Encuentro Beach Shacks Bulldozed today in Cabarete

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
LMAO - no one is being intimidated. The beach is open, PointBreak is serving delicious tacos, the surf schools seem to be thriving and there were a LOT of tourists out in the water again yesterday. If anything malicious happens I'll be sure to let y'all know..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LMAO - no one is being intimidated. The beach is open, PointBreak is serving delicious tacos, the surf schools seem to be thriving and there were a LOT of tourists out in the water again yesterday. If anything malicious happens I'll be sure to let y'all know..

I am glad to hear that. Is the old road open again for vehicular traffic?

Sep 22, 2009

Love Point Break

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Free at last? Encuentro, that is?

Yup, it is open.

As long as the original road remains open to vehicles. and no illegal construction is done within the 60 meter mark .the battle may have been won to make Encuentro free again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am glad to hear that. Is the old road open again for vehicular traffic?

Yup, it is open.

From a question I asked on Facebook a few days ago, to another post today on Facebook, The road is still NOT OPEN to vehicular traffic as the court ordered:

Code:
Jorge Madiel Sanchez is with Jesus Castillo and 10 others.
August 2, 2018
Director de Medio Ambiente de Puerto Plata dice que la Junta Distrital de Cabarete es la responsable de abrir y mantener abierto el camino viejo que comunica a Playa Encuentro, el cual lo mantiene cerrado una compañia privada.

Google Translate: Director of the environment of Puerto Plata says that the district board of cabarete is responsible for opening and keeping open the old road that communicates to playa encounter, [B]which keeps it closed is a private company.[/B]

https://www.facebook.com/aestahora/videos/1958255460902589/

Go to the video and you can see the rocks still blocking the road.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
From a question I asked on Facebook a few days ago, to another post today on Facebook, The road is still NOT OPEN to vehicular traffic as the court ordered:

Code:
Jorge Madiel Sanchez is with Jesus Castillo and 10 others.
August 2, 2018
Director de Medio Ambiente de Puerto Plata dice que la Junta Distrital de Cabarete es la responsable de abrir y mantener abierto el camino viejo que comunica a Playa Encuentro, el cual lo mantiene cerrado una compañia privada.

Google Translate: Director of the environment of Puerto Plata says that the district board of cabarete is responsible for opening and keeping open the old road that communicates to playa encounter, [B]which keeps it closed is a private company.[/B]

https://www.facebook.com/aestahora/videos/1958255460902589/

Go to the video and you can see the rocks still blocking the road.
I were there a couple of days ago, using the old road. The old road were blocked and a big security guard with shotgun guarding the entrance telling me I could only pass walking, no moto or car.

NB. You can enter the beach at the other end with car without problems, but the old road remains blocked. Signs with private property/construction in progress there and no trespassing. Google map coordinates 19.780562, -70.446312 or QHJ3+6F

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

NB. You can enter the beach at the other end with car without problems, but the old road remains blocked. Signs with private property/construction in progress there and no trespassing. Google map coordinates 19.780562, -70.446312 or QHJ3+6F
English is not my native language, but I still wonder why someone can not read what I wrote
You can enter the beach at the other end with car without problems
And the old road from Cabarete is still closed, map coordinates given in my previous post

Jeezus, must stop posting here, always someone that disputes facts

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for the old road update. It will be nice to be able to use that scenic detour again when it returns to being a thoroughfare not requiring the traveler to turn around and going back the way they came.

Don't get too discouraged about that which you cannot change. Education policies in many places are failing miserably preparing students in the use and comprehension of the English language. Much easier for the reader to just misunderstand and then lash out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/04/-american-students-reading/557915/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

No , it is not not "wide open" . Interesting they did not take pictures of the rocks illegally blocking the road that are still there.

English is not my native language, but I still wonder why someone can not read what I wrote
And the old road from Cabarete is still closed, map coordinates given in my previous post

I hear you loud and clear etolw. Maybe someday the road will be open again, but it seems unlikely.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
My replies are based on the fact that you guys keep ranting on and on about the "old" road being closed. That gives the impression that the beach is inaccessible which in-turn hurts the vendors and surf schools down there. Most people are not going to read the 24 pages of this thread, so statements like "the road to Encuentro is closed" or "a security guard with shotgun stopped me for entering" are misleading. Whatever "old" road you keep referring to was probably on private property, they closed it off and made a new public entrance..

Again, I surf Encuentro almost every single morning. If access to the beach gets blocked I will be the first one on here screaming about it.

Jan 17, 2009
“they closed it off and made a new public entrance.. ”

Not really public. There is a gate with a guard at the entrance. Yes, you can get through, no problem but it is a private entrance with temporary public access.

I agree though that it is not a good idea to give the impression that the beach cannot be accessed by car or on foot.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
My replies are based on the fact that you guys keep ranting on and on about the "old" road being closed. That gives the impression that the beach is inaccessible which in-turn hurts the vendors and surf schools down there. Most people are not going to read the 24 pages of this thread, so statements like "the road to Encuentro is closed" or "a security guard with shotgun stopped me for entering" are misleading. Whatever "old" road you keep referring to was probably on private property, they closed it off and made a new public entrance..

Again, I surf Encuentro almost every single morning. If access to the beach gets blocked I will be the first one on here screaming about it.

From what you are writing I get the impression that you are not much concerned about illegal privatization of the beach/road, and you do not seem to know anything about the background of that «whatever old road»
Suggest you google «encuentro camino viejo» or just read some posts in this thread, e.g. #84

If what I wrote in post#228 is considered rant by you, or made the impression that access to the beach were closed, I can live with that.

If the day comes when you scream about access closed, I believe it is to late. Better fight the issue before. There exist a court order to open the old road, but it is not enforced, some says corrupt politicans?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am glad people like you still get to surf there without any perceived problem.

There is still an illegal closure of the old road. That is still an issue for all the reasons etolw pointed out.

I have come to learn that people who are not interested in laws to be enforced in other areas are also the ones that don't care about the laws as they apply at Encuentro. So be it, that is the way people are.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I am glad people like you still get to surf there without any perceived problem.

There is still an illegal closure of the old road. That is still an issue for all the reasons etolw pointed out.

The problem is that all access is now private, it can be closed anytime by the landowners. The Camino Viejo was the only public access and had now been closed illegally leaving no public vehicular access only a private parking lot.

If Camino Viejo does not get open, structures will be built close to there so it can never be open again...

Now people say ok, we still have access through this private road and parking, surf is good... but then in a couple of years this private access road could be closed. Boom. No beach access.

Text copied from https://m.facebook.com/groups/59527172982

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Now people say ok, we still have access through this private road and parking, surf is good... but then in a couple of years this private access road could be closed. Boom. No beach access.

Text copied from https://m.facebook.com/groups/59527172982

There is a gov't entity that dictates whether a property owner needs to give public access to waterfront. They review building plans, do site visits and make a ruling. It would be no different at Encuentro.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
There is a gov't entity that dictates whether a property owner needs to give public access to waterfront. They review building plans, do site visits and make a ruling. It would be no different at Encuentro.

The Constitutional Court? :cheeky: Frankly, I have not much knowledge of Courts here, but have an impression that cash is still king.

The Constitutional Court of the Dominican Republic ratified by free public access to the populous El Encuentro beach located in the Cabarete municipal district.

The judges of that High Court issued judgment number TC / 0106/19, dated last Thursday May 27 of the current year where ratification of sentence number 271-2018-SSEN-00588, issued by the first Chamber of the Civil Chamber and Comercial de Puerto Plata, on September 26, 2018.

This sentence of the Constitutional Court which was published on its official website, establishes the immediate reopening of the public road that gives access to El Encuentro beach, which has been closed in the district board of Cabarete and by the companies Inversiones Calpe SRL and Mesa Invesment Limited C by A.

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2019/06/constitutional-court-issues-ruling-ratifying-free-public-access-to-beach-el-encuentro-de-cabarete/

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
No, two different subjects. That's about the old Camino Viejo, which may have been abandoned by the town long ago.

I was talking about beach access from RT 5.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, two different subjects. That's about the old Camino Viejo, which may have been abandoned by the town long ago.

I was talking about beach access from RT 5.

The illegal closure of Camino Viejo is a main part of this subject because it is an illegal closure of that road. The so-called abandonment you mention does not affect the courts decision to declare this road should be open to the public. The fact that it has been a road for many years is relevant and so is its location within the mandated public access zone.

The leaders of the local towns of Sosua/Cabarete are the ones taking no action to the court orders to re-open the road. The rule of law is being dis-obeyed.

One can speculate why they are not taking the action the court has ordered. This is the real subject here. Can you gue$$ why the local leader$ are not forcing thi$ road to be re-opened?