Dominican Prison - OOh - no thanks ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
i have done some casual reading on the subject, and the opinions lean to the conclusion that such systems keep poor people in jail, even if innocent, because they cannot make bail.

I agree. One should also take into consideration those who can easily afford bail, more often
than not, can also easily afford to flee.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree. One should also take into consideration those who can easily afford bail, more often
than not, can also easily afford to flee.

absolutely insightful observation!!! they are the ones who can probably pay someone to spirit them off to Costa Rica on his private plane.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The second time I went jail here I deserved it. Had I been in the states it
would have been a long drawn out expensive ordeal. However, beauty of
living here, spent about 8 hours in a cell and was released the next morning
with a warning to keep hands to myself. Now when those same officers
who arrested me in my neighborhood see me around La Joya they joking
tell the people "that gringo" dont take sh*t from nobody.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
absolutely insightful observation!!! they are the ones who can probably pay someone to spirit them off to Costa Rica on his private plane.
Having been in jail in Costa Rica for assault ( I broke up a two guysg-on-one beat down. Turns out it was two Ticos savagely pummeling a little Nicaraguan dudr. Anyway I managed to knock out one of the Costa Rican thieves while the other ran to the cops. I can tell you the cops sided with the Ticos at the time, not the foreigners.
In jail two days but was released without charges after the cops realized the one I hit was a well known criminal and I was probably justified. They actually apologized.
But jails there aren't much better than here even if you have some cash to pay. I was in a cell with about 20 others, Fortunately anout half of them were Nicaraguans and after they heard the story no one hassled me.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Overcrowded jails and indiscriminate arrests on trumped up charges is the norm for third world countries.
Question : " Is one guilty until proven innocent, or innocent until proven guilty''?

It makes a difference in the ''trail to cells'',

But the photo gives me ''heebie geebies''.

Russell

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
someone correct me if Im wrong but seem to remember here in the DR its guilty until proven innocent

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You are aware that the typical Dominican believes that criminals are released too soon, often times without doing time, right?

Plenty of people complaining that the police arrests many criminals on one day, only for the residents to see the criminal walking free through the very spot he was arrested the day before.

Now you want to make it even more evident to the average Dominican by releasing an even greater number of criminals to the streets.

This is what's fueling the neighborhood lynchings of criminals, people are tired of the police arresting them and the judge releasing them the day after.

Even here on DR1 there are threads where expats themselves are expressing their displeasure of seeing well known criminals released too soon in their communities.

Well there's that too. The so called criminal justice system here can be exploited in so many ways.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/las-carceles-explotan-por-hacinamiento-de-reclusos/

I wonder how Frankie Fixit is doing in the 1st year of his 30 for his murder ? The beach is fine Frankie. :cool:
Geraldine too !

I think this picture should be posted in all schools, churches, youth gathering zones and at each airport.
Probably a 8ft x 16 ft print would get the message across... maybe even one of those big billboards used by the beer companies.

On the other hand all those in prison are not necessarily guilty.... they have been under suspicion!

In Canada we have incarcerated many people for violent crimes who 25-30 years alter were proven innocent thanks to DNA evidence.
We , when under capital punishment law, have hanged several innocent persons ; not a proud legacy for my Native Land.

In RD I am of the opinion that far too many innocents will meet the gallows considering the corrupt legal system... so Capital punishment is not the cure-all for crimes.

I better shut up before I find myself in the 'slammer' for doubting the Government sincerity on 'Crime and Punishment'.
Have a nice day.
Russell

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
firstly yes ,there are defending lawyers for the poor ..However sometimes ,when there is a deferral in the case or more than one deferral, the defence lawyer representing the poor accused may change every time. Yes Gorgon, I agree with you entirely , and as far as the comments from NAL, they are just too naive.To think that accused people should be judged by the neighbourhood without the proper procedures of presenting evidence and testing that evidence is worse than what happened in the French revolution . Maybe she ,I assume NAL is a she ,could start a thread on why accused people are released too early in the opinion of DR1 readers or why public opinion should be more important than evidence tendered in court. The fact that police accuse innocent people of a crime is equally well known .
The criminal law system in the DR is desperately in need of an overhaul

NALS is NOT a she, he's a male Dominican. This is the 3rd or 4th guy you've 'accused' of being a woman, even Bronxboy, who, by his name, identifies he's male.

So, is it that anyone who has a differing opinion from yours must be female?????

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The thread was undermined by NAL who suggested capital punishment as a way of reducing crowding in the prisons ..As the prisons have more 10 000 prisoners over capacity , those proposed executions should put the DR very much in the news. Of course conditions are horrific for most people in the prisons ..it is impossible to deny that ...but many should not be there .

"but many should not be there? based on what exactly did you come to this conclusion?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Alter Ego ..if you looked at my postings you would see it was not the third and not the fourth time but the second time i have suggested a moderator is a woman ..so is it correct that two errors make four errors in your eyes .?
Gary expat ...how can anyone tell how many should not be there when about 85% have not had a judgement made against them .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Russell some months ago the government said quite clearly that the law that was in place in France years ago that a person is guilty until proved innocent was definitely not the law in the DR ...nor is it now in France. What may have led you to think that way is that many accused people are given a preventative sentence of 3 months to a year so that the fiscal can produce a case against the accused , and that suggests that the person is guilty and of course it is very difficult to prepare a defence when you are locked up . let me give you an example some six years or more ago. My house was robbed and the police said that they knew the two men who robbed the house but they could not produce one . So the man they had, who was quite innocent as it turned out , was given a preventative sentence of 3 months that went to over a year. meanwhile I had personally found out that the real the thief was from my gym and had done the robbery with the help of two policemen.When I offered the police a reward for the return of my property I had everything in 48 hours ..The poor innocent man stayed in prison.
Let me give you another example .. There was a prostitute originally from Santiago and then from San Pedro and then from la Romana who accused young men in each of those cities of having sex with her underaged daughter, also a prostitute .When the young men,quite innocent, would not pay the money to the woman she reported them to the police and they were all given preventative sentences.the police and the fiscal knew the pattern of perjury by the mother but were waiting to receive their cut from the eventual payment of the blackmail money . There was absolutely no case against any of the three boys . I have other examples . For poor people who do not have nearly enough money to avoid the bail provisions by leaving the country, it is cruel, unfair and sinful to not have these people on bail. Even with delinquents with pistols , a case has to be presented and the evidence tested...mere suspicion is not enough..except in this country.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Let me examine the statement from Alter Ego more closely . I assumed in two cases that a moderator was a female and used the word assume ...Alter Ego has deliberately changed the word to accused which has an entirely different meaning ..I could have used he/she but the simple word assume is very inoffensive and is easy to refute . Do not wish to comment any more on this ...more than happy to debate on the problem of overcrowding in the Dominican prisons in a responsible way .

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Alter Ego ..if you looked at my postings you would see it was not the third and not the fourth time but the second time i have suggested a moderator is a woman ..so is it correct that two errors make four errors in your eyes .?
Gary expat ...how can anyone tell how many should not be there when about 85% have not had a judgement made against them .

First you claim many should not be there and now you say how can ANYONE tell how many should not be there because they have not had a judgement against them. Don't you fall into the anyone? so your original claim is unsubstantiated. Just because official charges have not been brought does in no way mean they are innocent. I won't dispute that in the D.R. and in every country there are some innocents behind bars, of course ask them and the large majority claim innocence.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I have a level of confidence in the Dominican judicial system just like the U.S system. 99% of the lizards that are there belong there. There are too many other people that need legitimate help (physically and mentally challenged) to worry about a pack of marauding thieves and robbers.