DR Considers Outlawing Guns

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And you can bet high that these same people will still be carrying guns if everybody else cannot.

It is not about the privileged, it is about the rest of us. The government should always fear the people. Not much of that happening here.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Look at it this way. If they take away all guns from citizens, then all citizens are at the mercy of the criminals and even worse, the Police. They will have the guns and no one can protect themselves and their families. At lease legally they can't.

Just issue a gun to everyone and we'll be much safer.
Also we must fight more wars to put an end to war, maybe drop nuklear devices to really tech them a lesson.

By the way,
Merry Christmas and peace on earth.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
the "so lets hand out guns to Kindergarten kids while we are at it.." comment can not be far behind .. .

any moment now..

As to the DR and Guns,
imo
It is THEIR country, and they can do as they please... if crime skyrockets, I will spend my $ elsewhere and never return, that is how I will VOTE on that one.. if crime remains the same, or drops
i will continue to keep my mouth shut on the Laws of a Sovereign Nation which has the right to do as they please...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.7dias.com.do/el-pais/201...nder-arma-como-vendiera-pan.html#.VnWRL4-cG00

http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...idad-desarmar-poblacion-civil-dominicana.html

The revived debate in DR is worth following and I am sure there will be many editorials this weekend.

There are those that want to disarm the population and those seeking passage of the new law to restrict gun ownership more strictly and further restrict the right to carry arms as well as increasing penalties.

Does anybody in their right mind think Dominicanos need more readily available guns right now????

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
http://www.7dias.com.do/el-pais/201...nder-arma-como-vendiera-pan.html#.VnWRL4-cG00

http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...idad-desarmar-poblacion-civil-dominicana.html

The revived debate in DR is worth following and I am sure there will be many editorials this weekend.

There are those that want to disarm the population and those seeking passage of the new law to restrict gun ownership more strictly and further restrict the right to carry arms as well as increasing penalties.

Does anybody in their right mind think Dominicanos need more readily available guns right now????

I would answer this highly loaded question in the following way...
Where do you suppose the guns already in circulation will Go to, when they are OUTLAWED ??
who will collect them., will they hand themselves in, or will they self destruct like in Mission Impossible ?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Just imagine that the guy who killed Juancito could do the same with machete, for example... what a blood bath, much worse than a gun shot :)
yes, but it is far easier to defend one?s self from a guy with a machete. if you can manage to close the distance between an attacker and yourself, you can render him ineffective, unless he is far bigger and stronger than you are. a gun does not allow for that option.
I wonder what N??ez Pi?a the Claro VP would have to say about that?
maybe you can tell us whether or not Nunez was killed by a machete wielding guy.
The article I read said he was stabbed to death. Has that been determined not to be the case?
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...o-de-claro-en-el-parque-mirador-sur-HY2133283

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Rule #2, people of virtually every other nation other than the USA have different values and opinions and are not lemming like.

Dominicans will make up their mind on this issue and their current law is not intended to promote gun ownership as anything but a means to provide self defense on ones property and for ones family.

They...Dominicans will make a decision on this and you need to man up and accept it if it goes against your thinking.

Stop wasting hot air...it is not our decision.....they have a law and are in process of amending it and maybe the events of the last few days will produce a result not to the liking of some but that is part of living in DR.

As gorgon said...if you don't like it you know where the airport is.

2% of the population in DR owns guns legally and that is perhaps enough and still a manageable threshold

Explain to me please the part about if you don't like it head to the airport? Should I assume that you like EVERYTHING about this (or any other) country? I have lived here going on 10 years. There are things I don't like about life here HOWEVER there are more that I like than not. I have traveled the world and lived in many places, as of yet I have not discovered Nirvana.
I am not one constantly complaining here on DR1 (I often wonder how many complaining even live here). Most of the things I don't like I laugh off.
I don't believe they will pass gun control and hope they that they don't. If they do I will either own illegally and take my chances or maintain legal authorization. Either way I am not headed to the airport.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I would answer this highly loaded question in the following way...
Where do you suppose the guns already in circulation will Go to, when they are OUTLAWED ??
who will collect them., will they hand themselves in, or will they self destruct like in Mission Impossible ?

I would refer you to the debate now developing in DR rather than to any preconceived opinions and I have posted two current DR articles with two positions on the issue.

The current state of the debate is logical. Gun crime and gun homicide and security of the civil population is perhaps the number one issue on every Dominican mind right now and the current debate is about controlling those arms in the public domain or in the extreme removing all those arms. The debate is now about passing a new modern law and then implementing it.

If you care to read what Cristina Lizardo has said, you will understand there is a cautious approach being discussed too.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The article I read said he was stabbed to death. Has that been determined not to be the case?
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...o-de-claro-en-el-parque-mirador-sur-HY2133283

They are talking about several cases. One is the suicide-murder of Mayor and businessman Juan de los Santos and his bodyguard (via gun shots) and the other is the Claro executive (stabbed to death). I guess they mentioned the executive as a case where NO gun law would have helped. One could also argue that if the executive had had a gun MAYBE he would have injured or killed the attacker before the attacker murdered him (we'll never know, of course).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a question. Do you think you are more likely to get killed here in

A In an Automobile accident. Or

B By gunshot.

And you need not own either one to answer. A gun or a car.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I would refer you to the debate now developing in DR rather than to any preconceived opinions and I have posted two current DR articles with two positions on the issue.

The current state of the debate is logical. Gun crime and gun homicide and security of the civil population is perhaps the number one issue on every Dominican mind right now and the current debate is about controlling those arms in the public domain or in the extreme removing all those arms. The debate is now about passing a new modern law and then implementing it.

If you care to read what Cristina Lizardo has said, you will understand there is a cautious approach being discussed too.

And as much as I respect and admire a good debate, and as also stated since I am not a Citizen of the DR, my opinion on gun control is that I dont have one..

I still pose the Logical question of HOW do guns PHYSICALLY get REMOVED from the Population ( criminal or not) , and How do the guns made ILLEGAL overnight , stay OUT of the hands of Criminals once they become " hot potatoes" so to speak.
with INTRINSIC Value, especially in a Country so POOR as the DR...
These Guns will still have Monetary value, or do you dispute that as well ?
Or if you know for a fact WHERE they will go, please do share that info with us.. ( or point me to a post or thread or link for that)
I am not the one who asked the question if " more readily available Guns are a good thing"..
I have no horse in the race...
merely asking where the guns will go once they are OUTLAWED..
or is this an unfair question ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only way the Gov. can get guns off the street is to pay the going price for them. And at current prices which is about $3,000 or more for a licensed hand gun I doubt they will do it. And NO ONE will give up a gun for free. NO ONE.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Ok, agreed, so lets do the next sensible thing, and ban the people who are the most susceptible to go crazy and shoot up the neighbourhood from owning guns....... since as you say, guns dont kill, people do.

So article #1 of the new dr gun law,
Never, never should a gun permit be delivered to a US citizen..... ;) ;)

Ok, you don't like guns. Don't insult people for the place they live or once lived or anything like that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i just love the fallacy that is widely held that if there was a guy with a gun in every one of these insane mass shootings, he could have done something to neutralize the gunman, or gunmen.

that is some simplistic shyte right there. police officers are trained to shoot in the academy, and they are normally versed in the protocols of gun use. they are required to renew their training ever so often, to sharpen their skills with their weapons. despite all that, NYC police, for example, miss their targets 78% of the time, and very often those targets are unarmed people who are not shooting back at them. if they can only hit the target less than one out of four times, i hate to think of how much unintentional damage might be done by some guy who went to a gun shop, bought a Glock, and goes to the range when he gets a chance. when confronted by a guy firing bursts from an automatic weapon, our samaritan might shoot more passersby and bystanders than bad guys.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Look at it this way. If they take away all guns from citizens, then all citizens are at the mercy of the criminals and even worse, the Police. They will have the guns and no one can protect themselves and their families. At lease legally they can't.

url]

Sep 4, 2012

Better question to ask is where the normal Dominicano get/purchase their guns from, that is, legal or illegal way?

Answer that one and you will come full cycle.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Better question to ask is where the normal Dominicano get/purchase their guns from, that is, legal or illegal way?

Answer that one and you will come full cycle.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ce-a-rd-entran-furgones-desde-europa-y-ee-uu-

Afirma que el Gobierno est? tomando los controles, pero admite que al pa?s entran muchas armas ilegales, sobre todo en furgones desde los Estados Unidos y Europa, y aclar? que la mayor?a no entra a trav?s de la frontera con Hait?.

Legal ownership was not the debate. Carrying has become he debate.

The Caribbean and all it's islands used to be places without gun crime a few decades ago. Paradise lost.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Give peace a chance

I am well aware of the Swiss legislation, they have been handling it responsibly.
The problem is with the mentality of some. I doubt that humans will reach the next level of awareness in the the short term , if ever.
Right wing populist parties are on the rise in Europe, the Swiss SVP is one of them.
Also in Hungary, Poland, France, Germany and some former east block countries.
A reaction of fear, and grabs for power and money in the own personal interests of the leaders.

On higher political levels Putin, Bashar al-Assad, Erdogan, Saudi Arabia, Kim Jong-un, China, IS, Taliban and a list of others.
While the DR is on an Island it is also greatly affected by global happenings.

Already most Dominicans cannot travel freely. Gringos travelling to and from the DR are also affected by global security. Gun culture and crime is just one aspect. American gun mentality is imported into the DR as can be seen on this board. No, there are no easy answers or solutions.
Martin Luther King and John Lennon are testament to this.
Sadly I will not see peace on this earth in my lifetime.