Driving At Night

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I read recently that the same rock throwing was happening on the Autopista Duarte at the Villa Altagracia area. I don't mind driving within the cites at night at all but strongly avoid driving highways at night because of many of the reasons mentioned.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Night driving here is tiring but not something I'm terribly afraid of. I have driven almost every area of the country at night and multiple times. One day I took off from the Capital at around 6pm and drove to a place close to Pedernales called Juancho to pick up some items we needed in Punta Cana, then drove straight through to Punta Cana, dropped off the items and then back to the Capital arriving around 2:30am. No problems other then the normal bright lights in the eyes, cars and motos with no tail lights and people running out in the middle of the street. Typical day of driving in the DR. I love this place!!!!

sorter like driving in a video game...

AE, that's the point. Driving is a risk. Driving at night a greater risk. As long as the driver accepts the premise, it doesn't matter how many times they have gone from A to B, one of these times, they will not make it without incident. The likelihood of an incident is greater at night but not exclusive to the darkness. If you play the lottery everyday forever, you will eventually be a winner it's just that no one can say when that will be, sooner or later.

The rock incident is actually more common in the morning. I’ve had it happen to me between the tunnel and Santiago.
If you can’t see or terrified of driving at night fine but don’t scare everyone else into thinking it is that horrid. Maybe listen to people who do it often and not the ones who are terrified and rarely do it.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I should note that I drive a 1.5 decade old jeepeta with three cracks in the windshield already... I'm not saying rock incidents don't happen I am just saying I have lost more money to amet than to any other group of criminals in the country.

Drove to SD yesterday, returned at 6, arriving to sti after dark. Sitting in traffic, with caribe tour bus, or bellon camiones, forcing their way into your lane to take advantage of an elevado, without giving a single f*k about you and your right of way, I would have been glad for a rock to break the monotony.

More damage done to my car from the potholes that are now surrounded by bright Yellow paint but still not fixed, than by criminals.

If we are going to complain about the bad things that happen on the roads here we should focus on the idiots on pasolas on the highway at night driving at 20 mph while the rest of us go 70, without helmets or lights. Or the camiones also without lights that take up both lanes driving 40mph. You know, the stuff that happens every 3 miles, not the stuff like rocks that happens rarely and could also be the result of a camione in front of you but it's easier to blame criminals that to suggest you were tailgating

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They used to throw hard Fruit ...But i guess rocks will do in a pinch..
It just amazing that people fall for this Gag ... a "part" just fell off your car ? .. at the precise moment that a guy who just happened to have PERFECT Vision, Saw it happening ( because he would not have heard it, only you did) , and by coincidence decides to flag you down, and knows exactly what just happened ,and a guy who can fix it for you. This all just magically happens within like 30 seconds .. When in your life has that ever happened before..... answer... never ..
Anyone who believes this almost deserves to have their pockets picked clean.
It happened to me one time on that big Hill to Puerto Plata . 2 Bozos in a truck threw something,.and I did everything I could to not LAUGH at the guy when I saw him coming up on my side.
Rule #1 , do NOT get out of your car .. drive to a gas station of your choice . and let them look if you really are that unsure about some part falling off ... ..
Now if you Legit BREAK DOWN and Local people who look like mechanics ( look at their hands) stop to come to help you... this is usually legit , and you can probably take a chance with them and save a ton of money too. Completely different scenario.
but yeagh.. Parts dont just fall off of Cars like that.

I had been waiting 5 years for these guys to try it on me and then take pics etc. We were late for a surgery so couldn’t really stop and take pics and deal with that idiot. He tried and tried to get us to pull over, my wife gave him the finger and we took off very quickly. Tried to get pics of him but they were blurry. He finally after 10 min of following us gave up and turned off.
It was a perfect place to try this. There were no populated areas for about 20 min.
I was ****ed i waited so long to do something and couldn’t. We will wait again I guess...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I drive here at night all of the time... But I avoid the capital like the plague.

Why come to paradise only to travel to hell?

My response would be virtually identical to yours. I live here full time and frequently drive at night.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They seek out RENTAL CARS . .that is why it took so long to WAIT for them to try it on you.. these guys KNOW the Cars .they know who to TRY.. They guesses wrong on that try.. You can tell who the visitors are usually by how they dress as well... Colorful Shirts are a dead giveaway..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rock or object throwing is an age old pastime for bored people...
happens everywhere....

Ever notice how freight trains now cover their auto cargo....incognito

Too many hillbillies/hicks/kids taking potshots at them...

As to driving at night
Harley's the expert...

but in fairness, the accident record should be included in the advice given...

It ain't all risk free......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Because you drive at night and have not had an issue does NOT mean driving at night is not risky.

Just be thankful nothing has happened, and don't get feeling too bullet-proof.

Statistically, driving after sunset ion the DR is much riskier than the daytime.

If you are on the safe side of those stats count your blessings.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sound advice on avoiding night time driving in the RD is just that, sound advice. It is not meant as an attack on other's personal freedoms and choice to do whatever they so choose.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
IF you can keep up with them.

Exactly, I've tried following the Caribe Tours busses at night from Santiago to Puerto Plata because the lights on my rental weren't the best, but I could never keep up with them. They drove too fast for me to feel safe.

Because you drive at night and have not had an issue does NOT mean driving at night is not risky.

Just be thankful nothing has happened, and don't get feeling too bullet-proof.

Statistically, driving after sunset ion the DR is much riskier than the daytime.

If you are on the safe side of those stats count your blessings.

We have had issues 2 in 5.5 years driving 5 times a week at night for 40 minutes at a time.

I just think people are really scared here and scare others and people who have no idea love to give their advice on many things here that they have no clue about.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Driving a night is risky anywhere... Too many deer even in the cities here in NC.

JJ

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The great thing about advice is that you can reflect on it then either act on it or ignore it. Some people are scared of snakes and spiders, others are not. Some people are afraid to take greater risks than they need to, others are not. It's an individual choice. In this thread "we" present both sides of the argument, then people make up their own minds.

If I had to drive 40 minutes in the dark five nights a week, I'd move closer to where I worked, or find a position closer to home. At this stage in my life, I am not prepared to risk being inured or killed for a relatively small amount of money. Others may have a different outlook or need and that's fine with me as long as someone has told them at some point - the house always wins when you gamble and Russian Roulette is not a house game you really want to play unless you are desperate as the outcome can be rather final.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have had issues 2 in 5.5 years driving 5 times a week at night for 40 minutes at a time.

I just think people are really scared here and scare others and people who have no idea love to give their advice on many things here that they have no clue about.
That's great. Consider yourself blessed. By comparison, I've has zero incidents in 10.5 years at nights, all over the country, but was able to avoid a few.

But that does not mean driving at night is not far riskier than driving during the day because the MoH finding say otherwise.

Additionally, the roads at night get a tad safer after 9pm, according to stats. By them most drunks are home.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Harley,
There is plenty of reason to be scared. As previous posters noted, there are the hazards of motos/cars with no lights, or light in high beam. Unseen obstacles/potholes/animals in the road.. Gringo driving..The variables are many, and magnified at night.
That your bullet has not yet reached the chamber, is something to give thanks for.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Driving at night in DR is not risky, it is dangerous...

Take it or leave it, an advise from Bachata... I drove in DR at night for many years, fortunately nothing happened to me but saw many dead and injured on the roads.

JJ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
a small lesson in probabilities will sober most people up....

exposure & risks... where do the lines meet ?

The higher the risks = the less exposure one should incur