Getting a Dominican Passport

richard1

Mar 17, 2014
Be Carful, getting a Dominican passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verify with your embassy first, I am Dutch and my wife DR, our kids Dutch (8 and 13 year), we are in the proses of moving to the DR, at the DR Consulate told me the best for the kids is to get a DR passport. BUD according to Dutch law you loose your Dutch passport if you take a other nationality volontair, with 3 exeptions,
1) married to a Dominican
2) lived in the DR legal 5 year before you bacame18 years
3) the child is born in the DR

1)for me no problem
2)our kid 8 year after 5 year legal in the DR no problem
2)our kid 13 year will have a problem after 5 years legal in the DR she will be 19 and will loose here NL passport.

A Dutch national can loose his passport if he is longer that 10 years out of NL and did not renew his passport on time.

verify with your embassy please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Begin researching your options by contacting the DR Embassy/Consulate in the UK. They will outline your options, the costs and the process. From there you can choose what works best for you.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Be aware that currently the Passport Ministry is suffering a shortage of Dominican passport books. They will only grant one if there is a real emergency such as your current passport book is completely full of stamps, you lost your passport, etc. Simply renewing means you will pay now and they will put a sticker or stamp in your passport that is proof that you paid. Sometime in the future when there is an abundance of passport books, you go to the Passport Ministry and with your stickered passport they will exchange it for a new one at no extra cost to you. Repeat, you renew and the passport they give you back is the sameone you gave them, now with the extra sticker. You will not get back a new passport.

Anyone that is abroad and need to renew their Dominican passport, simply go to the nearest Dominican consulate and go through the passport renewal process including pay for one. Your expired passport will receive the sticker with which you will be able to use it while in a few months you go back to the consulate to get your new passport book.

An expired Dominican passport with space available for new immigration stamps will not be accepted by any immigration in any airport if it doesn't have the sticker evidencing that you renewed and paid.

Personally, the shortage of passport books appears to be the result of putting the wrong people in charge of the Passport Ministry. It could had been avoidable if someone was doing their job beyond collecting their check. A few days ago some people that were in charge have been removed by the President and taking their place are other people. The hope is that they will do their job and end the passport book shortage.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD Jones