Education Level of DR1ers

The highest level of education you have achieved was a...

• Primary education or less

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • High school diploma or equivalent

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Associate's degree

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • Bachelor's degree

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • Master's degree

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Doctorate degree

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree; just hope we're all getting that across to the young person on the Dominicans Abroad Forum who posted the question from whence the poll sprang.

I'm also conscious that even educational attainment is geographically modified. A B.A in US may not be of the same order as a B.A. in UK although the US Ph.D's are probably of a higher standard than UK ones..........

I presume Scandall's final qualification = fluffed up beyond all recognition....? ;) I've actually got a real one which took some explaining....the professional social work qualification in UK many moons ago was a Diploma in Applied Social Studies.........you can guess the abbreviation, can't you?

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
So, having slept through the last two years of college that's what they gave us: an associate's degree?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
What you get after too many trips to the DR

I agree; just hope we're all getting that across to the young person on the Dominicans Abroad Forum who posted the question from whence the poll sprang.

I'm also conscious that even educational attainment is geographically modified. A B.A in US may not be of the same order as a B.A. in UK although the US Ph.D's are probably of a higher standard than UK ones..........

I presume Scandall's final qualification = fluffed up beyond all recognition....? ;) I've actually got a real one which took some explaining....the professional social work qualification in UK many moons ago was a Diploma in Applied Social Studies.........you can guess the abbreviation, can't you?

would this be only given to men?? or do women qualify for this diploma?

btw: a little joke.

I think political slant poll would be more fun and worthwhile in knowing.

Liberal, moderate(liberal slant), Moderate(conservative slant) or conservative.

More people tend to be proud of their political philosophy than level of education.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Education & Money

It's amazing how defensive some people can become? It's just an anonymous poll.

-Helpmann :rolleyes:

When it comes to education and money, people will always get defensive. This is the case wroldwide... Try asking everyone around at a cocktail party what their level of education is, where they got it from and how much they make and see what you get.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Ok, but...

When it comes to education and money, people will always get defensive. This is the case wroldwide... Try asking everyone around at a cocktail party what their level of education is, where they got it from and how much they make and see what you get.
Yeah, but this poll is anonymous and voluntary??

BTW: I hope people went out to vote in an election that really matters (well, more or less.) The New York Primary is today!!

-Helpmann :ermm:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Try asking everyone around at a cocktail party what their level of education is, where they got it from and how much they make and see what you get.

LMAO, TD. Truth be told, only Dominican people have ever asked me these questions! As well as how much $$$ my parents made. I couldn't believe it, I almost choked when I was asked.

I've had the same experience as well with some of my Dominican friends and associates. How much I made. How much is my house, how much is my car etc. But I also got the same questions when I was in poor countries in the far-east when the topic of money and cost and education came up. I think people at a certain economic level are interested in knowing because they don't have or want and knowing someone that does sparks their interest.

When I had hourly jobs, It didn't bother me to tell someone how much I made when they asked, but I never tell anyone my salary. I've even been asked many times by people that I work with in the same profession as myself, how much I make, and who may have similar saleries as myself but I know their just nosy and their motives are not as innocent or threatening as someone who is in a much lesser economic standing as myself.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
The Children....

I've had the same experience as well with some of my Dominican friends and associates. How much I made. How much is my house, how much is my car etc. But I also got the same questions when I was in poor countries in the far-east when the topic of money and cost and education came up. I think people at a certain economic level are interested in knowing because they don't have or want and knowing someone that does sparks their interest.

When I had hourly jobs, It didn't bother me to tell someone how much I made when they asked, but I never tell anyone my salary. I've even been asked many times by people that I work with in the same profession as myself, how much I make, and who may have similar saleries as myself but I know their just nosy and their motives are not as innocent or threatening as someone who is in a much lesser economic standing as myself.
It depends on where it's coming from, but sometimes, it's just innocent curiosity.

I was volunteering for a morning at a Washington Heights Elementary School and the kids asked me same question, how much do I make. If it had come from an adult, I would have found the question rude, but from a bunch of nine-year-old Dominican-American kids, I wasn't offended at all. Although, I didn't tell them specifically how much I made, I gave them a general range based on others in profession with my education and experience and left it at that.

-Helpmann :)

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Are you a good catch?

LMAO, TD. Truth be told, only Dominican people have ever asked me these questions! As well as how much $$$ my parents made. I couldn't believe it, I almost choked when I was asked.

I think they just wanted to know if you were a good catch for their son. Keep in mind that marriage is like a merger between two families. Money and education are good indicators of your family's class background. And I bet many of your friends, co-workers and family wanted to know about his background. Or is that just my own experience?

Also from my personal experience, people like to compare the cost of living, the standard of living to determine where they might have a better life. I get that from my friends abroad all the time. And that's why I'm interested in salaries, job opportunities, security, cost of living in the DR. Should I stay? or should I go?

~margaret

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Ejumacation...

I've often wondered what is "an education." On the surface, it's obvious. But what does it mean beyond that? It almost sounds like an item.

The current head of NASA has a Ph.D, a B.S. and five M.S. degrees. Does he have "an education" or lots of "educations"? Does he have multiple items? I don't understand.

Once thing is certain: those with the highest level of "education," brag the least; it's the group in the middle (B.S./B.A.) who have a compelling need to show the rest of us uneducated nincompoops how much "gooder" they are.

My uneducated guess is that the more educated a person is, the humbler she becomes - Lambada, the gracious Pib, the GREAT Mondongo, Tordok, and my favorite Gibraltarian are a testament to that. And maybe they were humble from the "git-go," adding a different dimension to what it means to be educated.

-The Kid

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Nasa?

I've often wondered what is "an education." On the surface, it's obvious. But what does it mean beyond that? It almost sounds like an item.

The current head of NASA has a Ph.D, a B.S. and five M.S. degrees. Does he have "an education" or lots of "educations"? Does he have multiple items? I don't understand.

Once thing is certain: those with the highest level of "education," brag the least; it's the group in the middle (B.S./B.A.) who have a compelling need to show the rest of us uneducated nincompoops how much "gooder" they are.

My uneducated guess is that the more educated a person is, the humbler she becomes - Lambada, the gracious Pib, the GREAT Mondongo, Tordok, and my favorite Gibraltarian are a testament to that. And maybe they were humble from the "git-go," adding a different dimension to what it means to be educated.

-The Kid
Hey, do you work at NASA? If so, are you in Pasadena?

-Helpmann :)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com

-The Kid

Aside from the above part where you kiss an embarrassing amount of DR1 butt....I agreed with your post (for once). ;)

I know of a guy in the states who was given an Honorary Doctorate from a University and actually uses the title "Doctor". Ughhhhh...

I like people who have credentials but go by "Joe" or "Dave". It's just too stuffy when someone introduces themself as "Doctor" so and so...unless of course I am there for a surgical consultation...then it might be comforting.

PS: My tagline of "Doctor of Diplomacy" is not to be taken seriously. Kind of like "Doctor Evil".

Scandall