Failed war on Drugs - Dominican Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I really believe that hemp is where common sense policies will end. There are just too many fronts when it comes to trying to wage war against the real dangerous drugs. Too many People are making too much money to simply regulate their business out of existence. Some battles just aren't worth fighting. Opium production in SE Asia, Mexico and Afghanistan is protected by the same people who are getting paid to stop it at the borders. They're like stockbrokers, they get paid no matter what happens to the investment.

actually, GD, i know two guys from London who ran heroin for some of the members of Afghanistan's parliament. yup..the same guys with whom the US government is in bed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And everyone knows how the Kennedy's made their money during prohibition. When prohibition ended they had to find other ways (like politics) while Teddy stuck with the alcohol in a bad way.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes it is "unfortunate" and also immensely ignorant not to know that keeping drugs illegal makes the police complicit in drug dealing activities because of the immense profits available. So they will replace the current crew and the next crew of police will soon be corrupted.

It is a never ending cycle. If you made $500 US a month wouldn't you look for ways to augment your salary?
They have nothing to lose except this crumby job. It should surprise no one especially many gov officials doing it on a larger scale.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Low Wages" are never an "Excuse" to become a criminal.:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
Those who "Buy" in to THAT, also buy into,...."Poor women have to prostitute themselves to support their children"!
People are criminals & prostitutes, sometimes both at the same time, because they WANT to be!
Their children still have nothing, and they just get "HIGH" with the money!
AND, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care why women prostitute themselves, I'm just happy they DO!!!!
As for the "criminals",...."Not So Much"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It may not be an excuse but it certainly makes the decision a lot simpler. If they were paid a living wage possibly there wouldn't be an epidemic of police on the take. Obviously the many of the current people on the police force think so. It is easy for you to say it isn't an excuse. Many don't have the same opportunities in life. Not defending them, just saying.

LTSteve

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It may not be an excuse but it certainly makes the decision a lot simpler. If they were paid a living wage possibly there wouldn't be an epidemic of police on the take. Obviously the many of the current people on the police force think so. It is easy for you to say it isn't an excuse. Many don't have the same opportunities in life. Not defending them, just saying.

LTSteve

It's not the wage, it's the culture. Cops who get to know what the law& order business is really about sometimes decide to switch teams and many of those become the most successful criminals. They are the extreme rare example and they are driven by greed. Most are regular People from regular Families with regular values and are trying to be the difference between right and wrong but a free meal here, a couple free drinks there, a little something to take home to the Wife or a little tax free pocket cash to look the other way while Guys are gambling or doing something else where there are no "victims" and they're on the road to Hell. Not the Hell of burning lakes of fire, the Hell of no longer being capable of distinguishing where the line is and whether or not they've crossed it and whether or not they can get back. This happens in every culture, only the pay scale changes.

I once heard a Guy state that he "couldn't make it on less than $80K a year" in a conversation with him. I remember thinking "I could 'make it' on what I spend in tips". People perceive need differently.

People keep talking about others using poverty as an "excuse" for committing crimes? Laughable! Poverty is not an "excuse" for committing crime, it's a catalyst. Early in my life I worked at a lot of different jobs, some were hard and dirty, some were not so much but I worked at them to satisfy my financial requirements for food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc. just like everybody else. I was lucky for two reasons, firstly because there were jobe out there and secondly because there was no work which I felt was beneath me as long as it wasn't illegal, immoral or unethical. I have often looked back to those days of "getting by" and there is no doubt in my mind that if those opportunities hadn't been available that I would have only had two choices. Three really but "Lay down in the street and die" was never a consideration for me. In the absence of work, you can beg or you can steal. I would have chosen the latter, no doubt. This is why I have spent all these decades busting my butt, because I don't want that to be me. Some are not so fortunate and not for lack of trying, there is simply no alternative for them.

The only way possible to change the culture of corruption in government, law enforcement, religion or any other authority based societal infrastructure is from the top, down. Period.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

LTSteve

It sounds logical, but there is no such wage that cannot be "outbid" by those in the illegal drug business. Prohibition drives up the prices and almost no level of authority is immune to wanting more money and being a complicit part of the drug trade

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It sounds logical, but there is no such wage that cannot be "outbid" by those in the illegal drug business. Prohibition drives up the prices and almost no level of authority is immune to wanting more money and being a complicit part of the drug trade

You know what I hate the most about Mexico's drug wars? The Guys getting paid peanuts and putting their lives and the lives of their families on the line every day trying to restore order in a nation that's gone insane with greed are the ones who have to cover THEIR faces. We can only hope that it doesn't come to that in the rest of the Americas.

Mexicos-Drug-War-007.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You know what I hate the most about Mexico's drug wars? The Guys getting paid peanuts and putting their lives and the lives of their families on the line every day trying to restore order in a nation that's gone insane with greed are the ones who have to cover THEIR faces. We can only hope that it doesn't come to that in the rest of the Americas.

Mexicos-Drug-War-007.jpg

Just another consequence of doing something (the drug war) that has no chance of being won.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Mexicos-Drug-War-007.jpg

Yes, they do this for the love of Mexico and to restore order,:laugh:

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
The only way possible to change the culture of corruption in government, law enforcement, religion or any other authority based societal infrastructure is from the top, down. Period.

In my opinion it is the opposite. Real change can only be made when the people at the top are held accountable by the "people" at the bottom. This is how revolutions start, and is the only way in history that large scale changes have been made.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my opinion it is the opposite. Real change can only be made when the people at the top are held accountable by the "people" at the bottom. This is how revolutions start, and is the only way in history that large scale changes have been made.

Not that I disagree with your concept, but how does that apply directly to prohibition and the failed war on drugs? Money also has a way of corrupting that no ground swell can overcome. And I don't see a ground swell even happening for support of the drug war. That war was started at the very top and it has proven very lucrative for the police, prisons and criminals.

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
The government / military are not the bunch of keystone cops they are made out to be. They know where the airstrips are, where the storage is, where the transfers take place, and who the people in charge are. The fact that over 50% of them are on the take means nothing will ever be done about it. They will conduct "surveliance", and make the occational arrest, to keep the DEA and population at large happy.

If pressure came from the "people", as in we will vote in any candidate who puts a stop to the drug trade, it could and would be accomplished. Through military force you raid the and destroy the airstrip, storage, and distribution, and while you are at it kill / arrest the major players - they could stop it quickly. The cartels would not stop the sale of drugs, but they would find another kick-off point other than the DR. They use the DR, because the governement / military allow them to use the DR.

Look at Cuba. It was rampent with gambling, drugs, and alcohol and run by the american mafia. After the revolutiion, Fidel (who controlled the military) but a stop to that BS in a matter of months, and the people supported him.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The government / military are not the bunch of keystone cops they are made out to be. They know where the airstrips are, where the storage is, where the transfers take place, and who the people in charge are. The fact that over 50% of them are on the take means nothing will ever be done about it. They will conduct "surveliance", and make the occational arrest, to keep the DEA and population at large happy.

If pressure came from the "people", as in we will vote in any candidate who puts a stop to the drug trade, it could and would be accomplished. Through military force you raid the and destroy the airstrip, storage, and distribution, and while you are at it kill / arrest the major players - they could stop it quickly. The cartels would not stop the sale of drugs, but they would find another kick-off point other than the DR. They use the DR, because the governement / military allow them to use the DR.

Look at Cuba. It was rampent with gambling, drugs, and alcohol and run by the american mafia. After the revolutiion, Fidel (who controlled the military) but a stop to that BS in a matter of months, and the people supported him.

Inspirational.

Now, everybody who wants to turn the D.R, into Cuba hit the "dislike" button on this post.

800_x5tk7zlzjtpelrduvpqne6za8pzbger7.jpg

1128-OCUBA-Cuba-Private-Property_full_600.jpg

ss-110415-cuba2011-01.grid-8x2.jpg

Finding a Castro for the Dominican Republic is not the answer. Leaders lead by example. If the President, judges, legislators, military and police leaders steal, their subordinates will steal. If those with access to everything take nothing, then their subordinate will feel the shame of their actions if they take anything. A culture within an organization starts at the top of the organization and is dictated not by what those at the top say but what they do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I might have to amend my statement to say that prohibition may only work in a totalitarian dictatorship. As mentioned above, that is not a reasonable solution to being to bear on the failed war on drugs.

Feb 15, 2005
it really sicken me that idiots like you trying to do me like that!

what makes you think i wanted to borrow 300 euros!

at this moment i only have little pesos and my cards don't work because i have a limit! i just moved so i needed to pay 2 months in advance and deposit and besides that i had a lot of costs! i ran through all my cash money so if ever i need something i just use my card! but because i already overused my limit i have nooo access to money!!!

i once sent my little brother in case he needed money, from the money that is left i still have 300 euro!

there is nooo reason to lose money over western union costs and exchange costs so i really at this moment need ever single peso till i can use my card again!

i can ask my fellow dutch men if they are willing to help me out! how?

1) my brother meets someone of their friends or family in the netherlands or he transfers the 300 euro on their dutch bank account!

2) now that person has the 300 euro, if that person has 300 euro here or has a lot of pesos he then can pay me out the rate of caribe express which is better than western union. in that way i don't lose nothing!

so yes, serious scream for help! so don't act stupid cos in this case it's no laughing matter! don't become a keyboard thug, just ask me what was going on! 300 euro is like 17000 peso so i'll be fine later but now i am not!

Dog, I never come to anyone's defense here or anywhere, on any blog. But Dude, you put yourself out there. Some people will feel for your plight, no doubt. But a lot of folks don't give a f*ck about you or your plight. Everyone is trying to make THEIR own needs met. What most may offer you is a heart felt, "get well soon" or "we have faith you'll make it through".

You have a great post and as you make personal acquittances, someone will help you out. In the interim, my advice to you is, don't further your personal matters by publicly stating them worldwide.

Feb 15, 2005
It's not the wage, it's the culture. Cops who get to know what the law& order business is really about sometimes decide to switch teams and many of those become the most successful criminals. They are the extreme rare example and they are driven by greed. Most are regular People from regular Families with regular values and are trying to be the difference between right and wrong but a free meal here, a couple free drinks there, a little something to take home to the Wife or a little tax free pocket cash to look the other way while Guys are gambling or doing something else where there are no "victims" and they're on the road to Hell. Not the Hell of burning lakes of fire, the Hell of no longer being capable of distinguishing where the line is and whether or not they've crossed it and whether or not they can get back. This happens in every culture, only the pay scale changes.

I once heard a Guy state that he "couldn't make it on less than $80K a year" in a conversation with him. I remember thinking "I could 'make it' on what I spend in tips". People perceive need differently.

People keep talking about others using poverty as an "excuse" for committing crimes? Laughable! Poverty is not an "excuse" for committing crime, it's a catalyst. Early in my life I worked at a lot of different jobs, some were hard and dirty, some were not so much but I worked at them to satisfy my financial requirements for food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc. just like everybody else. I was lucky for two reasons, firstly because there were jobe out there and secondly because there was no work which I felt was beneath me as long as it wasn't illegal, immoral or unethical. I have often looked back to those days of "getting by" and there is no doubt in my mind that if those opportunities hadn't been available that I would have only had two choices. Three really but "Lay down in the street and die" was never a consideration for me. In the absence of work, you can beg or you can steal. I would have chosen the latter, no doubt. This is why I have spent all these decades busting my butt, because I don't want that to be me. Some are not so fortunate and not for lack of trying, there is simply no alternative for them.

I agree. How can the common man follow well, if his role models in society are not good role models.

Status
Not open for further replies.