Gap Year in DR - Adventure Time

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ron, dv8 gave you a great suggestion, in respect to Jamaica. firstly, it is a dangerous country, but it depends upon who you are. the violence is mostly garrison politics stuff. supporters from the two main political parties killing off each other. then there are the drug dealer guys, just like in the USA. if you are just a normal guy going about his business, you will be relatively safe. as safe as it is here, maybe moreso. far less foreigners get killed, scammed, and robbed there. you speak english, and so do they. finally, the entire social and cultural scene there would, in my opinion, be way better for you.

so, put the bong away, and consider that option.

May 29, 2006
I lived in Estonia for about eight months 20 years ago. Pluses: pretty women who are educated, relatively cheap cost of living, and nice options for going out at night. Main downside? Being there anytime between Sept and May. The nights get VERY long there. I simply hopped on a plane and showed up with no idea where I was going to be staying. Eventually got myself a room living with a Russian couple. I think my rent back then $20 month and it also paid for the couples' rent.

One time I was in a club in a giant 400 year-old wine cellar and the band was on tour from Japan playing really good Ska. Great place with all kinds of small, grotto-like side rooms where you could get to know the local girls "better." Sure beat the hell out of Upstate NY...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ron, dv8 gave you a great suggestion, in respect to Jamaica. firstly, it is a dangerous country, but it depends upon who you are. the violence is mostly garrison politics stuff. supporters from the two main political parties killing off each other. then there are the drug dealer guys, just like in the USA. if you are just a normal guy going about his business, you will be relatively safe. as safe as it is here, maybe moreso. far less foreigners get killed, scammed, and robbed there. you speak english, and so do they. finally, the entire social and cultural scene there would, in my opinion, be way better for you.

so, put the bong away, and consider that option.

And so why aren't you there if it's so great, being a local and all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And so why aren't you there if it's so great, being a local and all.

because i am a grown man, and am empowered to make my own decisions without having to explain them to others.

do you see me asking what a guy from a cold first world country is doing living in the caribbean?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
because i am a grown man, and am empowered to make my own decisions without having to explain them to others.

Do you see me asking what a guy from a cold first world country is doing living in the caribbean?

you are giving someone advice that you don't follow.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP:

Seems like you've got a mind to explore. Cool, a bit of wanderlust is a very good thing, and certainly beats looking forward to your latest Xbox/facebook session back at home. Why don't you consider visiting DR for a week or two, and then explore latin america in general?

You're still of the age where you could properly appreciate the hostel experience, which is cheap. Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia are all adjacent to one another, and offer amazing opportunities to explore while saving cash. Plus, I can all but guarantee you'll meet some interesting (and interested) like-minded folk along the way.

Also, the options for Jamaica and Mexico should be more fully considered. You'll really get a kick out of those countries, man.

Don't get me wrong, DR is a fun country, and yes the chicas are very attractive. But all that will always be there. See the world, before wives and babies and mortgages and coaching your kid's team(s) creep into your life.

Trust me, in the future, you'll enjoy a journey through some never-visited-yet-really-interesting countries much more than spending a few months discussing the finer points chica chasing with some Sosua retirees.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DRob is correct. now you are young it is fun to sleep under the stars, on the floor, in a sleeping bag somewhere in the middle of nowhere. it is fun to hike, to go few days living on beer and dry bread. DR is more suitable as an adventure for a retired accountant who thinks having his flabby booty grabbed by a passing ho is daring and sinful. gap year is to explore and experience something challenging. volunteer, do extreme sports, sign up to an adventure. you'll have plenty of time to sip a cold one on a beach trying to see your toes pass the bierbauch when you are old, disillusioned and bitter like us ;)

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
True...the Colombia/Costa Rica track was def an option as well. Just looked into Jamaica and I really don't know. Colombia seemed really expensive from what I was able to see (excluding the hostels). I get the vibe that you all think I'm like 19-20. Lol is 26 to old to be taking 3-6 months off from life?

May 29, 2006
Go for it.

My first big adventure solo was in 1989 when I was 26. I worked as a carpenter for six months in Japan. Went on a two week ticket and stayed for six months. Some of my co-workers had hitch-hiked across Africa, taken the Trans-Siberian rail triip, raised camels in Australia and lived with a tribe in New Guinea.. Think ahead ten years. You could have had an adventure but decided to pass it up or you went for it. YOLO and all that.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Come on CC, that is not the real reason. Level with us? We won't judge you if you admit that you were in the "life". Suck one __ck and they call you a __ck __cker for life. I for one for one don't believe it for a second.

LTSteve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The best place for you to start is Jarabacoa. Many things to do and not as expensive as the beach towns. Enough expats to speak English to and the locals are very friendly so you can learn your espanish.

Jarabacoa? I think not. I have a house there and avoid visiting. BORING.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you are giving someone advice that you don't follow.

not everybody has to follow the same path. i can look at a special set of conditions, and make recommendations based on the particular dynamics. what might work for me does not necessarily work for someone else. i am an island man. i can live anywhere in the caribbean that i choose to. i will have no problems living in a latin country, because i speak fluent spanish. for this guy, he would be better off in an english speaking culture. he is an African American guy, and he would be better positioned in Jamaica. he is going to have issues finding much of an AA community here, whereas in Jamaica he would find quite a few people with whom he could make friends.

Last edited: