hypocracy.

Believe it or not Bill I consider myself right of center and embrace free-market commerce and above all democracy, but I will continue to speak-out when my interests are put into jepardy, yes just like you do, so don't be surprised if these interests conflict with your take on reality.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Narcosis said:
No hypocracy when you mention the history of Latin America yeah just about every single dictator was supported by the US and then hypocritically condem the same government when politically necessary. This is seen all around the world as well, maybe that is why history is not taught in the US so people will not realize this major hypocracy.

Aaah, the beauty of Hypocrasy! Narcosis, you hit the nail again!

Lets refresh TB's memory about Latin American history. Since he does realize that much of the misfortune in Latin American has been tied to the governments of the past and the current governments, lets make this very clear. Past governments (like Trujillos) were supported 100% by the Americans.

President Nixon when he was the vice-president was quoted once saying "Trujillo may be a son of a bitch, but at least he is our son of a bitch".

A Military general of the United States was also quoted once saying "Trujillo is a fine leader. He lives and thinks like a Marine. Latin America could use 20 more leaders like him".

Let's also not forget that when Trujillo was killed in May 1961 on the Malecon of Santo Domingo, he had billions of dollars in U.S. banks. Billions that disappeared afterwards into the banks of the U.S. Not just that, Trujillo was the second wealthiest person on earth when he died. Where did all that money came from? U.S. buying Dominican Sugar at exorbitant prices, in fact the Dominican Republic supplied more than half of all the sugar used in the United States at the time.

The Trujillo dictatorship received the most economic aid from the United States. In fact, the Dominican Republic was the biggest aid recipient from any other country in the globe.

Trujillo killed the Mirabal sisters and that was fine to the Americans. In fact, everything with Trujillo was fine with the U.S. until Trujillo proved to be willing and capable of becoming a Latin Superpower with out fear when he almost killed Venezuelan president Bentacourt as well as when he kidnapped a Dominican Professor at Columbia University in NY and killed him.

In addition to all of that, Trujillo constantly supplied American politicians with monetary "gifts" to keep them quiet and that they did!

Hypocrasy doesn't even begins to explain the U.S. habit of supporting non-democratic regimes when its in their best interest or should I say their corporations and rich idividuals best interests.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
ltsnyder said:
but are you sure?

The correct answer is that you can't be sure. The law by it's very nature can be abused, and there are no checks and balances in place. Kind of like a communist saying the communist system works because there are kind and careing people in charge.
-Lee

Under International Law( the Geneva Convention), a combatant who has been taken prisoner under combat conditions is classified as a "Prisoner of War" and NOT classified as a "Political prisoner". The latter being imprisioned by a government who views him as a dissident.

Look up the definition since you obviously don't know.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Like so many threads which, in the past, have started out with a very sh tointeresting subject, this one has, like all the others, ended up as a political platform about what an ogre the US is.

Since that subject seems to be the one a very few wish to follow, I'll just let them do so.

Hasta la Bye-bye

I hope you enjoy your life in your Shangri-la.

And you're(plural) STILL responsible for the good And the bad taking place within your country's boundries. I will accept that in the case of MY country, will you accept it for yours??

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
And you're(plural) STILL responsible for the good And the bad taking place within your country's boundries. I will accept that in the case of MY country, will you accept it for yours??

Texas Bill

As long that I see Coca Cola taking business away from Refrescos Country Club or American Airlines taking business away from Air Santo Domingo or Citibank taking business away from Banco Leon, I will not ever believe that the problems of the DR are the sole responsibility of the DR. External forces have been impacting our country for quite sometime, not everytime it has been for the better. Take some of your responsibility and please TB stop the "It's never my fault" attitude that you (and others) always claim that is the way Dominicans are, but I'm seeing the samething in you all. Take some of your responsibity and stop acting like if the U.S. had nothing to do with the DR in the past or in the present!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
As long that I see Coca Cola taking business away from Refrescos Country Club or American Airlines taking business away from Air Santo Domingo or Citibank taking business away from Banco Leon, I will not ever believe that the problems of the DR are the sole responsibility of the DR. External forces have been impacting our country for quite sometime, not everytime it has been for the better. Take some of your responsibility and please TB stop the "It's never my fault" attitude that you (and others) always claim that is the way Dominicans are, but I'm seeing the samething in you all. Take some of your responsibity and stop acting like if the U.S. had nothing to do with the DR in the past or in the present!

If the mentioned companies can't ,or won't, compete in the marketplace, it's NOT the fault of the competetor, but the fault of the competee. MANAGEMENT and their apptitude/inapptitude have a huge amount to do with who get's the business. A better product with a better price will ALWAYS win out over a mediocre one or one which won't/can't compete. That's the way business is!

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
If the mentioned companies can't ,or won't, compete in the marketplace, it's NOT the fault of the competetor, but the fault of the competee. MANAGEMENT and their apptitude/inapptitude have a huge amount to do with who get's the business. A better product with a better price will ALWAYS win out over a mediocre one or one which won't/can't compete. That's the way business is!

Texas Bill

So you are telling me that its better to have foreign competition rather than having domestic competition. Its better to have money flow out of the country than to have money stay in the country! Interesting, then you would agree that the First World should drop their subsidies to corporations and farms so that the fittest and most competitive (ie. the Cheaper Third World Farms) would win in that situation? Would you agree? Would you agree to a collapse in the American and European farming industry because they can't compete with cheaper third world farming? Are you willing to accept that reality of Free Trade? If so, you'll be the first American that I've talked to that would truly believe in the Free Trade everyone seems to be talking about. But if you don't agree, then you know there is something wrong with Free Trade, but as long that your own are not affected its ok. If so, how can anyone say that the problem of a country like the DR are the sole responsibility of the DR and other countries that influenced the DR have no responsibility what so ever? Please answer my first question which is, would you agree that first world farms and corporations should operate without subsidies?

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Like so many threads which, in the past, have started out with a very sh tointeresting subject, this one has, like all the others, ended up as a political platform about what an ogre the US is.

Since that subject seems to be the one a very few wish to follow, I'll just let them do so.

Hasta la Bye-bye

I hope you enjoy your life in your Shangri-la.

Texas Bill

Still waiting for your response to my last post, but instead you came back with your "default" response.

If you do take responsibility for what goes on in your country why don't you acknowledge it and not try to put spin on the subject at hand by flag waving and chest slapping like a good ole boy.

The mere fact you underestimate our ability to progress on our own by even underestimating the wealth of natural resources we posses, is proof that you can't see beyond your own propaganda.

I had stated in my post that we (Latin Americans) lack the will to group and work together and help each other become the sleeping giant that we are,(mea culpa), but you ignored that and came back with the same old political line that we are responsible for our own past.

If you really mean what you said about taking responsibility for what your country does why don't you admit to your country's role in the Latin American past/present? Instead you resort to saying we are US bashing, a very effective way to get the least intellectual members of this forum to jump-in and whistle dixie in your support.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I've tried 5 times to post an answer and my damn computer keeps jumping all over the place with me. I think I have a conflict between the touchpad and the mouse that I can't seem to overcome.
Give me a little time and I'll answer. just be patient.
I haven't given up yet! and that's not to be construed as a cop-out!
I shall return!

Texas bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
I've tried 5 times to post an answer and my damn computer keeps jumping all over the place with me. I think I have a conflict between the touchpad and the mouse that I can't seem to overcome.
Give me a little time and I'll answer. just be patient.
I haven't given up yet! and that's not to be construed as a cop-out!
I shall return!

Texas bill

Your computer jumps around when you try to answer his questions and yet it didn't jump around when you answered mine or when you placed the last post which I quoted. I must say, you have a weird computer! Let your computer know that we don't appreciate such action because it seems to only allow your ideas out into the DR1 forums, but that is it! Again, weird computer (excuse maybe?).

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The darn thing has been this way for about a week now and is starting to p*** me off. Let me get it fixed and i'll be back.
BTW this little blurb has taken me 5 minutes to post!!!
Excuse ? Absolutely NO!

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Narcosis said:
Still waiting for your response to my last post, but instead you came back with your "default" response.

If you do take responsibility for what goes on in your country why don't you acknowledge it and not try to put spin on the subject at hand by flag waving and chest slapping like a good ole boy.

The mere fact you underestimate our ability to progress on our own by even underestimating the wealth of natural resources we posses, is proof that you can't see beyond your own propaganda.

I had stated in my post that we (Latin Americans) lack the will to group and work together and help each other become the sleeping giant that we are,(mea culpa), but you ignored that and came back with the same old political line that we are responsible for our own past.

If you really mean what you said about taking responsibility for what your country does why don't you admit to your country's role in the Latin American past/present? Instead you resort to saying we are US bashing, a very effective way to get the least intellectual members of this forum to jump-in and whistle dixie in your support.

NOTE: The terms, "YOU" and "YOUR" are rendered in the PLURAL for the sake of clarity and are NOT intended to be directed toward/at any single individual.

Well, partner, I was just taking a page out of your own book and to show you how you have been interpreted in the past!

That said, let's get down to the business of discussing the pro's and con's of dollarization for the DR.

You might be very surprised that I really don't support such a move at this time. It wold be entirely too expensive a proposition for this nearly bankrupt nation to take on. They, by your own admission, have the US$ reserves to make the transition in a manner that would be beneficial.

As to the effects of such a move, I really think that it would be primarily psychological since most of the products currently on the market are imports to begin with and are paid for in $US at the point of shipping; whether that originating point be Japan, Europe, USA or where ever. All these points of origin demand payment in dollars since it has become an (and in most cases the only) international medium of exchange. It is an economic convenience, nothing more, nothing less. Importers pay in US$ which are then converted by the recipients into their own currency or leave it to pay out(or collect) the balance of payments within the international marketplace.
And YES, the US is ONE of your trading partners, But not the ONLY ONE. The DR does a MASSIVE business with China, Taiwan and Japan! These are your MAJOR sources of Elictrical and Automotive products, NOT the US!
What trade reciprosities do you have with those nations, who, by the way, glean MOST of your dollars into their coffers, judging by the trade names/marks that I see in the Supermercados, Ferriterias, etc in Santiago and Santo Domingo.
Although I haven't read the proposed Free Trade Agreement which is being touted by the US, I have absolutely no doubt that the US negotiated from a position of strength and in those areas which they were most desirous of fulfilling to their advantage. You would do the same in their shoes. Maybe your negotiators caved in too soon, I have no way of knowing since I wasn't there.
Your(plural) idea of there being a Latin American Community, modeled after the European Union, is a good one and very well may be the solution to the many economic problems that have, and will continue to beset the arena. But, when you speak of loss of sovergnty, that would be one of the results of such a union and I'm not sure that Latin Americans (like the Southern US Americans in the US of Civil War times and subsequent) would give up their nationalistic feelings in order to form such a union. Europe worked on that problem for decades before arriving at a consensus.
Regarding the FTA and the subsidies furnished to the American farmers. Those subsidies have been a fact of life and survival to the farmer since the 1930's when they were first promulgated. Those subsidies have allowed the farmer to conduct extensive crop and land improvements, thereby creating larger productions on fewer acres, creating a better quality product, effecting desease resistant fruits and vegetables; I could go on and on. But the overall effect has been seen and passed on to those who wish to take advantage of the progressive methods thus evolved.
For the most part, the vegetables in this area can't compete with similar US products because the quality isn't up to US grading standards of form, size, nutritional content and being desease free. Your melons, cocao, and the like being a few of the exceptions. Your oranges and other citrus products would be graded as "juicers" only due to the unclean appearance of skin rust alone.
NOT that they are any less sweet and juicy, but by visual condition. Celery doesn't have the thick, white fullness that is the standard in the US, but has a very thin and underdeveloped stalk. All this explanation is not intended as denigration, but instead, in explanation of why your produce would not be accepted on the US market. Thus, the argument of subsidies is irrelevant by definition. I hope you both see and accept that point.
The allusion to subsidising the Air carriers (more correctly, the US Flag Carriers) is not a very good analogy in the face of the numerous carriers that have retired from the scene over the years. Initially the US Postal guaranteed that a carrier of mail over certain routes would break even, but not any more. That the US offers monetary incentives to those Flag Carriers today is not debated by me. I don't entirely agree with the methodology nor the philosophy. Only the fact that the American Public DEMANDS that such convenient transportation facilities be "supported" by the "guvment" is an arguable scenario. My comment is, 'let them sink or swim by their own efforts".
However, since all European and Asiatic nations which have Flag Carriers in competition offer subsidies to those carriers, it becomes a "fact of life" and can't be dealt with at my level except through protestations to my congressman. I stand mute on the subject as herein discussed.
As to the IMF, World Bank, and other lending institutions, I have this to say.
These are institutions who have outlived their usefulness since they have abrogated, essentially, their original mandate. They have taken on a cloak of holding out a bone to a hungry dog, then demanding the dog come back for more later on when that bone proved to be insufficient to it's needs. They don't demand that the funds lent be used for a specific purpose, nor ask why the loan is necessary to begin with. They don't act responsibly in the light of irresponsible fiscal policies of the borrowing nation. In my estimation, that is fraudulent lending. No other comment.
Your right! I keep saying, "Get your own house in order before you attempt to tear down mine". I mean that with all my being.

In a Democracy, it is our responsibility to act as watchdogs over the government we elect to assure ourselves that that government is acting in our best interests. To lazily lay around and let your country go to the dogs is absolutely unforgivable. And that is what has happened. I'm sorry if that hurts and is offensive, but there it is. No amount of fruitless rationalization will change the fact, whatever the cause.
The policies of your government AND mine can be changed. We, in the US, are constantly protesting government actions/policies of one form or another and eventually those actions/policies will be changed. At least, we're taking those actions incumbent upon us as citizens and that is what it takes to keep any government in line with what it's citizens want. That's Democracy.

In a way, I feel that I'm preaching to the choir, because I know we all have the same goals, ideals and basic beliefs. It's just that we may, at times, focus on the external instead of the internal.

Texas Bill