EYEGLASS PURCHASE

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The detail with transitions lenses in tropical countries is the hotter the weather, the slower it activates and rarely gets really dark. It doesn't activate much either inside a car because you don't have the sun shining directly on them. I ended up splurging a bit last year and got a pair that had sun glass magnetic clip (they're not common anymore as a combo) plus the transition on my regular lens. This way when I really need protection, I clip on the darker, polarized clip and when I don't need it, my normal lens takes over.

This may vary on the type of transitions and specific manufacturer of such. I have found my transitions activate quicker in warmer climates such as that of the Caribbean and Mediterranean based nations. Cloudy weather included, and just as such within vehicles. You must remember that UV rays can penetrate cloudy skies, this is why some skin types tend to burn even when it is overcast.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Transition lenses can be bifocal transitions, not just for light so potus what type of transition are you talking about. I have Nikon bi-focal lenses that transition from near sighted portion to reading portion without a line, the larger the area of the lenses that is covered by this transition the more expense the lenses.
those are not Transitions lenes you are speaking of,those are progressive lenses. Transions lenses go from almost clear indoors to sunglasses when out doors. Progressive lenses have distance correction in the top,gradually progressing to reading correction in the bottom of the lens.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I can't specifically answer your question about DR optical opportunities as my DNA precludes me from even considering such a steeple chase.

I went to an optician here in the DR and got a semi legible updated prescription. I went online to one of the many discount eyewear sites in the US. I uploaded my prescription and ordered a very cheap pair of glasses. When they arrived, I tried them out to make sure I could see things to my satisfaction, went to a Puerto Plata eyeglass place where they helped bend the frames to fit my face. While there, I was floored by the cost to have this place produce my next set of glasses locally.

Satisfied with the ordered pair and able to get them fitted easily, I went back online and purchased a better pair of everyday glasses and a couple pairs of sunglasses with polarized lenses and all the coatings.

Cheaper in the end, a better frame selection and better coating/lens options online than available to me in Puerto Plata. Things may be different in the big cities, but like I said, I choose not to dink around procuring the important things in this country. It's so much easier, better quality workmanship and a better replacement guarantee doing it from home, imo.
The online eyeglass places have the worst of the worst quality you can buy,ALL OF THEM. I have been a licensed optician for 30 years and at one time produced over 1200 pairs of custom eyewear a day. Take what I tell you to the bank,those online places use the lowest quality materials money can buy.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Get a local script and then order online, works out a lot cheaper. You should also get your script checked at a couple of different places. You get good and bad optometrists.

I remember many moons ago explaining to an "optometrist" in an Optica Lopez store why the Auto-refractor (default settings) they used needed to be set to a vertex distance of 13.5mm and not 12mm (Yes, I have a background in optics). She had no idea that Asian eyes had a shorter distance from the back curve of the glasses lens to the cornea, she was shocked but changed the setttings. After that, I always got a second opinion on my script :)
on low powered prescriptions it won't matter much but on higher powers absolutely. Very few opticians have a distometer let alone know how to use one,lol.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sorry Tom, I call bias.

I have been completely satisfied with my eyeglass purchases and not a single pair has ever come from an optician. I need you guys for the prescription, but I walk straight out the door with the piece of paper, and you know why.

https://20somethingfinance.com/why-eyeglasses-are-so-expensive-how-you-can-pay-less/

I worked with Rodenstock in Australia many moons ago, the markups were humongous.
Progressive blanks, landed cost $6-7 pair. Finished lenses to the end user, $250-300 pair. Frames, much the same. Many of the budget retailers had a very simple formula on frames back then, double it and add $30. Cost $2. Retail $34.

I'm with you on this, get the script and shop around for the frames and lenses, especially in the DR.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It is almost cheaper to have and operation than buy glasses. I got each eye done fore $1,200 in Portland, Oregon.
And no it wasn't at Sam's Haircare, Vision and Tire Center.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
It is almost cheaper to have and operation than buy glasses. I got each eye done fore $1,200 in Portland, Oregon.
And no it wasn't at Sam's Haircare, Vision and Tire Center.

That may very well be, but not everyone can have the laser surgery due to medical reasons. It is not something that applies to all......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just send your Rx to Warby Parker and have them shipped to Miami, EPS.
If the Rx is wrong, or you need to return, 30 day money back, no questions asked.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Santo Domingo, make an appointment for an eye check up at Clinica Oftalmologica de Santo Domingo (Calle Desiderio Arias) and then buy your lenses there. They have a good selection.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Well, I took the plunge......I went to Optica Lopez on the Lincoln today and ordered my glasses. I got a prescribtion from Clinica Cabral (One of the pest Doctors Practices I have ever encountered anywhere.). All went well. Impressive store and knowledgeble staff. Plus they had a great selection of frames that would apply for me. I will have mu glasses on Thursday. Prioce for Image result for photochromic Photochromic witrh a heavy prescribtion: RDPESOS 11,000 and frame 10,0000.
I will know next week when I pick them up....I will provide an update.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sympathize. i switched to contacts because my glasses were so thick i could only see straight ahead, anything else was heavily distorted. even with the lenses i cannot see as well as someone with correct vision.

last time i went to the eye doctor i could not see anything on the vision board. nada. she was, like, "hmm, let me try this, how many fingers can you see?" i said: "fingers???!!!". i could barely see she lifted her arm. true story.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I know 13 years ago it was a bit more than USD1,000 ....simple glasses.....nothing fancy.

whoa, I hope all works out well. I have I guess a simple prescription and USA is easy $300 with the bells and whistles. I am curious because medical and dental is so cheap here that if glasses were made here I would think they too would be a good deal compared to USA prices.

Like you, I don't go the glasses online route. I like to see the frames, try them on, and have them fitted when done. Plus the assurance if I need an emergency fix there is a place local.

I will do and have done replacement lenses online but a few comments in this thread has me thinking on what is the quality of the lenses you get when buying online.