german man attacked and injured in sosua

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Another good reason to arm yourself in the DR so that you will never appear as the subject line in DV8s good news blog on DR1.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
It's not just expats. There are lot of tourists that think even worse. I've seen it a lot in other countries as well. Stabbing someone over words is never right, but a lot of NA tourist can't seem to grasp that dignity and pride can be even more important to someone that doesn't have anything else. It blew my mind in the past in Mexico when I heard a tourist say "What do they have to be proud of? This a poor dirty country full of thieves." You could see the hatred from everyone in earshot.

Personally, I do the stupid gringo tourist move with the moto drivers because it's pretty much 100% the truth. Repeatedly saying "no gracias" with a dumbfounded smile on my face seems to get me left alone. I used to explain in spanish that I wanted to walk or I was just going over there because I was raised to believe it was rude not to acknowledge someone, but that backfired and led to further conversation. So now, it's just "No grass cias eh migo" and a stupid grin. If they want to talk a little trash to their friends about me, who cares?

I actually use this tactic quite a bit for different things as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first, we do not know what happened. the guy could have just as well said "no, gracias", be polite, speak good spanish, whatever.
second, those who preach about being polite must not have lived here for any length of time or else they will know that at times stuff adds up and one gets into a frantic rage because of the smallest thing, it's simply a straw that breaks camel's back.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Most middle class I speak to here don't even vote because they feel nothing will change and the candidates are corrupt thieves! Very sad situation for such a beautiful area!

That could be said about certain "first world" countries I could think of!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
More to this than meets the eye..

I like to walk and do that route just about every day at any time of day or night and for the last five years I remain unpunctured..
So do many more of us residents who I see daily.

If I had been stabbed for every time I had declined a motocono or told them to get lost,,sometimes very rudely when they won't take no for an answer, I would be a colander by now.

More going on here than is presented, but DR1 will judge anyway.

There has to be more too it... Such as the drunk guy had a run in with the motoconcho guys before and was a jerk to them. Some of the guys who come here for the chicas treat the locals poorly. One thing I have learned is that you treat everyone with a degree of respect weather they deserve it or not. Late night drunk arguments always end up bad and nothing good happens after midnight...

Why does there have to be more to it? Gringos get shot/stabbed here all the time for not giving up their goods.
Like the German lady months ago who was just walking her dog with her husband and killed in the day in Sosua for not giving her purse up right away.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
More to this than meets the eye..
If I had been stabbed for every time I had declined a motocono or told them to get lost,,sometimes very rudely when they won't take no for an answer, I would be a colander by now.

That's hilarious.

Truely, no one knows what happened for sure except the people involved. It will be interesting to see if there is some crackdown on those moto drivers that are shady though. Not saying they all are but I find it odd that the only dominicans that have ever asked me if I wanted drugs were moto guys parked right next to PN guys.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's easy.
If it's not your country and you are outside your comfort zone then act.
Scurrilous gossip and un-educated guesses are more fun I guess.I could not stay in a country where I lived in mortal fear.

Don't expect the country to change for you.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why does there have to be more to it? Gringos get shot/stabbed here all the time for not giving up their goods.
Like the German lady months ago who was just walking her dog with her husband and killed in the day in Sosua for not giving her purse up right away.

Its not just "gringos" getting shot and stabbed. Happens to Dominicans all the time as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the German lady you are referring to was actually from the
Czech Republic.

Gringos usually get a "pass" while on the main street no matter whats been said but I guess there are
some exceptions.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
About 15 yrs ago, I was in Boca Chica 2-3 times for few days and witnessed terrible crimes against tourists/foreigners. One time, a tourist in front of me on the street was struck on the head with a beer bottle by a bar girl and was bleeding pretty bad in the neck area. Another time, an English speaking guy was surrounded and attacked by several street urchins.

My luck has not been good when it comes to avoiding crime in DR. After a long absence, I plan on coming to DR soon and am hoping my luck will change.

Another disturbing thing that I experienced in DR is the airport people who insist on carrying your bags for you. It seems that they tend to cuss you out vehemently if you refuse their help. I have been to many destinations and such crass behavior by local workers is rare.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Just slowly back away and say in a calm assertive voice, "no, my Fren, no my Fren."

Never run as this could trigger their predatory instinct.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
These airport scums trying to get your bags appeared to have just come in off the street, trying to steal your bags. If they actually work at the airport in an official capacity, they need supervision and training on how to treat travelers. They behaved like criminals -- courtesy is out of the question. They need to be rounded up and arrested. Airport is the first impression a traveler gets when entering a country; and to be abused by criminal types ... it's a disgrace.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
There has to be more too it... Such as the drunk guy had a run in with the motoconcho guys before and was a jerk to them. Some of the guys who come here for the chicas treat the locals poorly. One thing I have learned is that you treat everyone with a degree of respect weather they deserve it or not. Late night drunk arguments always end up bad and nothing good happens after midnight...

It's the moto conchos who are the pestilence and who lack respect!
Blabbering parrots whenever someone passes them, however some parrots have better education and manners.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
These airport scums trying to get your bags appeared to have just come in off the street, trying to steal your bags. If they actually work at the airport in an official capacity, they need supervision and training on how to treat travelers. They behaved like criminals -- courtesy is out of the question. They need to be rounded up and arrested. Airport is the first impression a traveler gets when entering a country; and to be abused by criminal types ... it's a disgrace.

with that attitude it is no surprise you get hassled........you goto someone else country and call them scum? really......?

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
with that attitude it is no surprise you get hassled........you goto someone else country and call them scum? really......?
I go to 3rd world countries quite a bit and rarely get into bad situations. Your logic is flawed: if you go to someone else's country, would you call someone a murderer because he murdered someone? really....? If a person is a scum or a murderer, I can call him that. It's not an attitude, it's fact. You have to call spade a spade, otherwise a bad situation will stay bad. Don't be delusional.

Last edited: