Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
i feel obliged to respond to this one, now , maybe you have never been insulted , harrased , made fun of,even attacked for showing pride in for being what you are by another hispanic group , probably most PRs dont , but most Dominicans (at least the ones in the tri-state area) do , so that is something you have to keep in mind when you read some of the posts . Also , you have to understand that PRs do have a superiority complex when it comes to Dominicans ,especially when they are the majority , now dont get me wrong i ve had plenty of great expeiriences with PRs and know that there are more good PRs than bad . You just have to look at it from our point of view, a people not too differant from us but tryin to put us down when we try to shine , and the problem is that PRs are the only ones we get this from (depending on where you live).i know this , I LIVED THIS !!!!!! , and still do to some extent. however , im not one to place all PRs in this category and i dont , its like you said "the rotten apples"
As a matter of fact my friend I have been insulted,made fun of and attacked bu another hispanic Group I must tell you that my First visit to DOminican Republic did not leave the greatest impression on me we were going to stay in La Romana and while we were in the bus( it was a big group big family what can I say) we stopped for some presidentes for the guys and while we were parked all I saw was a bunch of people giving me the finger for no reason whatsoever calling us "Puercorriquenos" Y Sin Bandera. However this did not scar me, i went back and I have grown to love the culture of DR and its people.My friend you might believe that Puerto Ricans are not attacked but we are more constantly attacked by other hispanic groups than the average because we are related to the US because they question our Culture because they believe we should ashamed of not having a nation to call our own. and of course of having benefits that other hispanics don't. You know we are contanstly trying to defend our culture yes and we do have a rich culture (new geration is not doing to well to represent but its very alive still) just like you guys do. We feel pride in being who we are in our language and traditions and that at least for me is what is important. Now regarding the comment of:
"you have to understand that PRs do have a superiority complex" I dont at least, so your statement would be false giving that by saying Puerton RIcanS DO have a superiority complex you are implying that all of us do, which is completely untrue. There might be some, but let's get rid of these generalized steryotypes it is not the overwhelming majority its more so majority of ignorant people. By making statements like this we are forever creating stigmas and esteryotypes onall kinds of people. Oh dear and I dont beleive PRs are the only ones talking about Dominicans i have heard plenty of cubans and mexicans doing so, therefore we can conclude that no race is free of guilt when it comes to prejudice,racism and critizism I have heard it from everyone about anyone...I dont know about you guys..but I believe it's very true.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Fuego,
While I respect your opinion you are speaking from your own experience. The irony is that from my perspective I have only receive such negative treatment from Dominicans themselves...so go figure. PRs for the most part have shown me nothing but love. It's my own people I worry about the most.

On the whole I am with Lesley on this one.
D

FuegoAzul21 said:
You just have to look at it from our point of view, a people not too differant from us but tryin to put us down when we try to shine , and the problem is that PRs are the only ones we get this from (depending on where you live).i know this , I LIVED THIS !!!!!! , and still do to some extent. however , im not one to place all PRs in this category and i dont , its like you said "the rotten apples"

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
DarkDreamer said:
As a matter of fact my friend I have been insulted,made fun of and attacked bu another hispanic Group I must tell you that my First visit to DOminican Republic did not leave the greatest impression on me we were going to stay in La Romana and while we were in the bus( it was a big group big family what can I say) we stopped for some presidentes for the guys and while we were parked all I saw was a bunch of people giving me the finger for no reason whatsoever calling us "Puercorriquenos" Y Sin Bandera. However this did not scar me, i went back and I have grown to love the culture of DR and its people.My friend you might believe that Puerto Ricans are not attacked but we are more constantly attacked by other hispanic groups than the average because we are related to the US because they question our Culture because they believe we should ashamed of not having a nation to call our own. and of course of having benefits that other hispanics don't. You know we are contanstly trying to defend our culture yes and we do have a rich culture (new geration is not doing to well to represent but its very alive still) just like you guys do. We feel pride in being who we are in our language and traditions and that at least for me is what is important. Now regarding the comment of:
"you have to understand that PRs do have a superiority complex" I dont at least, so your statement would be false giving that by saying Puerton RIcanS DO have a superiority complex you are implying that all of us do, which is completely untrue. There might be some, but let's get rid of these generalized steryotypes it is not the overwhelming majority its more so majority of ignorant people. By making statements like this we are forever creating stigmas and esteryotypes onall kinds of people. Oh dear and I dont beleive PRs are the only ones talking about Dominicans i have heard plenty of cubans and mexicans doing so, therefore we can conclude that no race is free of guilt when it comes to prejudice,racism and critizism I have heard it from everyone about anyone...I dont know about you guys..but I believe it's very true.

i do agree with you but as a person who has raised in the states (NJ) this is what i have encountered and i say again I DO NOT BELEIVE MOST PRs ARE LIKE THIS , of course ive gotten it from other groups , but its never been as harsh and as intense as its been from PRs ,thats one of the things im trying to point out .Dominicans are guilty of this too ,but not as extreme about it like PRS( ive seen it get extreme), and you also forgot that , i said that i have noticed it dying down considerably in the last 5 years , all this im talkin about is when i was a little kid and an early teen , since then i ve havent seen it too much (probably because there are alot of other hispanics now in the area) and i feel Dominicans have earned considerable respect compared to back in the day .so i dont want everybody on this forum thinking that i hate prs , have a grugde against them, or resent them ,because i dont .I ve had plenty of PR friends ,girlfriends, teamates, even some family members ,that i have great relations with. I was tryin to show people how i feel about how the situation used to be and maybe in some places of the usa ( i dont know for sure,but there is a good chance),still is.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
deelt said:
Fuego,
While I respect your opinion you are speaking from your own experience. The irony is that from my perspective I have only receive such negative treatment from Dominicans themselves...so go figure. PRs for the most part have shown me nothing but love. It's my own people I worry about the most.

On the whole I am with Lesley on this one.
D

were you raised in the usa ? , you ever lived in a PR neighborhood( i havent but im askin you)and went to school there? if so , and you say that you have recieved nothing but love ,i must say ,u r a rare case ,but not an impossible one.Another thing i forgot to mention that if ur are a Dark skinned Dominican , the insults and humiliation come more frequent because you fit the stereotype of Dominicans , which is what the people hate , so the hate is directed toward you , If your a light skinned Dominican you will not encounter it as much (from my expeiriences) , also , PRs from the island tend to be less ignorant then the ones from the states , i assuming you ve delt with older more educated people so the ignorance probably wasnt all there.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Hey Kami,

I don't know if this helps or not, but Lesley mentioned something earlier which made sense to me. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have so much in common that they try to differentiate themselves. I was born in India and its the same thing in India vs. Pakistan. I have many friends who are Pakistanis. Our language, food, culture is almost the same; there are some differences due to religion but that's about it. One on One people get along, but the group (maybe mob) mentality is different. Maybe your paper should include many different nations and not just PR and DR??

kami

Dec 6, 2004
DarkDreamer said:
:cr

Ok Kami I am going to be very honest... but you cannot expect an unbiased response in a board that belongs to only one of the ethnicities mentioned. You came to a Dominican Republic board. do you trully beleive that if the ones holding the grudge were Dominicans(and im not saying they are) they flat out would admit it? no it's a pride thing. YOU cannot notice that the Puerto Ricans hold the grudge towards dominicans because Hello dear you only asked Dominicans if you trully are doing some type of research you should know by now that there are 2 variables in a research and both of them should be researched. You cannot conclude something out of the response of maybe 7 ppl.
Personally I believe that these grudges stem from personal experiences. Of course some Puerto Ricans don't like DOminicans some of them have had actually some low life DOminican that came in a yola marry their sister just for citizenship and then left her with 3 kids and ran off to NY...You know but must people generalize the Dominicans because of these bad experinces and don't realize that it was just a rotten apple that fell from the tree and that not all domincians are that way. Then you have the Puerto Rican who believes hes better than Dominicans and only lives off welfare and the Dominican has a bad experience with him and he generalizes all puerto ricans. It neverending cycle if u ask me and then one person tells the other and we end up with these generalized steryotypes from both part. I do not beleive there is one to blame they both are.

ps. I am my dear Puerto Rican and it actually amazes me some of the comments on this board. I know is not an overall majority of the DOminicans who make stupid comments about PR's but some posts I have read here are Highly disrespectful, but I got nothing but love for my brothers in DR. I have had my bad experiences with some but I know they are just like I said before rotten apples. Just like us PR's
okay i respect ur comment it's solely on your opinion and i agree... it is some, as you say, "rotten apples", and i am sorry if any of these posts offended you. i truely believe that a person's point of view stems from threir experiences. As for the research... i am not only basing my research based on this thread because i do know that it is a Dominican site. I also posted one on a Puerto Rican website if ya want you guys can go to it: www.PuertoRico.com... i know that i can not base my results on this itself because then it would not b fair to me or my research like you said there should be 2 variables and that is exactly what i am doing. i need both sides opinion right? all in all though thanx for your comment i really appreciated it... :glasses:

kami

Dec 6, 2004
i agree that no race is free from guilt. everyone has their own prejudices against another group. oh yea can you explain, if you don't mind, the whole thing about cubans and mexicans? did you mean they have a grudge on eachother or you overhear them speaking about dominicans?

DarkDreamer said:
As a matter of fact my friend I have been
insulted,made fun of and attacked bu another hispanic Group I must tell you that my First visit to DOminican Republic did not leave the greatest impression on me we were going to stay in La Romana and while we were in the bus( it was a big group big family what can I say) we stopped for some presidentes for the guys and while we were parked all I saw was a bunch of people giving me the finger for no reason whatsoever calling us "Puercorriquenos" Y Sin Bandera. However this did not scar me, i went back and I have grown to love the culture of DR and its people.My friend you might believe that Puerto Ricans are not attacked but we are more constantly attacked by other hispanic groups than the average because we are related to the US because they question our Culture because they believe we should ashamed of not having a nation to call our own. and of course of having benefits that other hispanics don't. You know we are contanstly trying to defend our culture yes and we do have a rich culture (new geration is not doing to well to represent but its very alive still) just like you guys do. We feel pride in being who we are in our language and traditions and that at least for me is what is important. Now regarding the comment of:

kami

Dec 6, 2004
sonny said:
Hey Kami,

I don't know if this helps or not, but Lesley mentioned something earlier which made sense to me. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have so much in common that they try to differentiate themselves. I was born in India and its the same thing in India vs. Pakistan. I have many friends who are Pakistanis. Our language, food, culture is almost the same; there are some differences due to religion but that's about it. One on One people get along, but the group (maybe mob) mentality is different. Maybe your paper should include many different nations and not just PR and DR??
i was trying to base it on a whole but my professor wants me to narrow it down to a specific topic. if i do base it on different nations then it would be a lengthy paper and i have to stick to his guidelines. i also do not want to be overwhelmed by all of the information that goes along with it... since i am both PR AND DR i decided to do it on this because i have seen this and experienced this myself. thank you for posting.

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
kami said:
i agree that no race is free from guilt. everyone has their own prejudices against another group. oh yea can you explain, if you don't mind, the whole thing about cubans and mexicans? did you mean they have a grudge on eachother or you overhear them speaking about dominicans?

WHat I meant by that is that yes I have heard plenty of other hispanic group talk bad about DOminicans..but what I meant as a whole point is that Hispanic groups specially in the USA talk about each other...Mexicans talk about Dominicans Puerto RIcans Salvadorians and so do Cubans and Puerto RIcans and Dominicans and every other ethnicity out there...

Oh and Kami I saw your post at PUertoRIco.com I also noticed that no one has replied so far. Maybe just in my opinion you can phrase it better? I mean you said that you are doing a research on PR and DR but you didn't say exactly about what...maybe you should include the Racial tension between these 2 groups or discrimination between these ethnicites? that should spark a response ;) you don;t have to do it is just my opinion but I trully beleive it would help you.

kami

Dec 6, 2004
DarkDreamer said:
WHat I meant by that is that yes I have heard plenty of other hispanic group talk bad about DOminicans..but what I meant as a whole point is that Hispanic groups specially in the USA talk about each other...Mexicans talk about Dominicans Puerto RIcans Salvadorians and so do Cubans and Puerto RIcans and Dominicans and every other ethnicity out there...

Oh and Kami I saw your post at PUertoRIco.com I also noticed that no one has replied so far. Maybe just in my opinion you can phrase it better? I mean you said that you are doing a research on PR and DR but you didn't say exactly about what...maybe you should include the Racial tension between these 2 groups or discrimination between these ethnicites? that should spark a response ;) you don;t have to do it is just my opinion but I trully beleive it would help you.

thanx ;) for the revision LOL

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Hello,

My father is Puerto-rican and my mother is Dominican. I was born in Chicago, but we moved to Jersey City when I was 12 years old, I'm 31 now and moved back to Chicago when I was 22. The puerto-rican side of my family had some kind of superiority complex when they encountered my dominican side, for no other reason than ethnic background. It couldn't possibly be because of wealth or social standing, since my mother's side owns a number of property in the midwest and my father side were mostly poor.

There's this whole idea of "marrying up" when you seek a mate. You want to lighten the skin tone of your children and make sure they have "good hair". I'm kinda in the middle, I'm not as dark as the average Dominican, but not as light as my father's side of the family, which are a bit more european looking than the average puerto-rican. I remember when I was in school in Jersey City and someone asked where I was from, and when I responded she said, "oh, bendito.." She was puerto rican. Well, I was rather young, and didn't understand completely why she would respond that way.

My sister told me when I was a baby my father would tell them not to mistreat his "white child", since I was a lot lighter back then. (my brothers and sisters are full dominican and have more african features).

Bottom line:
1.) You're somehow better if the texture of your hair is soft and wavy (but not straight like someone that's mostly native i.e. mexicans and some other latin americans) I remember telling a mexican that his ancesters were mostly from Asia once upon a time, that was fun... that's also a different topic. :p

2.) The shade of your skin will determine the level of respect people will have for you.

These things happen within Dominicans as well, and within communities that are largely Puerto Rican. Look out if you ever ask a dark skinned Puerto rican if he's dominican.

I don't think there's much prejudice against Dominicans because of the country of origin, but only because they are darker and DR just happens to have darker people than PR.

One of the benefits of being both, I can choose sides. :) When I hear a Dominican bad mouthing a puerto rican, I stick up for the puerto rican and vice versa. Both countries and people have so many flaws that it's easy to pick something out and wound them emotionally. But of course, all countries have their issues.

If you have any specific questions I will be more than happy to share my experiences.

Oh, btw, when I think about myself I often just say I'm Dominican or feel a stronger connection to DR. However, I haven't been to either country! But, I'm going to change that next year. I think I rather say Dominican, because one naturally has a stronger bond with their mothers and the DR is autonomous, so there's a greater sense of pride.

But make no mistake, I'm very proud to be an American first. If there's ever a war with the spanish world, I would support the US above all others. This is where I was born, this is where my family is succeeding and living a decent life and this is where one day my ashes will be spread.

rpagan0203

Jan 12, 2004
Dominicans Vs PRicans?. Only in the US..

As a Dominican born with one PRican grandparent from each side, lived in PR when I was in my teens, married a PR woman, my kids born in NY, have fair skin color and straight hair, I thing I should put my two cents into this conversation.

I got to PR when I was in my early teens (14 to be exact) and lived there until I was 23, before I moved to NY. In all my years in PR I never, and I mean never encountered any racial discrimination from a Puerto Rican young or old. In my neighborhood there where only two Dominican families my family and another family and they weren't treated any different either.

My friends were all PRicans and I never heard not one racial word coming out of their mouths. Now, when my wife and I came to NY, well that's when "la puerca torcio el rabo", I started hearing all kinds of things about Dominicans from PRicans of all colors and ages "This Dominicans come here and they are taking all the jobs", this Dominican this and this Dominicans that, even my wife started singing the same song. Her family allways had a "BUT" in their mouths when they spoke about US Dominicans (he is Dominican BUT).

And my questions is: Why is a person so different when they come from the same ednic background but live in different parts of the world?, well my answer to this is, the ones that live there did not feel superior to any other people coming from other parts of the world, so they treated everybody the same, they did not (I don't know now) feel threatened, in turn the ones here do feel threatened by us, they see that we come here to work and we started opening bodegas and all types of other businesses, we came here to make us a better life, you see we are sellers, PRs here are buyers, they do not want to bother with anything but a 9-5 job, I still hear my wife singing the same song "Estos domincanos se las traen, son bien negociantes", and I tell her "Some one has got to sell you the platanos pa los tostones y el aguacate".

We have two doughters, one of them hangs out with Italians only (but listens to merengue all the time) and the other one considers herself Dominican, speaks with Domincan accent, has a Dominican boyfriend and when she speaks to her Mother, her Mother gets annoid and the accent, that's when I tell her " Payback is a B..ch, ain't it", but we are still a mix family and we love each other regarless.

There are PRicans that I know here (I wouldn't call them my friends) because somehow, the ones that come from there now, after a little while start getting contaminated.

Maybe some day it'll all change for the better, because like it or not we are all cut by the same tijeras.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ray

kami

Dec 6, 2004
Ray:
i know what you mean... it used to be like that when i was younger but now after years have passed it has been getting worse... so far what i got out of this is that Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico are only annoyed (not because they are Dominican) but because it is their land and Domininicans are the predominant ones who are overpopulating it... then from there all hell breaks lose because there are some groups of Puerto Ricans (not all) that begin the discrimination, to stereotype, to say racial slurrs... and you know what it is not right but its kinda undersatndable behavior because they feel like if they can not get enough money toi provide their own families whith their needs led alone trying to provide the newcomers (Dominicans) with their needs because the economy is not doing as well... so its undersatndable but dont get me wrong i am not saying thai it is acceptable but from their point of view its understandable... as for the whole conflict in NYC i have seen that itis all from pride and they (Puerto Ricans) feel a little thereaned also because the Dominicans are putting up their own businesses and surving in the States... a feel of threat then gets people scared and at times a bit jelous... but i am not speaking on an individuals experience i am speaking about the 2 groups as a whole... i have also noticed that both of their relationships and the way that they think about one another is based on their own experiences, and if it is a bad experience then that is when the generalizations come to play... then by word of mouth those generalizations spread causing the friction between the two groups. Then why do they listen to those remarks if they may know that it is not correct? because each of them will stand up for what is theirs and what belongs to them... the Puerto Ricans will rep Puerto Rico to the fullest no matter what is being said or if they are in the wrong and the same will go for Dominicans... each one is trying to survive individually and as a group they are trying to rise above and be successful (like everyone does). The only problem that i see in reality is the one in Puerto Rico... think about this for a sec... if the Dominican Republic were to be getting crowded (this is just an example) by Haitians migrating to DR how would they react?... I bet you that a whole bunch of Dominicans would be protesting and acting the same way as the Puerto Ricans are acting with the Dominicans in Puerto Rico. why? because lets face it our economic status (DR) is not doing so well now ppl are trying to get by the way that they could and if the population increases then it would be even harder for the ppl of DR to make enough to provide their families with. (i am not trying to be biased here and if i sounded biased then i apologize for that) iam just simply stating my opinion based on the research and looking at it through both perspectives. I understand the feud that is going on in Puerto Rico and i say that the feud going on in the States is just pitiful and grotesque. i say there really is no need for that but each group feels the need to defend their own and i believe that all the tension in the States is just done out of pride and dignity.... i dont think that there really is going to be a solution for this we just have to wait until the people themselves are willing to stop categorizing one another and stop all the biased, generalizing, part racial comments and just do them... but u know what this problem might never stop because of the ppl themselves they are the ones who have to realize that they are in the usa to help their own families be it in DR or PR...

I am sorry if some of the words are mispelled but i am in a bit of a rush :nervous: if i dont make sense feel free to ask me any questions, and if u dont agree well then let me know ur entitled to ur own opinions. i am not trying to say that this is it i am just stating what i have heard from your testimonies and others...
much love
keep the peace
*~Kami~*

Last edited:

Iraida

Dec 8, 2004
Im ashamed

Lesley D said:
DarkDreamer,

I read your post and I felt obliged to respond. I hope you did not feel my post was biased in anyway. You are absolutely correct in saying that the survey should include perspectives from both angles. Hopefully Kami is out there getting feedback from some Puerto Ricans but no research in a survey like this is conclusive but trends can be observed. I hope you agree. On a personal level (which I don't share too often with people on this board) I HIGHLY respect Puerto Ricans for diverse reasons and I will tell anyone openly and proudly. My observations have no way influenced or changed my respect towards Puerto Ricans.

-Lesley D

Hi,
I don't want to be nosey but, I happened to read your article and I just want to let u know that, I am not one of those Dominicans. If it makes you feel better," I'm sorry". I just wanna say that I am one of many Dominicans that, has dated Puetoricans and has a best friend that is puertorican. My godfather is puertorican. My sister, she's married to a wonderful puertorican. Whatever u have encountered, it's called ignorance, and it hurts. I want to also mention that, we are 2 wonderful countries, the food, the music, everything. I remember my Godfather, making coquito, pasteles and showing me how to play dominoes and billard. These were the wonderful things that has made me love PR, as well as the people I have encountered along the way. Now, I want you to bare in mind, there are far worst prejudice that come from other races. I have been dating an Irish guy for 12 years, and, his oldest sister seemed to always mention the word, "NIgger" around me. Even when I was pregnant, she started saying that the "nigger" baby I was carrying, wasn't her brother's. Eventually everything worked out for the best. She and I are now the best of friends because, I forgave and understood what it was to be ignorant. Ignorance happens when someone doesn't know what scares them. If you get to know, and just open your world to differences, everything is beautiful, like the salsa that I love, and the bachata that PR's love as well.

"By the way, this comment is with respect to DarkDream's post". Thank you Lesley D

Last edited:

Iraida

Dec 8, 2004
Beautiful

DominiRican said:
Hello,

My father is Puerto-rican and my mother is Dominican. I was born in Chicago, but we moved to Jersey City when I was 12 years old, I'm 31 now and moved back to Chicago when I was 22. The puerto-rican side of my family had some kind of superiority complex when they encountered my dominican side, for no other reason than ethnic background. It couldn't possibly be because of wealth or social standing, since my mother's side owns a number of property in the midwest and my father side were mostly poor.

There's this whole idea of "marrying up" when you seek a mate. You want to lighten the skin tone of your children and make sure they have "good hair". I'm kinda in the middle, I'm not as dark as the average Dominican, but not as light as my father's side of the family, which are a bit more european looking than the average puerto-rican. I remember when I was in school in Jersey City and someone asked where I was from, and when I responded she said, "oh, bendito.." She was puerto rican. Well, I was rather young, and didn't understand completely why she would respond that way.

My sister told me when I was a baby my father would tell them not to mistreat his "white child", since I was a lot lighter back then. (my brothers and sisters are full dominican and have more african features).

Bottom line:
1.) You're somehow better if the texture of your hair is soft and wavy (but not straight like someone that's mostly native i.e. mexicans and some other latin americans) I remember telling a mexican that his ancesters were mostly from Asia once upon a time, that was fun... that's also a different topic. :p

2.) The shade of your skin will determine the level of respect people will have for you.

These things happen within Dominicans as well, and within communities that are largely Puerto Rican. Look out if you ever ask a dark skinned Puerto rican if he's dominican.

I don't think there's much prejudice against Dominicans because of the country of origin, but only because they are darker and DR just happens to have darker people than PR.

One of the benefits of being both, I can choose sides. :) When I hear a Dominican bad mouthing a puerto rican, I stick up for the puerto rican and vice versa. Both countries and people have so many flaws that it's easy to pick something out and wound them emotionally. But of course, all countries have their issues.

If you have any specific questions I will be more than happy to share my experiences.

Oh, btw, when I think about myself I often just say I'm Dominican or feel a stronger connection to DR. However, I haven't been to either country! But, I'm going to change that next year. I think I rather say Dominican, because one naturally has a stronger bond with their mothers and the DR is autonomous, so there's a greater sense of pride.

But make no mistake, I'm very proud to be an American first. If there's ever a war with the spanish world, I would support the US above all others. This is where I was born, this is where my family is succeeding and living a decent life and this is where one day my ashes will be spread.

This is so beautiful. My sister is married to a Puertorican man, as u would supposse, my nephew is 1/2 Dominican and 1/2 puertorican. Beautiful. I just wanna say that, u have the best of both worlds

rpagan0203

Jan 12, 2004
kami said:
Ray:
I am sorry if some of the words are mispelled but i am in a bit of a rush :nervous
*~Kami~*

Don't worry about the mispelling Kami, we all do.

To tell you the Truth, I haven't been to PR since '97 and it was only for a weekend to see my Dominican Mother and PRican half sister, whom I love very much.

I didn't know that things there had gotten to that point, my Mother is always mentioning that there are alot of new Dominicans coming to PR that all they do is hang out by the corner colmado and drink beer all day, but acording to her those are the illegal ones with no jobs. I guess the over population and the lack of jobs has alot to do with that, but nevertheless once they discover the route to the states, things change once they get a job and a cuarto in their causing's tini apartment (we all been thru that) things start to change, 95% of the time for the better, but we also have our pride and we do not treat other people any different because pride does not give anyone the right to mistreat other people.

One thing that comes to mind, why is it that we treat each other that way but then again we marrie each other more than people from other countries?, my guess is that even though we bombard each other with hurtfull words, and put each other down, we are still one people and by marriing each other and having mix kids all of this nonsence will come to an end some day. To quote Dr Martin Luther King "I have a dream".

When it comes to the Haitians, no body has it worse than they do, In my younger days back in DR I remember that they were accepted, granted we needed somebody to cut the sugar cane and they lived in segregation in los bateyes, but I never witness any mistreatment, when they went to the dispensario to get medical attention they got it just like any other person, we played baseball with their kids. I hear you when you say that if they start coming into DR with the economy the way it is things will get bad for them, but aren't we supposed to help a neighbor in times of need, aren't we supposed to offer them a helping hand (If I sound religious please forgive me, I am not trying to preach here, I am not even religious) the people that will rise against Haitians migrating to the DR are provably the same ones that some day some how will try to migrate to the US, we are all looking for a better way of life (If I am getting away from the subject, please forgive me).

Going back to the subject at hand, I think it is time that we put our efforts toguether and unite our pride as one people (that we are), because we as a people are the victims of something bigger, we Dominicans and PRicans alike are being treated like trash in this country, we are called all kinds of names, PRicans are the spicks and the Dominicans are the Drug lords.

My thoughts on this : Lets keep marriing each other, that way who is going to insult whom??, we all be a bunch of MUTS!!

BTW, I didn't mention that I am also part Chinese, and some of my friends here in NY are Chinese.

Love you all.

Ray

Iraida

Dec 8, 2004
I Agree

rpagan0203 said:
Don't worry about the mispelling Kami, we all do.

To tell you the Truth, I haven't been to PR since '97 and it was only for a weekend to see my Dominican Mother and PRican half sister, whom I love very much.

I didn't know that things there had gotten to that point, my Mother is always mentioning that there are alot of new Dominicans coming to PR that all they do is hang out by the corner colmado and drink beer all day, but acording to her those are the illegal ones with no jobs. I guess the over population and the lack of jobs has alot to do with that, but nevertheless once they discover the route to the states, things change once they get a job and a cuarto in their causing's tini apartment (we all been thru that) things start to change, 95% of the time for the better, but we also have our pride and we do not treat other people any different because pride does not give anyone the right to mistreat other people.

One thing that comes to mind, why is it that we treat each other that way but then again we marrie each other more than people from other countries?, my guess is that even though we bombard each other with hurtfull words, and put each other down, we are still one people and by marriing each other and having mix kids all of this nonsence will come to an end some day. To quote Dr Martin Luther King "I have a dream".

When it comes to the Haitians, no body has it worse than they do, In my younger days back in DR I remember that they were accepted, granted we needed somebody to cut the sugar cane and they lived in segregation in los bateyes, but I never witness any mistreatment, when they went to the dispensario to get medical attention they got it just like any other person, we played baseball with their kids. I hear you when you say that if they start coming into DR with the economy the way it is things will get bad for them, but aren't we supposed to help a neighbor in times of need, aren't we supposed to offer them a helping hand (If I sound religious please forgive me, I am not trying to preach here, I am not even religious) the people that will rise against Haitians migrating to the DR are provably the same ones that some day some how will try to migrate to the US, we are all looking for a better way of life (If I am getting away from the subject, please forgive me).

Going back to the subject at hand, I think it is time that we put our efforts toguether and unite our pride as one people (that we are), because we as a people are the victims of something bigger, we Dominicans and PRicans alike are being treated like trash in this country, we are called all kinds of names, PRicans are the spicks and the Dominicans are the Drug lords.

My thoughts on this : Lets keep marriing each other, that way who is going to insult whom??, we all be a bunch of MUTS!!

BTW, I didn't mention that I am also part Chinese, and some of my friends here in NY are Chinese.

Love you all.

Ray

Ray-

I agree with you. Lets marry one another, and become "ONE".

kami

Dec 6, 2004
Ray[/QUOTE]
we all be a bunch of MUTS!! :bandit: ;)
this is funny but its oh so very true!!!! we are ALL muts :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Fuego
Yes I was raised in the US. I have family that has lived in Spanish Harlem, "El Barrio", for over 15 years. My cousins went to school there. I went to school in the inner city in Harlem at a time when it was a good mix of blacks and latinos (PR and DR). I am dark skinned and proud of it because despite the ugliness of the inner city, I had an opportunity to appreciate the beauty.

When I go back to NYC, I stay in Spanish Harlem.

I have lived across the country and I have to say that PRs I have encountered have been very welcoming and supportive to me.

I have had very few minor conversations with a few PRs where I could say ignorant comments were said, but it was not in the context of insults. I had another cousin who was 50/50 and I had to protect her from my ignorant family members to remind her not to listen to their mess and to be proud of all her roots. Like I said I worry more about the issues my own people have and what they have to say.

We need to resolve our own racial issues first before we can afford to point fingers elsewhere.

Peace
d
FuegoAzul21 said:
were you raised in the usa ? , you ever lived in a PR neighborhood( i havent but im askin you)and went to school there? if so , and you say that you have recieved nothing but love ,i must say ,u r a rare case ,but not an impossible one.Another thing i forgot to mention that if ur are a Dark skinned Dominican , the insults and humiliation come more frequent because you fit the stereotype of Dominicans , which is what the people hate , so the hate is directed toward you , If your a light skinned Dominican you will not encounter it as much (from my expeiriences) , also , PRs from the island tend to be less ignorant then the ones from the states , i assuming you ve delt with older more educated people so the ignorance probably wasnt all there.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Deelt,

Ese comentario....estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo. So little words captured it all.

Saludos,

Lesley D

===========

PD Kami,

You are getting excellent input from everyone here. I hope your project goes well and if you can please share your findings with us. All the best!

-Lesley D

deelt said:
We need to resolve our own racial issues first before we can afford to point fingers elsewhere.

Peace
d

Status
Not open for further replies.