Gringa/sankie, even in santiago :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In my experience, the Foreigners who have embraced the Barrio culture, meaning married a girl from there and socialize with barrio folks have somewhat become the product of their own environment. The gringo may or may not realize how he is talking, but he feels actually proud of using such terminalogy when talking to anyone. Example: I have heard the forigners speak ghetto spanish. they would say " E' pa lante no vamos", "El no sabe na" (na=nada), "no to' son iguales" (to=todo) switching "R" for "i" as the ghetto cibaenos do, etc etc. They speak just like the motoconchos or the women who clean your house. The educated dominicans get a kick out of it becasuse they know where this gringo is coming from (barrio), some just keep a distance from this guy, girls might laugh outloud. Funny thing is the foreigner has never once thought of the consequence which are stemming from his surrounding. He may not realize how he talks or if he does, he is usually proud of it.
AZB

You got me AZB, haha. I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily proud of my imperfect Spanish but I am pleased at my ability to communicate.

Also, it is an American trait to admire "substance" more than "the package" so I am a product of my environment too. As far as people laughing at the way others talk, they do that to us southerners in the States too. The world is too big a place to worry about stuff like that IMO.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You got me AZB, haha. I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily proud of my imperfect Spanish but I am pleased at my ability to communicate.

This is exactly what i am pointing out, foreigners always settle for the minimum and sell out cheap in DR.
AZB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Squat, do you live here? If you do, what part of the island?
AZB
I am still here after 10 years... Right now I am in Las Terrenas. I understand your reasoning about the city life, especially Santiago, but the reason why I am being a bit harsh on you is that I escaped all that (I myself grew up in a major European capital), and I am unimpressed by big money and flashy items.

Nothing personal, but I just can't help top disagree with anyone judging others by their looks...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
In my experience, the Foreigners who have embraced the Barrio culture, meaning married a girl from there and socialize with barrio folks have somewhat become the product of their own environment. The gringo may or may not realize how he is talking, but he feels actually proud of using such terminalogy when talking to anyone. Example: I have heard the forigners speak ghetto spanish. they would say " E' pa lante no vamos", "El no sabe na" (na=nada), "no to' son iguales" (to=todo) switching "R" for "i" as the ghetto cibaenos do, etc etc. They speak just like the motoconchos or the women who clean your house. The educated dominicans get a kick out of it becasuse they know where this gringo is coming from (barrio), some just keep a distance from this guy, girls might laugh outloud. Funny thing is the foreigner has never once thought of the consequence which are stemming from his surrounding. He may not realize how he talks or if he does, he is usually proud of it.
AZB

I don't know about you, but I can speak like Jorge Ramos (Noticiero Univision) if needed... However, when in the campo, I usually tone it down.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is exactly what i am pointing out, foreigners always settle for the minimum and sell out cheap in DR.
AZB

I don't know if I was settling for the minumum. When I met my wife I thought she was good looking and she seemed to like me so I figured what the hey. I saw a lot of rich light skinned girls here on the island but they were just as ugly (physically unattractive to me anyway, mind you) as the white girls back home. Hey, what can I say, I've like girls of color ever since I was a very small boy. therefore, I wasn't certainly settling for less - I got everything I wanted thank you!

Also, seeing that I was raised in a strong Roman Catholic background I had no apprehensions about "hanging" with people of different color or background. Also, quite honestly, I don't like hanging with people who look down on other people becasue of their unfortunate economic situation in no part due to any error on their part.

BTW, if you didn't know I'm a ham so I purposely sometimes speak "campospeak" to have fun - re you're reference to na' instead of nada. Also, everyone knows that "E'pa'lante que vamos" is a slogan and is spelled and said incorrectly.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know if I was settling for the minumum. When I met my wife I thought she was good looking and she seemed to like me so I figured what the hey. I saw a lot of rich light skinned girls here on the island but they were just as ugly (physically unattractive to me anyway, mind you) as the white girls back home. Hey, what can I say, I've like girls of color ever since I was a very small boy. therefore, I wasn't certainly settling for less - I got everything I wanted thank you!

Also, seeing that I was raised in a strong Roman Catholic background I had no apprehensions about "hanging" with people of different color or background. Also, quite honestly, I don't like hanging with people who look down on other people becasue of their unfortunate economic situation in no part due to any error on their part.

BTW, if you didn't know I'm a ham so I purposely sometimes speak "campospeak" to have fun - re you're reference to na' instead of nada. Also, everyone knows that "E'pa'lante que vamos" is a slogan and is spelled and said incorrectly.
Chip, I am not talking about your wife, I have never met her. I was refering to the way many expats speak, just to be able to communicate in a certain basic way and not learn any further.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I am not talking about your wife, I have never met her. I was refering to the way many expats speak, just to be able to communicate in a certain basic way and not learn any further.
AZB

No problemo buddy.

I also think that I speak fairly correctly but have the tendency at times to speak "campospeak" to get laughs. Apparently though that isn't well recieved here in the DR, maybe people aren't really lauging with me but at me, ay carumba, and I thought I was funny!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
No problemo buddy.

I also think that I speak fairly correctly but have the tendency at times to speak "campospeak" to get laughs. Apparently though that isn't well recieved here in the DR, maybe people aren't really lauging with me but at me, ay carumba, and I thought I was funny!

Next time try Ay caramba! maybe they won't laugh at you.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know about you, but I can speak like Jorge Ramos (Noticiero Univision) if needed... However, when in the campo, I usually tone it down.

Something tells me, with whom you socialize with, I am sure its not needed.
AZB

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
You can divide this into two parts-some people go to the DR strictly for cheap sex. To which Kyles' point is valid.

So why bother trying to hook up with people of better class, education and status when hooking up with whores/sankies is easier and you are getting what you want?

Then there are those who travel there frequently to the DR and wouldn't mind meeting other types of people. But there is a way to go about this and it all depends on how you present and carry yourself.

Chip, maybe you are misunderstanding AZB about his view. I for one can tell you that I do not discriminate, and this has caused problems.

Dating a chica from the barrio is just something I could not recommend to anyone. She will make it easy for you initially, you will have great sex and your vacation will be that much more fun with companionship.

But I can pretty much guarantee you that if you try to keep in touch and make plans to spend time with her every single time you go back it will be a nightmare.

Your life will be inundated with this persons' problems. And every phone call, every e-mail will be dominated by a litany of world-shattering events.

Mothers' sick.
Daddy's dead. No money for funeral. He was the only breadwinner.
Need money for school. Need money for clothes.
I haven't eaten in three days.
I don't have rent money, I'm being kicked out of my corrugated tin-roof shack.
I was robbed on my way out of the Western Union, so the money you sent me is gone. I need more.
I can't find a job. Or the job I have doesn't pay me enough to live on.
My daughter needs surgery and the operation costs 40,000 pesos.
I have soooooooooo many problems, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Now before anyone comes to the barrio dwellers' defense, because everyone has their good and humble barrio friends who are too proud and dignified to behave in this fashion, this is more than likely the scenario that a tourist will run into.

Keep this crap up and you find yourself hating the DR and thinking that ALL Dominicans are the same.

So AZB does not advocate being classist or elitist. He is just being realistic. If you think dealing with a person that will bring you down emotionally with their problems and will never give you a moments' rest because they are trying to drown you in their misery is what Dominican culture is all about, think first what the hell you are doing, with whom and why.

These people only understand one thing-and that is what they can get from you morality, dignity and self-respect be damned.

Now if its for one evening of fun, then hey-no problem. But AZB isn't talking about that.

He is talking about the tourists that parade around with their whore/sanky and think they have the greatest thing on their arms. THIS I understand.

And all he is saying is that if you're going to do that, why not be with someone you can actually be proud of? One that isn't out to suck you dry and ruin your overall opinion of what is a wonderful country?

And I always prided myself on not judging a chica because she came from a humble background but if you don't want to deal with the above-mentioned situation, don't mess with this type of person unless it is short-term only.

These chicas will make it easy for you and in it lies the appeal. But the psychological pounding guaranteed to come your way if you try to make a go of one of these relationships isn't worth it.

So its' OK to be discriminating when you're tired of the whores/sankies. But it must be done right.

Excelent!!!!!!!!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
In a country where connections are everything, you should be aware that your behaviour, dress, who you are married too, and your manner of speaking are opening and closing doors for you on a daily basis.

I have a serious problem here because my spanish was learned through my business interactions. Since i am in farming and construction i have learned a very bad accent. Thankfully i am respected on other levels because of my track record here, but i still see the reactions of some people when i drop my S.

I often notice that those who pride themselves on being contrarian (myself included) are often using it as an excuse for not being able to succeed in the worlds arena. Otherwise known as "sour grapes".

SUSBOS5

Jul 28, 2007
Nothing personal, but I just can't help top disagree with anyone judging others by their looks...

Everyone does it, everyday. It is the human nature. You look at someone and think something about them right away. If it is a business person dressed in a neatly pressed suit and shined shoes, you assume they are just that - a business person with a good job or career. If it is a person on the street in clothes that one may wear to clean the yard or do spring cleaning, you would feel some sort of pity for them that they didn't have a job or enough money to take care of their family. But you could have it completely backwards... that man dressed neatly - may have just came back from a funeral for someone in his poor neighborhood and he doesn't even have a job. And that woman in old clothes with her hair a mess and a kid on her hip - just ran out to get something at the market - she has a BMW and a nice villa but just didn't care what others thought of how she looked a that moment.

Take a minute next time you look at a stranger - you WILL judge them. You may not like that you do it, but you do it.

Unless - of course - you are somehow of a moraly higher class than the rest of the human beings in the world.

And if you are congratulations - you have achieved something no one else could do.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
next time you are walking down the street and you see a filthy, barefoot, plump, unshaven little man spinning slowly with his hands up in the air and singing "LaLaLaLaLALALALaLaLa" at 7:30 in the morning, try not to pass judgement and walk on the other side of the street. Instead walk up and ask him what he is so happy about. Good judgement is an important survival instinct.

BTW: that is a real person who lives in my town. he pretty much does that all day long. We have another who can talk in rhyme continously. Really part of the local color.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Take a minute next time you look at a stranger - you WILL judge them. You may not like that you do it, but you do it.

Unless - of course - you are somehow of a moraly higher class than the rest of the human beings in the world.

And if you are congratulations - you have achieved something no one else could do.

Not so pal - some of us are actually raised by our our parents and faith this way. This is not a big deal.

This is not to say that some type of judgment may go on, for instance if I see a young kid with his pants halfway down to his knees in public with gold teeth, it leaves me wondering what he is into. Then again, if I see a pastor I don't necessarily think the guy is a saint.

The secret is that one should not "feed" off of judging other people in order to feel better about himself(herself). Once you learn this when you look at people you realize that you are no better than them nor vice versa for whatever economic situation that they may be in. One needs to realize that people change too and will always not be in the same situation one day - for example that kid with his pants down to his knees could end being a pimp and drug dealer, but then again he could end up being a good father and loving husband, who knows - not me and you that's for sure.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I think one should use a bit of common sense and not fall into any extreme judgment or extreme theories... I understand completely the views of the posters I don't agree with, as I am pragmatic, I know most folks (me included) tend to judge by the looks. But that doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Of course, there's a lot of truth in AZB's posts, I don't say he is wrong. I just wouldn't react the same way. We've all seen our share of strange situations, and I don't get easily shocked.

As of rubbing shoulders with high society, it's like another popular activity : the ones that talk about it the most might not be the one who actually get to do it very often...

steelmet

Jun 21, 2007
may i put a new post? I have read everything you guys have all stated.... American in NNJ, traveled all over, and have to agree with AZB and a few others... I know that there is such a thing as high and low class assumptions. Never more obvious than in DR, at least in my travels anyway... Do have friends from there, and have friendsa that went back there, and they talk about it all the time....... The world of haves and have nots, as far as the little white girl with the bum lol well that happens everywhere, and women have done it many times before, dated outside there range...To each there own, some day, one day, everyone wakes up..... praise be to AZB whoever he is for calling it the way he sees it....

Status
Not open for further replies.