Dr1 members, have at it.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
lets not go to extremes here. I understand full well the hardships that those who live in poverty have to face. My parents lived it first hand before they sent us here to give us a better life. Think about the comments you make before you go assuming that people haven't experienced life or pain at all.

It seems unusual for someone who experienced poverty and lifted themselves out of it to want to date/marry/carry on with someone still living in poverty.

Having said that, your responsibility is to love her and support her. Tell her once what you think, then leave it at that. You'll be in her life much longer than he is. Don't let your need to intervene put a wedge in your relationship with her.

I'd keep her personal business off the Internet, too. You've now given enough info that she can identify herself. It may mean you care or that you can't be trusted. Think about that.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Love is a powerful thing but the love here is not for your sister sorry to say but for his fiance that he wants to buy the expensive item for.

Seems to me like a great big love triangle since the fiancee probably rode to NYC on a pole and isn't even thinking about him.

sina_valensina

Oct 14, 2012
Well, in Italy we call them Gigolos, in the DR Sanky Pankies, in the Bahamas Prostituters...
whatever....

I used to come and go to the Bahamas for almost 30 years because I loved the lonely, most beautiful beaches without too much tourists. I could go in and out whenever I wanted because there were not too much crimes on an out island with around 3000 natives living there. I had no intention to meet a male but one day it happened. A beautiful man - he was working on a roof always called me cutie, beautiful woman etc... whenever I passed the house. I thought well, this is a working guy - he might be serious. So I gave him a chance to invite me, we had a very nice time and the rendez-vous went into love (???). Since I was on sabbatical I had the oppurtunity to stay there for 6 months, went back to Austria just to take some more clothes and took the next flight to the out island. We lived in harmony (in my apartment of course but I did not realize yet that he had nothing) and he stopped to work to "spend more time with me". I felt guilty because he "gave up" everything to make my time over there beautiful. 1 year later we married and he still did not make any efforts to get a job. Well, if you don't live in the capital of the Bahamas its hard for true to find a job.
One day we were invited to shoot pool at the house one of my rich friends from Switzerland. We were betting for his boat and I won. So we pulled out the gain out of his yard and we began to make professional fishing and Langusta-diving which was amazing and we made good money. Tanny was operating the boat and a second guy was free diving and he did it good. We shared the money.... as soon as they had their money in the pocket they went to the liquor store and they weren't souber for at least 3 days and nights. I was cursing and tried to talk into Tanny's head that this is not the way of life after they did it every time after we reached the dock. My husband turned to a "professional alcoholic" - he got used to my good heart... I went back to Austria because my mother felt sick and I wanted to be near her. She recovered so I went back to the Bahamas. I did so for approx. 5 or 6 years until I found out through one of my friends in Facebook that he has another woman (a well known bitch who already had 2 children from different men of course) and must have felt love with her so bad that he did everything for her (he never did nothing for me, he never bought me anything... ). Well, since I knew (through Facebook) the he parked MY car always in front of her door I called him to ask him for the truth. He said that people are lying, they don't want to see us happy, he would never go to this bitch because she must have germs etc... but in the meantime my friend (she was working at the gasstation) sent me a picture with them together so I knew the real truth. I flew back to him and he did so as if I would be the only one (the bitch was living almost next door to us) and she did so as if she would be my friend telling me she would NEVER go into a relationship with a married man.... hahahaaaa. Back in Austria he sold my boat including traylor (without my knowlege) to be able to buy pampers for his new child (still kept telling me it's not his baby) - I should send him money so that we can finally begin to build our new house (he inherited a property) - he wanted 5,000 Dollars for the blocks. Knowing that he had no idea how to order blocks in the States I said I will see when I come back. When I was back I found out the story about my boat - I went to the buyer and to the police showing them all the papers of the boat which was on MY name and I got it BEFORE we married. Tanny had to give the money back to the guy who bought it (he had to call his father for the money because he was afraid to go into jail) and his father (an idiot in my eyes) gave it to him. Well, I think I don't need to tell you more. He tried to call me several times in Austria telling me he still loves me etc... etc.... I just told him to go back to his bitch, they stick good together. He bitch, she bitch.

Now I intend to go to the DR (the climate do me good for my hitted bones) and have read a lot about the "Gigolos". Hehe, they will wonder how I will treat them... will make them hopes and let them fall like a burnhot potatoe!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You guys are idiots.
The girl is trying to help her sister.

Give me her phone number, tell her to expect my call.
I give straight talk, no chaser.

Be prepared for her to be depressed for a while after I talk to her. But remember, depressed is better than broke.

SHALENA

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Hey OP,

The best thing for your sister to do is buy the guy a house so that he and his wife can live comfortably. Don't worry, he'll move his wife out on the first visit, and on the second he'll introduce his wife as his cousin, and on the third visit the "cousin" will ask your sister for money too.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Shalena if the OP wants to help her sister she should get her to a psychiatrist. She didnt get played shes playing herself.
Most people who have these gloom and doom stories about love in DR have several things in common.
1. they are idiots
2. they know what they are getting into
3. If it wasnt someone in the DR it would be someone somewhere else
There are people in life who are walking disasters. They buy fixer upper houses with no construction ability, or money. They start businesses without a plan. Either through ignorance or diminished mental capacity they go through life wanting sympathy for the mess they made themselves.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Shalena if the OP wants to help her sister she should get her to a psychiatrist. She didnt get played shes playing herself.
Most people who have these gloom and doom stories about love in DR have several things in common.
1. they are idiots
2. they know what they are getting into
3. If it wasnt someone in the DR it would be someone somewhere else
There are people in life who are walking disasters. They buy fixer upper houses with no construction ability, or money. They start businesses without a plan. Either through ignorance or diminished mental capacity they go through life wanting sympathy for the mess they made themselves.

Hey JB, you're probably right. But still, you don't have to be so hard to her. Some people are pragmatic, some others are experienced and practical, and yet some others are dreamers. Sankies' victims are not necessarily idiots, but people who are lacking some things in their lives so badly that they would fall for anyone who seems to offer them to them. Sankies are good at detecting this, give them some credit.

About the lady from Austria with the sad experience in the Bahamas, I really hope she comes here. This country needs a few more experienced gringos and gringas to teach them sankies a thing or two.