Dominican American

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
This from the fella that said "Puerto Rican culture is as big if not bigger" hahahahahahahaha

Just be patient with him, sometimes he just doesn't take his meds.

He always jumps at the opportunity to put DR or Dominicans down and now
calls out the Boricuans that praise the country or go out with Dominican women,
when he himself admits having married a Dominican and having a child.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Different histories, different migration patterns from different parts of the world, different culture, different levels of education for the average person. So different you could tell them apart easily.

"When I'm in Puerto Rico I feel like I'm in the DR" is a comment that can only be based on willful ignorance.

First of all, if you've ever flown from PR to DR you could tell the difference right from the plane-in Puerto Rico, you don't see stretches of land that are totally unlit because of the apagones like in the DR. That should be your first clue.

If both countries seem the same to you it's because you need to be educated on the differences.

I can't believe that electricity is what you can refer to in order to highlight my "willful ignorance" and "lack of education" on Puerto Rican/Dominican culture differences.
I'm even more puzzled that you are a moderator. I thought you needed some skills and common sense to be one.

You also think you can tell me how I feel or how I am supposed to feel when I'm in PR. Do I need your permission to feel at home there? LOL

You don't even know what you're talking about and yet think you are entitled to tell people how they are supposed to feel. THAT is ignorance indeed.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This may set another cat amongst the pigeons here but a Puerto Rican friend who visited the DR said, as we were driving through the Cibao and up to the Saman? peninsula - "this is what Puerto Rico must have been like 40 or 50 years ago".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This may set another cat amongst the pigeons here but a Puerto Rican friend who visited the DR said, as we were driving through the Cibao and up to the Saman? peninsula - "this is what Puerto Rico must have been like 40 or 50 years ago".
40, 50 or 60 years ago the DR and PR looked more the same. Even the DR was not as it is now, it was much poorer, less populated and the population was more rural. Even entire towns looked different; for example, Hig?ey was tiny compared to now, composed mostly of wooden homes with thatch roofs and dirt floors, and most of the population was white, according to an account by a Spanish immigrant that arrived in the early 1940s.

It was pretty much the same in PR, but since then they did what the DR is, in part, doing now.

Fast economic growth (like the DR), massive foreign investment (like the DR), control of immigration (unlike the DR), massive emigration (more or less like the DR), unorthodox birth control practices (not like the DR).

50 years later, PR is considerably wealthier and more developed than it was and compared to most Latin American countries.

As for the unorthodox birth control practices, with that I'm referring to the forced sterilization of many women (mostly poor, mulatto and black) without their consent or knowledge among other things. This is also part of the reason (the other is that most of the people that were forced to emigrate tended to be darker) why the Puerto Rican population went through a whitening process during much of the 20th century.

Certainly, practices such as those, as effective as they are at controlling fast population growth and ensuring per capita wealth to increase rapidly, vastly improving living conditions in a very short period of time; are simply not an option in this day and age of supranational organizations, NGO's, Human Right commissions, etc.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I can't believe that electricity is what you can refer to in order to highlight my "willful ignorance" and "lack of education" on Puerto Rican/Dominican culture differences.

What I highlighted was something that anyone looking out the window of an airplane flying between the two countries would see.

I can only assume if this is something you've never noticed, then it's no wonder you can't tell the difference between salsa and merengue, or Puerto Rican and Dominican cuisine, which constitutes more than just rice and beans.

I'm even more puzzled that you are a moderator. I thought you needed some skills and common sense to be one.

My intellect is dreived from reading books and actually traveling, and the DR isn't the only place I go to.

You also think you can tell me how I feel or how I am supposed to feel when I'm in PR. Do I need your permission to feel at home there? LOL

No, you just need to adjust your intellectual level if you're going to make statements that are false and can only defend them by getting emotional and name-calling.

You don't even know what you're talking about and yet think you are entitled to tell people how they are supposed to feel. THAT is ignorance indeed.

No, ignorance is not being able to tell the difference between two very distinct and unique cultures. Or, thinking they are the same because the pee smells the same in Plaza de Diego as it does in the Colonial Zone. Such a low-brow insight gives me every right to correct you.

You remind me of this person right here, who despite sitting with high-society folks acts as if he's still in a trailer park-

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hawQ5wobi1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
berzin;
i dont think that there are very distinct OR unique cultures at all, very similar i would say.
They started as colonias de espana, with identical beginnings and similar people, later on different set of events took place, in 1892 Puerto Rico was invaded and never let free again..d.r. was invaded but resume with "some" independence.
I can tell a mile away..but to the untrained eye not as easy to tell.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
"What I highlighted was something that anyone looking out the window of an airplane flying between the two countries would see."

Guess I didn’t notice because my yola was too uncomfortable.

"I can only assume if this is something you've never noticed, then it's no wonder you can't tell the difference between salsa and merengue, or Puerto Rican and Dominican cuisine, which constitutes more than just rice and beans."

Can you actually read? If you had read my post properly you’d see I never state that both countries are EXACTLY THE SAME.
My point is that both countries are too similar to have such rivalry and as for someone to state that one culture is BETTER OR BIGGER THAN the other. That is all BS!
Nowhere do I state that Merengue and Salsa are the same thing or that I can’t tell them apart. But yes, they are very Similar.
No matter how you want to make it look like there are such humongous differences, both countries share a similar culture, history, food, weather and vegetation and people.
Can you really say that the differences between the DR and PR is as strong as they are when we compare each country alone to some others in Latin American like Argentina or Mexico?
I thought you would educate me with such ABYSMAL differences on culture, history, food, weather, religion, race and vegetation that will make your point , but the only thing you can talk to is electricity.

"My intellect is dreived from reading books and actually traveling, and the DR isn't the only place I go to. "

You mean Derived, right?
A real intellectual doesn’t point out that their intellect is superior or brags that they are well traveled. That is what intellectual wannabes do. If you are used to something, it comes natural to you and you don’t actually give too much thought on thinking that you are special and even worse, you don’t tell people what you are because people can tell for themselves.

"No, you just need to adjust your intellectual level if you're going to make statements that are false and can only defend them by getting emotional and name-calling. "

Does an intellectual get all emotional and resort to name calling? I don’t think so! Why don't you show me the mistakes? Because you can't!

"No, ignorance is not being able to tell the difference between two very distinct and unique cultures. Or, thinking they are the same because the pee smells the same in Plaza de Diego as it does in the Colonial Zone. Such a low-brow insight gives me every right to correct you."

Very different and unique cultures that share similarities.
As for the Pee reference. It’s just a colorful way to say that **** happens in both places. That is a great point!

"You remind me of this person right here, who despite sitting with high-society folks acts as if he's still in a trailer park"-

Hmm, this is actually what is happening to you!

Remember, only a dumb and hateful person can turn a message of peace into negativity!

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Where in the HELL was Dominicans and Mexicans when Blacks and Puerto Ricans were FIGHTING for injustice back in the day? Dominicans are not the same or even close to the mindset of Puerto Ricans. My father from Ponce always said Dominicans and Mexicans are GOOD people but you can't COUNT on them regarding anything that deals with " Civil Rights" the only group that would stand side by side with Puerto Ricans are African Americans. This is 2000% correct because I have witnessed it and was a part of it.

Dominicans do not see the BIG picture in many cases. Gringobacahta7 stated Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and African American are similar which is NOT the case, history has proven that. I know MANY MANY Dominicans that look down on African American people but Puerto Ricans almost NEVER do, because they know what went down in 60's 70's and 80's because we faught TOGETHER while the Mexicans and Dominicans waited until the coast was clear before they raised their flag.

Okay if we are so similar, what do you think would have happened if African Americans and Puerto Ricans would have allowed Dominicans and Mexicans do take the lead in the Civil Rights Movement? I will tell you the white government, white people, and the white police would have STEAM ROLLED right over Dominicans and Mexicans.

It is 10 times MORE Mexicans in the US then Puerto Ricans, but who was the first latin Supreme Court Justice? I love Obama for appointing her. African Americans and Puerto Ricans have an unspoken bond that is very hard to explain more so then Dominicans. Sure Puerto Ricans and Dominicans share a lot in common Spanish, food, music, religion etc. but the intangibles like HEART, SOUL, SPIRIT, and thriving for SUCCESS I see common ground only with African Americans.

Go to any home and ask the occupants have they heard of Puerto Ricans and 99.9% will say " HELL YEAH,CLARO, THOSE MY PEEPS, YES I KNOW A FEW, Dominicans can't say that because a lot of people do not know anything or heard of Dominicans. Never hearing of a BORICUA SHHHHHH*****TTTTTT

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
It's "did not exist".

You seem like an a bright person, so allow to give you just a little, tiny advice. You look very SHALLOW when you correct an adult regarding grammer or misspelled words. Okay you are a smart person, but when you recieved that B.A. from Notre Dame that should have been enough. Grammer and knowing how to spell words have little to do with man's level of intelligence.

BTW My child mother is a RN and her first language is Spanish being from Aguascalientes 4yrs in college, almost 2 yrs nursing school and to this day she still says " we need to buy more "FISHES"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where in the HELL was Dominicans and Mexicans when Blacks and Puerto Ricans were FIGHTING for injustice back in the day? Dominicans are not the same or even close to the mindset of Puerto Ricans. My father from Ponce always said Dominicans and Mexicans are GOOD people but you can't COUNT on them regarding anything that deals with " Civil Rights" the only group that would stand side by side with Puerto Ricans are African Americans. This is 2000% correct because I have witnessed it and was a part of it.

Dominicans do not see the BIG picture in many cases. Gringobacahta7 stated Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and African American are similar which is NOT the case, history has proven that. I know MANY MANY Dominicans that look down on African American people but Puerto Ricans almost NEVER do, because they know what went down in 60's 70's and 80's because we faught TOGETHER while the Mexicans and Dominicans waited until the coast was clear before they raised their flag.

Okay if we are so similar, what do you think would have happened if African Americans and Puerto Ricans would have allowed Dominicans and Mexicans do take the lead in the Civil Rights Movement? I will tell you the white government, white people, and the white police would have STEAM ROLLED right over Dominicans and Mexicans.

It is 10 times MORE Mexicans in the US then Puerto Ricans, but who was the first latin Supreme Court Justice? I love Obama for appointing her. African Americans and Puerto Ricans have an unspoken bond that is very hard to explain more so then Dominicans. Sure Puerto Ricans and Dominicans share a lot in common Spanish, food, music, religion etc. but the intangibles like HEART, SOUL, SPIRIT, and thriving for SUCCESS I see common ground only with African Americans.

Go to any home and ask the occupants have they heard of Puerto Ricans and 99.9% will say " HELL YEAH,CLARO, THOSE MY PEEPS, YES I KNOW A FEW, Dominicans can't say that because a lot of people do not know anything or heard of Dominicans. Never hearing of a BORICUA SHHHHHH*****TTTTTT

Chicano! A History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement. You are entitled to your opinion but Mexican Americans , especially in Texas and California have been involved in civil rights movements for 200 years.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Chicano! A History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement. You are entitled to your opinion but Mexican Americans , especially in Texas and California have been involved in civil rights movements for 200 years.
Good Old Bob, Read where I wrote they do not see the BIG picture. Look at the title "the MEXICAN American Civil Rights Movement. Ours was called the Civil Rights Movement for ALL people. It is a reason why it was mainly in these two states, and you know the reason, but this was the only thing worth while you could come up with on your search engine. Do you think America cared about this? Do you think the government lost sleep over this? Do you think Part 3 taking back the schools even come close to the "Little Rock Nine"?

Bob the US Government did not care about Mexicans back then, and do care about Mexicans today. Okay Bob answer me this, how did AA, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Jamacians, Koreans etc benefit from this movement.

Instead of sending this to JMB773 I think you need to send it to Arizona I don't think they got the memo. In 2012 they stop Mexicans on the street and ask to see ID, and if they refuse the bracelets come out.

BTW I could be wrong ,but I do not think Cesar Chavez was ever assassinated.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Aguaita29-you can believe what you want and argue with yourself all you want. I don't need to educate you on anything. Your ignorance is not my burden, it's yours.

I happen to have the good fortune of living in NYC and have access to one of the best library systems in the world. I also have friends who are professors in the best universities in NYC and Boston.

If I don't know something, I know where to go to to get the answers. Go to your local university and ask a professor of Caribbean/Latin American Studies and tell them the same crap you're talking about here. They'll set you straight, but I doubt you have the intellectual curiosity to challenge your own ignorant views. Critical thinking involves challenging pre-conceived notions and ideas so you learn something. But I know expanding on one's thought process is an anathema on the internet, and you're no exception.

I'm not interested in an overly emotional tit-for-tat with someone who isn't up to holding a conversation because it challenges their facile and trite prejudices. Keep on with whatever it is you think. It doesn't matter to me one bit.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You seem like an a bright person, so allow to give you just a little, tiny advice. You look very SHALLOW when you correct an adult regarding grammer or misspelled words. Okay you are a smart person, but when you recieved that B.A. from Notre Dame that should have been enough. Grammer and knowing how to spell words have little to do with man's level of intelligence.

BTW My child mother is a RN and her first language is Spanish being from Aguascalientes 4yrs in college, almost 2 yrs nursing school and to this day she still says " we need to buy more "FISHES"

Dude, I've seen your posts about watches on another thread. You say you respect a man with an expensive watch and then come here to preach me and tell me how shallow I sound. Really????

By the way, it's "Grammar" not "Grammer".

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Aguaita29-you can believe what you want and argue with yourself all you want. I don't need to educate you on anything. Your ignorance is not my burden, it's yours.

I happen to have the good fortune of living in NYC and have access to one of the best library systems in the world. I also have friends who are professors in the best universities in NYC and Boston.

If I don't know something, I know where to go to to get the answers. Go to your local university and ask a professor of Caribbean/Latin American Studies and tell them the same crap you're talking about here. They'll set you straight, but I doubt you have the intellectual curiosity to challenge your own ignorant views. Critical thinking involves challenging pre-conceived notions and ideas so you learn something. But I know expanding on one's thought process is an anathema on the internet, and you're no exception.

I'm not interested in an overly emotional tit-for-tat with someone who isn't up to holding a conversation because it challenges their facile and trite prejudices. Keep on with whatever it is you think. It doesn't matter to me one bit.

Okay, you're a rocket scientist! Happy now?

Dec 26, 2011
Dude, I've seen your posts about watches on another thread. You say you respect a man with an expensive watch and then come here to preach me and tell me how shallow I sound. Really????

By the way, it's "Grammar" not "Grammer".

It may seem petty to correct grammar end spelling and everyone is capable of the occasional typo, but for people that do a lot of reading, writing sprinkled with errors is painful to comb through and hard to take seriously. That's just the way it is.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
It may seem petty to correct grammar end spelling and everyone is capable of the occasional typo, but for people that do a lot of reading, writing sprinkled with errors is painful to comb through and hard to take seriously. That's just the way it is.
Yes I would understand if we were writing an ESSAY or a THESIS DR1 is a informal or a casual community. Look how she fell for the word "GRAMMER" and I knew she would. You stated it is painful to read with a lot of grammatical errors, if you ever have time I would like you to read a book by a famous author Zora Neale Hurston" Their Eyes Were Watching God" GREAT BOOK.

I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I will tell you this Augaita29 will NEVER be an author like Zora Neale Hurston. It is not just her MANY authors use BROKEN ENGLISH in their novels.

BTW The HiP Hop world is a BILLION dollar industry created on BROKEN ENGLISH, so it can't be all that bad.

Dec 26, 2011
Yes I would understand if we were writing an ESSAY or a THESIS DR1 is a informal or a casual community. Look how she fell for the word "GRAMMER" and I knew she would. You stated it is painful to read with a lot of grammatical errors, if you ever have time I would like you to read a book by a famous author Zora Neale Hurston" Their Eyes Were Watching God" GREAT BOOK.

I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I will tell you this Augaita29 will NEVER be an author like Zora Neale Hurston. It is not just her MANY authors use BROKEN ENGLISH in their novels.

BTW The HiP Hop world is a BILLION dollar industry created on BROKEN ENGLISH, so it can't be all that bad.

LOL...Yes! Let's all proudly set our aim at the lowest common denominator. You're a trip, bro. Next you'll be claiming that Justin Bieber's talented because people pay money to see him.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
LOL...Yes! Let's all proudly set our aim at the lowest common denominator. You're a trip, bro. Next you'll be claiming that Justin Bieber's talented because people pay money to see him.

Justin Bieber is an ENTERTAINER this is his occupation, and by the look of his BANK ACCOUNT he is very GOOD at his job. If you think Justin is NOT talented, try to puchase tickets for one of his concerts.

No need to find a COMMON denominator, CREATE your own. Why would anybody want to find a common denominator with another.

BTW I will live you with a great quote from the man known as TIP" I'm the OPPOSITE of MODERATE"