Flipped Schools

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are ways around this. Several years ago, I invited a friend to visit. She is a former Fulbright Scholar who spent a year in Colombia teaching teachers how to teach English. Before she arrived, I made arrangements for her to present a seminar in methods of teaching English to those who were currently teaching the language in Puerto Plata. The seminar was well received and quite popular. I still hear from the participants from time to time.

you are well connected, and i can see this happening in that manner. however, how could we duplicate this on a larger scale, so that the guy in San Jose de Ocoa could benefit at the same time as the guy in Dajabon?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I think you still need to instill in them that the possibility to succeed only exists with education AND EXTREMLY HARD WORK. I think three things are required, Math skills, Spanish Skills, and critical think skills.
I certainly would never discourage a child's dreams.

Talking about the lower spectrum, educational dreams are seldom instilled by illiterate mothers and non existent fathers.
Mothers struggle to put food on the table, sometimes there is just water with sugar.
In the important formative years children do not get used to educational discipline.
Get up at seven go to school every day. This will translate into look for work, get up and work every day.
In the first years of school, attendance and drop out rates are critical for future success.
The women who worked their way up to be bank tellers or managers while managing families are a positive example.
The upper ten percent who attend universities to become doctors, engineers, lawyers or members of the government do so with family support. Their parents know the importance of education and they have the means to assure it.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
gorgon,

I have a third an possibly a better link to keep informed. Let me know after you digest the previous one.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The Ugly Truth

Have you ever watched dominican women in formal social situation (not family gatherings)? men will talk. women, unless they are seated in the pack and can chirp between each other, will not talk. they just stare glassy eyed into space. they are like vegetables. they have nothing to say. they know nothing. they have no interest. me, i do not miss a chance to learn something new. i always join the conversation, i show interest. they look like real life dolls, pretty looking but empty. if i try to strike a conversation with one of those vegetables they only have one question, whether i have kids. when i say i do not and explain why i never will they are thrown off the mark. they do not know what to say. they are in social blind alley. they turn away from me, i'm an outcast now, they have nothing to tell me.

i observed this among all classes. at times i am aware that women in question have decent education or even jobs requiring a great deal of professionalism. yet they have nothing to say. incredible.

This is not endemic to Dominicans.
You can observe the same in Asia, Africa and other Latin countries.
Explanations are void.

On my travels I now tell them that I have 6 boys four girls, I'm on business and mum is home taking care of the kids.
I'm regarded as a potent real man and duly honoured. This avoids useless discussion and drinks are offered.
If they would only know the truth.:surprised:eek::cry:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is little positive incentive for a child to be educated here.
"Papi", who for far too many, is either not in the home, or only,"visits" on Sunday afternoon, and then just to "Get His" from between "Mami's Legs"!
"Yup", "Mami" not only made the first mistake, but she then repeats it again & again!!!!
"Papi", does not support her, or his kids, but "Mami" makes more & more of them, OFTEN, with the same "Loser"!!!
Who are the "Heroes" to a young Dominican, Sports Stars, Entertainment Stars,Corrupt Politicians,( I Guess I Should Just Say:, "Politicians", cause they are ALL Corrupt!)
Prostitutes, they have nice clothes, "Celulares", and some even live in "Europa"!!!!
Drug Dealers,..."All Of The Above, PLUS, Mansions, and "Jepetas" too.
The "Ricos", y "Politicos", want the "Status Quo" to go on forever!!!
Cheap labor, and the "Ignorant Masses", are easily controlled.
Dominicans never do any "Advance Planning".
They spend everything they earn, they buy "Tablespoonfuls" of food at the colmado, buy gasoline by the "Cien Peso" amount, you expect them to grasp the, "Study Today", "Earn More Money" in 10 years" concept?????
I never did, and I am "Smart"!
My Favorite reason for hoping "Things" never change was always, "Poor Girls" are EASY, and work on the Cheap!!!
I think a guy like me has to go to Angola to find cheaper prostitutes than here!
AND, although, I have never there, "I'll Pass"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife had to join some instruction of the ministry of education this week, talking about the reform of the curriculum they are proposing, basically trying to copy 'the American system' whatever that may be. She told me that one of the plans is to take over the responsibility of the children starting at 45 days of age, from as early as 7.30 till 6pm, so parents are both able to work.

This happened in Europe, probably in US as well, and is not a good tendency. People are becoming more and more slaves of their desire to have what they can't have now and the government can influence from a very young age in the life's of your children, teaching them what you possibly wouldn't want them to learn and alienating your child from the appropriate authority , the parents.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
If education is so important why newspapers and other media, even DR1

does not have a seccion dedicated to EDUCATION?

There is no end to the articles [threads] that can be generated on that topic

making this thread "sticky" is not enough

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
If the gov does not define the problem, in a nutshell, how are they going to resolve it?

I have not found that, not even in this forum.

Can you?

I dont mean what's causing the problem or what needs to be done... that is a sencondary step.

Aug 21, 2007
I believe that if the teacher is good and the pedagogy, motivating, it is possible to keep large classrooms of students in order. I also believe there is a value of education amongst the poor.

I just returned from one of my charity's iPads Under Trees sessions in a very poor area behind Montellano. (See the Community section of dr1 for more information about this project.) Today, almost 100 children preschool through teenage years worked in pairs, sitting 2 to a plastic chair for a 1/2 hour session playing educational games and doing Google searches on specific topics we provided. All the kids sat and waited patiently on a small wall until their turn came. For some, the wait was 2 hours. We began this project only a month ago and each week there are more kids as the word gets out. Are we doing something special? Not really. Just giving some extra stimulation and expanding learning beyond rote.

You don't need iPads to encourage kids to learn, though. A good teacher and stimulating lessons will also work. For now- as I mentioned before- I suggest the DR invest in training teachers and purchasing educational materials for the classroom. And that does not need to include technology.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly, this is what I mean. It's not easy to control a classroom in general but the problem is so complex that it's hard to even assess where to begin. With respect to the DR problem, I refer specifically to public school education first because that's what is accessible to the majority of the population. There are so many issues ranging from hours of education, to the facilities, to the incompetency of the educators. The environment in the public school system in the DR is not conducive to proper education.

Even if you compare the DR to other Latin American countries, it's still ranks very low. Education is one of the biggest failures for decades of the government in power. Instead of looking to Spain or Europe for help, I think they should look at countries in the region that have a better system and start from there. You have to creep before you walk. The DR government should look at some countries in South America and decipher if their model can be successful in the DR.

-MP.

i had a buddy in a barrio in POP, and i used to drop by his home every so often. he lived in a building beside a schoolhouse. the guy who owned the building rented one space in the structure to a guy who ran a little colmado there. he had the obligatory speakers and the bachata blaring all day, right beside the school.

there is your answer right there. the guy saw no reason why he should not disrupt the school, because just what purpose does education serve, anyway? the building owner saw no reason why he should not rent to a guy who was going to disturb a school, because just what value does education have, anyway? the municipality did not step in and shut the noise down, because who cares if the kids learn? the guy is using the bachata to sell Presidente, so which is more important there?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My son in Boston attended an "After School Program" when he was about 6 years old,
as I was a single Dad and couldn't pick him up until after 5 pm.
The program's coordinator kicked him out.
She said he was influencing the other children, who paid more attention to him than to the teachers.
I TRIED to explain to her that a "Teacher" should be able to "Influence" a 6 year old, and not the other way around.
About 4 weeks later, SHE was fired, and my son was re-instated.
MY Son???
I guess the "Apple DOESN'T fall far from the tree".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
What haven't you found? If you see that there is a problem what are you doing about it? If you have bucks maybe build a school like Bob S, or if poor get involved in some manner. Maybe volunteer at someone else's program such as Lindsay Kaufman's IPODs for kids, and there are lots of other such programs one can help educate kids here in the DR or back in real life too. or start your own program.
Der Fish

As I said, I have not found the real main educational problem in DR defined in a few words, not even in this thread,

Did find only some suggetions and the possible roots to the problem.

What am I doing about it?

1- Trying to find out what THE REST of the people think the problems is, including the gov... [re-read my question in my previous post]

2- offer my solution and/or try to let them know what I think the real the problem is

Wish had people around me to start an school, "like Bos S" did, the best way to make beleive or persuade.

In my whole life I have come close to only one person who had what it takes to start an school, she is in Miami now, supervising a technology program/system for a public school, making a lot of $ too.

She always thanks and remind me and her friends that she got into technology for education because I pushed her.

Regret I dumped her, but we are still very good friends.

If you have the means to contact Bob and Lindsay, tell them I will consider being a volunteer.

I have a plan, for a long time, to start my own "program", aimed at 'empirical', pragmatic results. Personal situations do not allow me yet.

I have been in DR twice, almost a year each time, to small towns, dedicated full time to "teaching", children and adults, my way, at my own expense,

last time I did that had a wife and a child to support, to be able to travel to DR resigned as "chief" in a high technology company you wont beleive.

Aug 21, 2007
As I said, I have not found the real main educational problem in DR defined in a few words, not even in this thread,

If you have the means to contact Bob and Lindsay, tell them I will consider being a volunteer.

YOU have the means to contact ME! Send me a PM. We love volunteers. Know that my volunteers work. They don't just watch or walk away to do something else.

I, too, have a school- in Ghana. Our enrollment is now beyond 300 students. For the Dominican Republic, I don't need to do that. I love doing what we do, working with volunteers who are not afraid to work, who believe in the cause, and who love kids. I love watching our program grow, the enthusiasm of the kids, and the leaps and bounds of learning that takes place.

If you wish to be a part of something special and you aren't afraid of a little work in a hot, not too clean place, then contact me. We would welcome you.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
And I didn't mean to indicate that I didn't work alongside the volunteers. I do. We ALL do! We are hands-on every Wednesday and Friday morning, from 9 am - 11:30 - 12 noon. If you want to be part of something special, just let me know.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If I read it does that mean you'll read my links?

i do not need to read your links because i am not trying to sound authoritative in any of the threads you post in. i stay away from the political threads, the ones in which you make all the copy and paste offerings. then you come into an education thread and tell us that what the DR needs to do is to copy the Chilean model, which is the dumbest thing i have heard from you all day. man, you should be embarrassed to say something like that; you should be hanging your head in shame.