Golf Carts Confiscated in Sosua

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friends elsewhere who have carts have had the speed limiter removed and the power juiced up .
They can do about 45-50mph...

They beef up the brakes too !! Just in case..........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Prior to Mom CB moving in with us in the DR, she lived in a large senior community where golf carts are a way of life. But all the streets in the community have golf cart lanes, and the croiss streets just outside the communuty have intersections and lights that accomodate golf cart crossings, not to mention warning signs everywhere, grestly reduced speeds and tight traffic enforcement. So diriving a golf cart is safe. There are even "golf carts only" parking at grocery stores and WalMart. The community has approx. 20.000 seniors (I guess I am one now, by definition) and is quite upscale.

But as JD mentioned, every golf cart has lights, horns, turnsignals, seat belts, windshields and weather protection, and many are quite fancy, really no longer for just golf.

I doubt local "golf carts" are similarly equipped, and certainly most main streets on the North Coast were not designed for a speed-limited vehicle to operate.

IMO, another road hazard are 4-wheelers designed for off-road use with no safety equipment or registration. They are also much faster and generally driven by hoologans with *zero* regard for the safety of others on the road.

I'm surprised you don't see more Meyers Manx or equivalent in the DR. One would think they'd check many of the boxes a golf cart does: small, relatively inexpensive, manuverable, inexpensive to operate, easy to park, but also have safety equipment and can take to the streets with good speed.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
As a walker this topic makes me wish they would confiscate crazy fast moto drivers and wrong way drivers. Seems that Andy character has ****ed off a lot of people from his last visit.  Maybe one of them was the cart driver.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Does that go for the public roads in Playa Cofresi also

Good question. I was just talking to my neighbor ( he owns a golf cart too ) who heard that golf carts were confiscated up at Lifestyles in PP as well as around Cofresi. Assuming that is true, does this sound anything like golf carts will be allowed to be driven in the near future? I dont think so. Damn, if you cant drive a golf car on resort property, that really sucks.

Now of course, if this happened up at Lifestyles, were they being driven on the resort grounds? I ask this because, I recall coming back from Santiago, passing by Lifestyles only to see a Lifestyle golf cart being driven along side the autopista. So were they the ones that got confiscated and not any actually on the resort grounds? To me, that would make sense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like some good deals to be had for those wanted to start golf courses. (At least on the golf carts.)

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Maybe with all Playa Grande and all the golf courses there is a shortage of golf carts in the country and a bounty on them.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe with all Playa Grande and all the golf courses there is a shortage of golf carts in the country and a bounty on them.

Not too far of a stretch. I do not believe many expatriates are importing their personal golf carts, so they are purchasing them from some place. The black market? Maybe the crackdown on golf carts has a little more to do than causing disruption to the daily lives of those who do not want to walk or feel that they live in Miami Beach circa 1980.

isn’t it kind of risky to drive around anything without insurance?  

I know of one idiot who I hope got his cart confiscated

one day I was just starting to reverse to parallel park my car in front of Banco Santa Cruz, had my right turn signal on and was already reversing when a golf cart swooped in and took my spot

it was some short, balding, dorky looking old man who pretended to not know what he did when I confronted him at the teller machine which was where I was going in the first place

I sincerely hope his cart has been nabbed

Haha sounds like one of my buddies, was his cart blue??  Lmao he would do that and not have noticed you probably. Lmao 

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
Haha sounds like one of my buddies, was his cart blue??  Lmao he would do that and not have noticed you probably. Lmao 

I don’t remember any characteristics of the cart.  But he knew exactly what he did, then walked right up to the ATM and quickly got some cash, he wasn’t confused like he was pretending.  This was on purpose, he’s just a dick.  He’s lucky I didn’t pepper spray his cart, lol!

You know, my car has security tint on the windows and back, he had no idea who or how many were in my car.  I think he’s crazy doing that to someone, what if I was some big guy who decided to pop him one or worse?  If I see him again I’ll taze him and then we’ll know if it’s your friend, lol!

eddywad

Dec 30, 2017
private cart private roads/paths...used by some in the "better" areas to collect the mail from the box...not for street use...on muchly used roads/areas of tourism etc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend was killed on one on Long Island - going for the mail

Dead...not much protection from a car crash

Yes, it was a 'better' area - to be sure.... muy mejor

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Five kids on an un-registered un-licensed,probably un-insured Indian or Chinese piece of cr^p driving the wrong way up a one-way is fine, Let's bash the golf carts instead..
I wonder why..?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
off topic post deleted by a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Five kids on an un-registered un-licensed,probably un-insured Indian or Chinese piece of cr^p driving the wrong way up a one-way is fine, Let's bash the golf carts instead..
I wonder why..?

I was gonna mention something like this before,, but was gonna say something to the effect of
IF this was really all " for the children", which is such a First world Mantra... then would they not logically be more concerned about the Infants literally sandwiched in between adults, no helmet, nothing.. not to mention 3 other people, one on the handlebars even. tooling down Autopista 5, BEFORE they start with the safety concerns of Golf Carts ??

it truly makes no sense ..
Unless you look at it from a $$$$ monetary point of View . .. and it all comes into very clear focus again ..

But if they just Flat out BAN them completely, with no chance of registering and insuring them and adding Lights or what not ,, then there is no way for their Little shakedown Scam to work.
So it still does not make sense..

But this is clearly NOT about the safety of " The children " , that is just complete Horse manure.