EL Catey - L.T. road

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
A friend of mine told me yesterday that the government approved the construction of the connection road between the new airport in El Catey and Las Terrenas going through La Majagua and Coson. I always thought this project was long dead and buried. Anybody knows any details?
Playero

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
I have heard the same thing, I was this weekend at La Majagua and people from there said that some eingeneers have been around and that once the airport is completely finished, they will begin the road.
I think the information is true, but it is impossible to know when the road will be started.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
loo

looks like they're using the funds raised from the tourism fee, as with the beach regenerations, ..

Hoy newspaper:
Turismo presenta a empresarios espa?oles proyectos infraestructuras

El Ministro F?lix Jim?nez apunt? durante su intervenci?n que la inversi?n destinada para el per?odo 2007-2008 supera los 250 millones de d?lares. Entre las obras incluidas en este presupuesto destacan la construcci?n de las carreteras que unen, por una parte, El Catey y Las Terrenas, y por otra, la regi?n de Monci?n y San Jos? de Ocoa, adem?s la carretera marginal de Hig?ey, que reducir? en 50 minutos el recorrido entre Punta Cana y Santo Domingo, as? como la continuidad de la electrificaci?n de la zona colonial de Santo Domingo y de sus principales monumentos. Durante 2006 parte de la inversi?n del Ministerio de Turismo se dirigi? a la regeneraci?n de las playas de Puerto Plata, Juan Dolio y Cabarete.
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You may recall from past threads that the Santo Domingo-Samana highway is to be built in several phases. You may also recall that this road is to be the main feeder for the mega-project at playa Rincon, bringing people to the resort not only from the capitol but also from the new airport, both of which needed to be in place before the resort opens. Part of this road is already cut in behind Las Terrenas and it will eventually end at the intersection of the North coast highway and the Rincon road just outside Las Galeras.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
A friend of mine told me yesterday that the government approved the construction of the connection road between the new airport in El Catey and Las Terrenas going through La Majagua and Coson. I always thought this project was long dead and buried. Anybody knows any details?
Playero

Just got back from the ElCatey Airport inaguration, where the Minister of Public Works announce government approvall of the construction of the connection road from ElCatey to Las Terrenas, and the start of needed repairs for the Nagua to Samana road.Travel time from the new Airport (BTW official name is Juan Bosh, was named today) to Las Terrenas will be 10-15 minutes instead of 30-35 as now thru the mountains.

Watch for the land prices in Las Terrenas to go thru the roof.

WebDev

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
You may recall from past threads that the Santo Domingo-Samana highway is to be built in several phases. ...

Andy, the SD-Samana highway should be finished in time for Leonel's reelection campaigning, ..

EL CATEY, Saman? ? El presidente Leonel Fern?ndez encabez? ayer aqu? la inauguraci?n del nuevo aeropuerto internacional de esta regi?n, construido a un costo de US$80 millones, y se anunci? una inversi?n adicional de RD$115 millones para conectar la carretera Santo Domingo-Samana con la zona tur?stica de Las Terrenas.
La Terminal, construida mediante concesi?n del Estado a la empresa Aeropuertos Dominicanos (AERODOM), viene a beneficiar a todo el polo tur?stico de Saman?, en la costa nordeste del pa?s, que cuenta con unas 2,400 habitaciones hoteleras y con proyectos en carpeta para construir otras 5,000 adicionales en los pr?ximos cinco a?os.
El secretario de Obras P?blicas, Freddy P?rez, dijo que esta terminal, junto a la carretera Santo Domingo-Saman?, cuya terminaci?n est? prevista para diciembre de este a?o, representar? un empuje determinante para el progreso y desarrollo tur?stico de toda la zona, pero igualmente para fortalecer la actividad comercial y atraer inversiones.
En su discurso, anunci? que el presidente Fern?ndez le instruyo para que discuta con la empresa constructora de esta carretera extenderla desde El Cruce de Molenillo hasta la nueva terminal a?rea y de ah? al poblado tur?stico de Las Terrenas, informaci?n que fue recibida con un cerrado aplauso por parte de los presentes.

El aeropuerto Internacional de El Catey, ubicado a unos 35 kil?metros de Saman? y a otros 18 de la ciudad de Nagua, pero muy pr?ximo al municipio de S?nchez, comenz? sus operaciones en diciembre y aunque se ten?a proyectado que recibir?a unos seis vuelos semanales, en realidad ha estado recibiendo 18 cada semana.
El incremento en los vuelos ha sido de un 300 por ciento y se estudia una propuesta de Delta Airlines para cubrir la nueva ruta Atlanta-Saman?, inform? una fuente.

EXTENDERAN CARRETERAS
El secretario de Obras Publicas, tras informar que esta carretera estar? concluida en diciembre de este a?o o en enero del 2008, destac? que en el contrato de concesi?n aprobado por el Congreso figura que la v?a sea extendida hasta Nagua-Saman?, lanzando un tramo marginal que conecte con el aeropuerto y Las Terrenas.
P?rez dijo que recibi? instrucciones de Fern?ndez para reunirse con el secretario de Hacienda, Vicente Bengoa y coordinar con la empresa ejecutora la realizaci?n de este proyecto a un costo de RD$125 millones.
La actual carretera Santo Domingo-Saman? desemboca en la comunidad Rinc?n de Molenillo y desde ah? seria extendida a Nagua y Saman?, formando una T, pero comunicando directamente al aeropuerto de El Catey y de ah? a Las Terrenas.
"Este ser? un proyecto de extraordinaria importancia para la regi?n y para el pa?s", dijo el titular de Obras Publicas, quien en el acto lanz? una arenga reeleccionista.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
aegap,
The subsequent phases of construction I was referring to is the portion of the road from the airport (and now as announced, Las Terrenas) going out the peninsula the rest of the way to Rincon and it's eventual termination in Las Galeras. Although just announced as a political plum for reelection, it has been open knowledge locally that the road would go all the way to Las Galeras as I mentioned in the earlier post. And again I reiterate, a friend who had a private plane here in Samana, saw the map of the proposed route out the peninsula, overflew the route and told me it's completely doable. Believe me, this will be the main feeder road for the Rincon project and will be finished in due time. This will bring the proposed resort's guests direct from the airport more rapidly and will bypass the city of Samana and the existing north coast highway.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
El Catey airport inaugurated
The Professor Juan Bosch International Airport in El Catey, Samana, built at a cost of US$80 million, was inaugurated yesterday at a ceremony attended by President Leonel Fernandez, as reported in the Listin Diario. The airport has been receiving flights since November 2006. President Fernandez announced that an additional US$115 million would be invested to extend the Santo Domingo-Rincon de Molenillo highway in Samana to the town of Nagua. He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the new airport to the touristic town of Las Terrenas on the northern side of the Samana peninsula.
The airport was built by Aerodom and will serve the country's northeastern tourist area, which currently has 2,400 hotel rooms. A plan is in the works to build 5,400 additional rooms in the next five years. The airport is 35 kilometers from Samana and 18 kilometers from Nagua. Public Works Minister Freddy Perez says that the opening of the airport, along with the completion of the Samana-Santo Domingo highway, which should be completed by December of this year, represents a big step in the development of the whole northeastern tourist zone. When the airport opened in December 2006 only six flights per week were scheduled, but Hoy reports that it has been receiving close to 18 flights per week. There is also the possibility that Delta Airlines could begin a Atlanta-Samana frequency later this year.

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the n

This road has been cut...I was was on it a few weeks ago just after the first pass by the heavy equipment...i have a few pics if anybody wants them....sh

fitat59

Feb 24, 2006
Pictures of road from El Catey to Las Terrenas

I would greatly appreciate photos of the proposed road

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Great Views!!!!!!!!!!!

"President Fernandez announced that an additional US$115 million would be invested to extend the Santo Domingo-Rincon de Molenillo highway in Samana to the town of Nagua. He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the new airport to the touristic town of Las Terrenas on the northern side of the Samana peninsula.

"He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the new airport to the touristic town of Las Terrenas on the northern side of the Samana peninsula. "

This road has been cut...I was was on it a few weeks ago just after the first pass by the heavy equipment...i have a few pics if anybody wants them....sh

Shuff's pics of the road under construction:

316000sqmtsjackson53hs1.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson51hq5.jpg

The Great Views:

316000sqmtsjackson56qr9.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson50fi1.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson49re2.jpg

Paid for by the international tourists; already of benifit to the domestic/Dominican cattlemen:

316000sqmtsjackson16wc5.jpg

FRANCiNA

Jul 26, 2007
I was in Nagua two weeks ago for vacation..the road is under construction is going to be good because instead of 4 hours it will only take 2 hours to go to Santo Domingo(the captital). I hope by next summer there would be flights from the east coast from the USA because it's closer to travel through there. I coulded see the plane from my mother house in Nagua.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
rincon - las galeras

andy, you think that there will be a road along the bayfrom rincon, back behind colorado project then connecting to playita road? if you've heard of any such road, then any idea how far they'll set it back from the ocean?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
andy, you think that there will be a road along the bayfrom rincon, back behind colorado project then connecting to playita road? if you've heard of any such road, then any idea how far they'll set it back from the ocean?

It's my understanding that the Samana-Santo Domingo highway will become the existing road from the village of Rincon to it's intersection at the main highway on the other side of the open mine a few miles outside of Las Galeras. They are currently working on major repair/resurfacing of this part of the Rincon road at the intersection but I think this is because of the installation of the aquaduct. Much of the highway between Las Galeras and Samana has been torn up digging a 3' wide trench to lay the new pipe which looks to be at least 18" in diameter.

I'd heard there is going to be a road along the edge of the bay, basically following the old trail which currently passes THROUGH the Colorado project and becomes a small road as it turns away from the bay about 400-600 yards before Playita on it's way to Las Galeras. This road intersects the main road (not the highway) in the old pueblo about 1/4 mile west of the main road's intersection with the Playita road. Of course, eventually there will be roads all back through that area as it develops but construction of them will be the responsibility of the property owners and developers.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Las Americas-Sanchez Hwy???

Can anyone update us on the new tollroad/hwy from SD to Samana? The roads in the Samana area are pretty rough, as they are installing the new waterline (INAPA), as Andy has noted. I don't know when they plan to resurface the existing roads they have torn up., but hopefully the will begin before Christmas 2007. If they do not resurface soon, the roads will become imposssible to drive on. They are refilling the ditch they made, but it is only dirt... Wont last long..;)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Construction of Santo Domingo-Samana highway’s 2nd stage begins
1X1.gif
SANTO DOMING.- The contract to begin construction of the Santo Domingo-Samana highway’s second stage, at a cost of US$103 million, was signed yesterday by Public Works minister V?ctor Diaz R?a and the representative of the company Atlantic Tourism Boulevar, Arm?n Garcia.

It includes construction of the road circuit linking the Atlantic coast towns Nagua and Sanchez, to Saman?; Samana-Las Terrenas until the airport at Catey, and to Rincon Molinillos, a total of 123 kilometers, estimated to last two years.

Diaz R?a said the Santo Domingo-Samana (north-south) highway network will encompass all of the Northeastern region’s tourism destinations, satisfying the needs of Samana province’s communities and the tourists who visit them.

For years motorists have demanded the construction of a fast north-south route to Samana, and to spur the economic development of the country’s northeast.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Las Americas-Sanchez Road

I was recently on this new road (106 Km), and it appears that they will not have it complete for quite some time. I was under the understanding, by all the press releases that the new tollroad would be operational by Jan 2008. There is no way that will happen. It appears that it will take at least another 8-12 months before they even think about placing this 106 km section into service. That means, the El Cathey-LT-Rincon portion may be ready sometime in the next 5-10 years timeframe. I see the DR has too may irons (projects) in the fire. The Metro Project is over budget and behind schedule. Pres. LF announce the Metro will roll on Feb. 27, 2008, but how? People pushing a single rail car for 100 meters????;)