Felix Sanchez wins gold for the Dominican Republic in 400m hurdles in London

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
RD$6 million for silver, and RD$4 million for bronze.

See:

DR1 - Daily News Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Ten million pesos for Olympic medal winners
Vice President of the Republic Rafael Alburquerque handed over the flag to the Dominican Olympic Committee and announced that the government would award RD$10 million to the Dominican athlete that wins gold in the London Olympic Games, RD$6 million to the athlete who wins silver and RD$4 million to bronze medal winners.

If the volleyball team wins gold (which is unlikely), each player will receive a million pesos, which is twelve million for the team, six million for silver and two million for bronze.

The coaches are also not forgotten. If their athlete wins gold, they will receive RD$5 million, RD$2 million for silver, and RD$500,000 for bronze, as reported in Hoy.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Presidency reported it gave RD$1 million to the coach and RD$1 million to the president of the Federation of Athletics.

DR1 - Daily News Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Checks issued to Olympic medalists
Yesterday afternoon, Tuesday 14 August, President Leonel Fernandez handed over symbolic checks to Olympic medalists Felix Sanchez and Luguelin Santos at the Presidential Palace. Sports Minister Felipe (Jay) Payano said the money has been deposited in the Federation of Athletics bank account.

Sanchez was awarded RD$10 million for his gold medal at the London Olympics, while Santos, who won silver, received RD$6 million. Jose Rubio, Luguelin's trainer, received RD$1 million and Athletics Federation president Gerardo Suero Correa received another RD$1 million.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
weightlifters from Kazackstan??? got 250,000$$$

John Boyter?? If you ever saw where that young lady trains you would probably faint, vomit or cry...None of the US, China or any European would even enter that gym....pathetic...

For those who think it is all roses: Gabby Douglas' mother had to file for bankruptcy this year. That might be a thing of the past if Gabby's agent has anything to do with it.
The Lochte's are in danger of foreclosure of their home in Florida....

All is not well in paradise. Team GB spent 100 million pounds, the RD$68 million (supposedly) that's chicken feed....

Know you all: The DR has the potential to be greater than Cuba, if things were done right!!

HB

I agree, but it would take at least a generation to accomplish. Cuba has been at it for a long time.

RD must continue to invest in its athletes and reward them at all competing levels, not only the Olympics. I don?t know if this is being done now. Also I am not sure if athletes are sponsored by ?Corporate Dominican?.

I am sure Felix must?ve been thinking about another 10 mil while pursuing the London Olympic dream. I would have!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
This guy isnt even a real Dominican- he is a Dom York, which I immediately recognized by his... For someone born in NY and grew up in southern California, why would he represent such a sad, backwards place like the DR? !

Where on earth are moderators when you need one?!!
Sounds like this creature is bitter because Felix didn't represent the place where his parents happened to move to before he was born...representing instead the country and people of his entire ancestral lineage... weird, uh?... why consider your entire ancestral lineage when you can just look at a piece of paper instead???...why indeed!!!

BTW, many countries award citizenship only "by blood" and could't care less where anyone was born (which may be entirely fortuitous)...yeah, the poster of course knew that...want to bet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The reality is that Felix Sanchez wanted to compete for the United States, but he didn't make the team. It was only then that the possibility of making the Dominican team came to mind. He didn't even know how to make the contact. It was Manuel Mota, former Dodgers player, who made the contact with local sports writer Bienvenido Rojas that got things rolling in the Dominican Republic and he was accepted in 1996. Remember he wasn't famous back then when he competed in 1999 for the Dominican Republic in the Pan Am Games.

http://www.diariolibre.com/deportes/2012/08/08/i347129_mota-los-oros-felix.html

Last edited:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the DR... Parades and Parties . Met the President. I was only here for 24 hours. I was in third. ....

Nice excuses. As long as it is good enough for him, what else matters?

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
The reality is that Felix Sanchez wanted to compete for the United States, but he didn't make the team. It was only then that the possibility of making the Dominican team came to mind. He didn't even know how to make the contact. It was Manuel Mota, former Dodgers player, who made the contact with local sports writer Bienvenido Rojas that got things rolling in the Dominican Republic and he was accepted in 1996. Remember he wasn't famous back then when he competed in 1999 for the Dominican Republic in the Pan Am Games.

Mota y los oros de F?lix - DiarioLibre.com
Well, Dolores, I don't know which interest came first...From the linked article it seems he had been TRYING to get in touch with the Dominican federation since he was a teenager but had not been able to contact them...which suggests that he may have tried to make the US team, because he had not been successful contacting the proper authorities in the DR...back then, the mid 90's, not many DR institutions had web presence.

F?lix S?nchez en ese amplio reportaje dice: "Desde 1996, estuve haciendo esfuerzos por contactar a las autoridades del atletismo dominicano. Mi inter?s era tan grande que me puse a buscar en el internet y no encontr? ninguna direcci?n de la Federaci?n Dominicana, eso me decepcion? bastante, adem?s de que me sorprend? porque todos los pa?ses ten?an una...Consult? a un amigo que me dijo conocer al ex pelotero Manuel Mota, coach de los Dodgers de Los Angeles, hice el contacto y m?s adelante ?l (Mota) se comunic? con el periodista Bienvenido Rojas, editor deportivo del peri?dico El Siglo, quien hizo un reportaje sobre m?, el cual sirvi? para que los dirigentes de la Federaci?n y el Comit? Ol?mpico (Jos? Joaqu?n Puello) se interesaran en conocerme y por intermedio de ese periodista y Mota se me contact?".

So, from that text it sounds as though his initial idea was to compete for the DR from the start...In 1996 when he started trying to contact the DR sports authorities he was only 18 (a freshman in college)! So he still had plenty of time to try to make the US team if that is what he wanted.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Not that it matters, but S?nchez did not write that report; it was written for him.
Who said Sanchez wrote the report?

The linked article simply provides a QUOTE from FS included in a more extensive report published a while back...if it was a report about FS, they necessarily needed to talk to him and include quotes from interviewing him....Lots of articles and reports include quotes from people. It is standard procedure, as far as I know.

No one has said FS wrote the report himself.

Incidentally, here is the ORIGINAL archived report mentioned above, written by Juan Mercado for Revista Ahora:
F?lix S?nchez “Ser dominicano tiene sus ventajas” (to be Dominican can be advantageous)

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012...ra.com.do/Edicion1217/SECCIONES/Deportes.html

Last edited: