Dominican Players

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
But the real truth is........

That as much as we try to glorify "team" winning, team players and winning championships, the reality is that sports are dominated by individual statistics.

I, for instance, confess that I could care less if my team wins as long as my favorite players excel. I believe, deep down, most people feel the same way. Otherwise, why so much concentration on individual player awards and fortune?

If winning is so important how come the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox are among the most popular teams in baseball and their cities? (here's a clue...take a look at their players. They always have a superstar)How come nobody went to see the Marlins when they were baseball champs? Why do they want to close down the Twins who are winners this year and have been to the World Series several times? I'll tell you why. They do not a have Sammy Sosa, a Pedro, a Manny Ramirez or a Barry Bonds who can draw fans. Teams do not draw fans. Players do!!

A recent poll resulted in the top five events in baseball history being individual achievements, not team achievements. The greatest event in baseball was Carl Ripkens consecutive games played record followed by events like the Battle of Home Runs by Sammy Sosa and McGwire, Nolan Ryan's seven no hitters, Hank Aaron's 755th. home run and others. Not one was a team effort.

If you ask in a worldwide poll about baseball's top 1000 most remembered events, statistics or facts, probably more than 90% will be individual. Unless you do research, how many people for instance can name the year and team that won the last 10 World Series. This could be as hard as winning the lottery. Yet, most baseball fans remember Babe Ruth's HR record, Who was Roger Maris, How many no hitters Nolan Ryan threw, Who was Mr. October for the Oakland A's, who is George Steinbrenner, etc...

TW

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
McInbrass, you are way out of gas. WINNERS is what we are talking about? Who wins more awards, and are at the top of all leaders in baseball? If you are saying that one Dominican man is responsible for his whole team, you're giving any given man way too much credit. One man cannot bat, pitch, catch, and field all at the same time. He needs a TEAM to help him....

You want me to name some winners? Okay, on top of Golo's list, how about:

Miguel Batista; Alfonso Soriano; Enrique Wilson; Jose Vizcaino (Saved that nail-biter 12-inning 1st game with a 2-out single in 2000; Armando Benitez; Timo Perez (your Mets team who made it in 2000); Quilvio Veras...should I go on, or would you like a little time to catch up on your baseball news?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
You talking like someone...

...who has no team , only players, and I understand that. Maybe if Santo Domingo had a team you would feel differently about winning. Those of us who follow teams care about only one thing winning. Individual statistics are nice for individuals but last time I checked Baseball was a team sport and the goal of the team should be first and foremost. Individual accomplishments come second. The individual accolades heaped on guys like Bonds, McGwire, Arod, Sosa dont hold a candle to The Yankees 26 team champoinships and what that has meant to the fans and the city for whom the Yankees play. That could be said for any city who has a champion. Players play for the fans, thats who pays the salaries. I bet if Arod, Sosa and the like played for the Santo Domingo Expos they would find a way to win.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Abolsultely, put all of the best Dominican players on a team, and they would win...you're cutting your nose off in spite of your face. You just proved our point. Fact is, the Dominicans in the league are the stars of the teams, without backup to help bring them to the playoffs. But they still shine in a big way anyways, don't they?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
at 39 years old when he retired, i can't think of a better example of a team player than:

tony fernandez

some background info for you... the blue jays organization, now 26 years old, has named 5 people to the level of excellence.

exclude gaston who was the manager; bell and fernandez are Dominican, carter and steib are American. pretty exceptional representation for the island , don't you think?

mob

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
name another nationality that has better representation...adjusted for population, name another nationality that has better representation... I thought so ... you can't...can you?.... now go back to your cave and start feeding that starving brain o' yours

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I believe that 25% or so of baseball players signing
professional contracts for the first time last year
were Dominican. As a nation, the DR is in the top 3.
Per capita it's probably #1.
If you look at being a Major League Baseball player as against the odds, anyone who dons a uniform is a winner.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Let's be serious now

Is anybody interested at all in these playoffs without the Yankees, the Braves, the Red Sox, the A's and the real name teams?

I have yet to turn the TV on to see the boring Giants, Cardinals, Twins and ......the Annaheim WHO? I can't wait to see the ratings.
Can you imagine a West Coast series? Half of the USA and the 90 % of the world will be rather watching a cooking program.

This is what I mean by name players. If Soriano, Bernie, Jeter, Sosa,Randy and Schilling, ARod were playing people would be watching. But even Bonds and Pujols won't be able to wake up the fans from this sleep-fly boredom.

Is there a real power pitcher in the entire series? Can anyone name a pitcher? Did anybody hit 40 home runs or stole 40 bases? This will be known as the "anonymous series".

What a waste!! I rather watch the exhibition NBA game at Palacio de Los Deportes(sorry, just the cheerleaders).

TW

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Bonds is the straw...

...and possibly one of the five greatest players of all time. Seems like it's his turn this year. I find it riveting watching him play and a treat. He, as an example does all of the little things. Patient at the plate, runs bases extremely well and a gentleman as well. Good luck Barry.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Bonds is the straw...

Mcinbrass said:
...and possibly one of the five greatest players of all time. Seems like it's his turn this year. I find it riveting watching him play and a treat. He, as an example does all of the little things. Patient at the plate, runs bases extremely well and a gentleman as well. Good luck Barry.

This proves that this Mcinbrass guy is at best a fraud. You are right TonyC, Bonds is known by EVERYONE who knows baseball to be the most selfish, self-centered, fan unfriendly, player in the majors. His own teammates don't like him. On top of that, he has a horrible post season record. Do a simple google search on Bonds. This is what you will likely encounter:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/halberstam/010719.html

For the rest of the readers of this thread, don't listen to this guy. He is either clue-less or a fraud. Take your pick.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Somehow...

...i think you know in your heart it will never be Sosa, Guerrero, Martinez, or A-Rod stirring the drink in the World Series. The original theme of this thread was those players' inability to recognize and execute the little, subtle things that baseball requires of its players to be successful at the highest level. Not the macho number achieving, contract attaining things that certain types of fans admire. I admire winners, not nationals and certainly not contracts.

Secondly, I never insulted anyone in this forum. The fact that you have insulted me says more about the kind of man you are than it does of me. The proof you supplied regarding Bonds being a non-gentleman was from a member of the press. Don't believe evreything you read.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Some people...

...want to talk about baseball, others want to talk about lovemaking and kissing and all that stuff. Some people want to be sankied others want to sankie. It's all their own perogative. Live and let live.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I lived in Boston for 25 miserable years!!!!!!

Despite what "Golo" said about people wanting to see individual records,I would much rather have seen the Redsox win a World Series,than all of Carl Yazstremski,Wade Boggs,Jimmy Rice,Freddy Lynn,or Luis "Et Tiante's records any day! A Home Run Record,or a Cy Young award do nothing for the "Moral" of a Town,but a Hometown World Series and the whole place goes wild! No Sir! its the TEAM that matters!( Death to Bill Buckner,& to "Fucky" Dent!!!!!!)CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Musicqueen said:
Rob...the boys are fighting again!!!

Isn't it time to close this useless post?
:bandit:
But Mama he was being mean to the boys first and they promised to fight fair

S

SDecatur

It seems there is a great amount of "Nationalism" and prejudice on this forum?

There a lot of great Dominican Baseball players, there are a lot of Great Afro Americans Basketball players, there are world Class Kenyan sprinters and distance runners, great Canadian, European and American Hockey players, great Afro American and White Americans (I'm not discriminating, just differentiating so someone does not accuse me of such) in the NFL, but what is the point?

You could argue that the DR has a disproportionate number of base Ball players, thanks to a great system of practicing from age 4. Look at the NFL, almost all of the great "skill" players come from Florida schools who start at 6 years old. the best backers and lineman come from corn fed mid westerners etc.

How many Marathon runners come from places other than Ethiopia or Kenya?

What's the difference, they are all a product of a lifetime of practice, at least the large percentage are.