• No, but will be getting one soon.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • No and I don't plan to get one.

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Knowing that I would not be posting this as I would have been dead had I NOT had one. My vote is, and always will be YES........

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Its not for everyone. That being said being beaten or stabbed to death is not for me. Getting robbed really isnt my cup of tea either. Be sure to kill your attacker and check his ID so you can ambush his family after the funeral or during. That takes the wind out of the revenge sails.

Sky Im sorry what you went through but Im glad you came out alive.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
So! Hearing the above posters, it appears that you will get robbed no matter what. If not by the robber, then by the family members. I will assume that your lawyer and the police will also have their hands in your pockets. It might be cheaper to get mugged the first time, lol.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi guys, I cant believe some of u guys speaking up against owning guns. I live in a small village in the countryside in a nice house. I always carry a hand gun when I am out, spaecially if I m going to santiago or puerto plata. If I travel at night I also pack my 12 gauge shotgun in my pickup... Of course at home I keep my guns handy and own a couple of big dogs( they scare people more than guns Ive noticed.) I would never dream of killing another human being, but guns are a detterent against robbery and mugging and I will protect my wife and house. Saddly here in the dr, lots of people own guns and things often get out of hand, with the help of brugal of course.
Last month there was a guy throwing bottles in the local cabaret, 100 m down the road. He gets beating up by a couple of clients, leaves and comes back later with 2 friends who burn a couple of motorbikes in the parking....Out come the bike owners 9mm blazing, and hey pronto gun battle in the street. ( this is in a rural area where everyone knows eachother...). I was actually quite scared and happy to own a shotgun, highwalls and 2 big dogs....

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Hi guys, I cant believe some of u guys speaking up against owning guns. I live in a small village in the countryside in a nice house. I always carry a hand gun when I am out, spaecially if I m going to santiago or puerto plata. If I travel at night I also pack my 12 gauge shotgun in my pickup... Of course at home I keep my guns handy and own a couple of big dogs( they scare people more than guns Ive noticed.) I would never dream of killing another human being, but guns are a detterent against robbery and mugging and I will protect my wife and house. Saddly here in the dr, lots of people own guns and things often get out of hand, with the help of brugal of course.
Last month there was a guy throwing bottles in the local cabaret, 100 m down the road. He gets beating up by a couple of clients, leaves and comes back later with 2 friends who burn a couple of motorbikes in the parking....Out come the bike owners 9mm blazing, and hey pronto gun battle in the street. ( this is in a rural area where everyone knows eachother...). I was actually quite scared and happy to own a shotgun, highwalls and 2 big dogs....

Exactly.........this is how it is

Guns and irresponsable boozers do not mix.

I have been armed my whole like, always have carried since I was 19 or 20 years old, and never have had to draw a weapon with out just cause, can not rememer any time before today, and was today only because I did not know who started shooting and from where, but once our side all pulled out weapons, there was peace.

Passive deterent is best.

Meanwhile eyes wide open.

& always g'luck

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So! Hearing the above posters, it appears that you will get robbed no matter what. If not by the robber, then by the family members. I will assume that your lawyer and the police will also have their hands in your pockets. It might be cheaper to get mugged the first time, lol.

i'm not worried about getting robbed in my house and although there is a possibility of getting mugged I think the chances are pretty low considering where I live, and what my routine and area of travel is. Your own personal habits are the biggest safety issue most of you will have.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Everyone is pretty much aware that gun ownership is quite common in the Dominican Republic. Most people seem to own a gun for personal security, while others do so because they like them.

What does the DR1 community think about this?

Do you own a gun? If you do, do you leave it at home or in the car or always carry it with you?

Do you think guns a necessity in the Dominican Republic?

In the USA I have permits to carry and know I can protect myself by shooting and trust the legal system and a lawyer so I am not put in jail for good. With the corrupt system in the DR, I would not dare shoot even in self defense. I would stick with mace, pepper spray, knives and things like that. I would not want to turn into a piece of target practice for the policia nacional or spend time in a third world prison system.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
4yrs and my damn .357 SNUB hasn't been fired yet.

If it's really been 4 years and not fired, you shouldn't be carrying it. You need regular practice to be any good with a hand gun, and twice as much with a snub. If you ever do use it, you'll end up hitting some poor innocent bystander.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If it's really been 4 years and not fired, you shouldn't be carrying it. You need regular practice to be any good with a hand gun, and twice as much with a snub. If you ever do use it, you'll end up hitting some poor innocent bystander.

If I can remember? Ol' Bernie Goetz was pretty handy with a .38 snubby in that subway car back in 1984!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If everybody had guns and knew how to use them we would be much safer......... or would we???

Ex-Navy sniper, another military vet killed at Texas gun range - CNN.com

That's a poor example! He was ambushed and most likely had his back turned to him. He believed that this guy was cool and obviously could be trusted as a fellow vet. That's the M.O. of criminals. They will hide their intentions until they are ready to strike and they will only strike when you are at your most vulnerable. I've been a member at gun ranges where people killed themselves and one of the instances, I looked into this guy eyes and he avoided all eye contact and he gave off real bad vibes. I sat right across the table from him (staring at him) while he loaded a semi-automatic 9mm carbine and disappeared into the bathroom for 15 minutes. He was not friendly, he did not engage in conversation and he walked around with his head down! He spooked me so bad, I kept my gun loaded and chambered just in case. God forbid because he was walking around with a loaded carbine acting weird and I wasn't taking any chances. After a while of this, I said F**k this, I had enough! Packed up, went home and 15 minutes later he put the gun under his chin and blew his head off! Sad!!
GUNSHOT SUICIDE AT RANGE - NYPOST.com

Every once and while Police Officers are ambushed and killed! It happens! You don't have eyes in the back of your head and walking around all torqued-up is dangerous to everybody. Guns are dangerous and they will always be dangerous in the wrong hands! Having a gun DOES NOT & WILL NOT guarantee your safety, because you never know!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'll guard your body and I'm great at massage.
Your hubby doesn't read this forum does he? Hope he has no gun!

he does't read it but i was kind enough to inform him about your post. no guns at home but he's sharpened his set of global knives and is inquiring about your address.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
"FISH" said that "Normal People" should not own a gun.
Guess that's reason enough for me to have one!
I live next door to a general in the "Policia national"
He advises against shooting anyone, even a thief.
He said if you don't kill him, he'll be back to get you.
If you do kill him, his friends and/or family will come back to get you.
One way or another, you WILL go to jail, until the results of a lengthy investigation is done.
I would only use deadly force to protect the lives of my family, or myself inside our own home.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This is disturbing news...Wouldn't your DR family cover for you?

I have always assumed (and been told so) that my DR extended family does cover for me... when it becomes clear that you are connected, things should change, or should they?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Since I feel strongly about firearms I will pitch in. If you want the responsibility of owning a firearm then by all means get one. If you dont well then dont. Its so simple. I can think of a hundred excuses people can make pro or con. For me the several people on this site who have defended their lives with a firearm speak volumes more than any of the soicalist european guns are for govt types who tend to disagree.

You do not have to be a crack shot or a master pistoleer to carry a pistol. You have to be safe and know how to shoot. It does take some effort. There are people who do the opposite and it works out for them so what do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
For what my opinion is worth, having been threatened by a drunk American with a gun in a Cabarete bar when I tried to calm an argument, I feel satisfied that routinely carrying a gun is not a sensible option.

Last edited by a moderator: